Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

MickeyFinn posted:

I also fly Delta and I am pleased when my routes include a CRJ cause it is upgrade time. Also, good lord does JFK suck. Is LGA any better?

HAHAAHHAAHHAHAAH no. LGA is probably the worst Airport in the US, but I like it because I can get to the airport in like 15 minutes. I actually like JFK, but AA has a pretty good terminal (8) there. It just sucks getting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

DJCobol posted:

Nope, that spot is reserved for EWR.

At least EWR is "somewhat modern." LGA is just comically lovely inside.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

tomapot posted:

I book all my business travel through our internal website (backend is sabre or something). Invariably after making my selections it makes some suggestions to save the company money. "Please consider this LGA -> MCO flight instead to save $100." Uh, no. I live in Jersey, it is a $50 car service ride to EWR, but it is like $150 for the car ride to LGA or JFK. That's not saving any money. Besides its my department's travel budget and I'll spend it however I want. And I want to not spend it on a death ride through the city trying to make it to one of those other airports.

Yeah I would not use LGA if I lived in Jersey, but if you live in NYC it's super.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gently caress Flyertalk. The gas thing is such a shithead thing to do that really has very little tangible benefit to the perpetrator.

AAdvantage: Current Platinum (due to status challenge), 23,600 EQMs / 34 EQS - will be at min Gold in '15
Skymiles: Current Diamond, 75,000 MQMs / 45 EQS - will be at min Platinum in '15
National: No idea, I think I already hit exec elite this year again
Marriott: Gold, 57 nights

It actually looks like I haven't been flying as much as last year in terms of frequency, but I'm certainly up there in terms of flown miles (though some MQM are rollover). Weird. Tempo for travel schedule will be quite high going forward, though.

The big debate in my mind is whether to try to hit DM or EXP.

Pro EXP:
I'm flying a lot to Chicago recently, and AA is direct
EXP is a bit easier to attain (from scratch) and has somewhat better benefits compared to DM

Pro DM:
AA has been pissing me the gently caress off recently
Better international network out of Boston to places I try to go (Paris, Rome, London, Amsterdam)

I think the combination of PM and EXP is probably the most beneficial to me, but god drat AA has been irritating me of late.

If you are Boston based (my condolences) do not use AA. Back when I made the awful mistake of moving there for a brief period of time, I basically had to set aside entire days of travel time to get anywhere. The most logical Intl Hub is JFK and they only do like 3 flights a day there. I ended up driving most of the time since my other alternative was 6 hour layovers.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Ynglaur posted:

I need some help Goons. Does anyone have a decent list of international travel legs which are longer than 10 hours? I'm pushing a business case that a particular travel requirement is a little silly, and want to provide examples of the types of legs that are actually that long.

Here's 30 of them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-stop_flight#Currently_scheduled_.28top_30.2C_by_distance.29

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, I'm out of Boston. Generally, Delta is good because they can push you in to decent international hubs at Atlanta going south, or Amsterdam/CDG for anything across the Atlantic.

Yep, stick with Delta. Your SWUs don't work on other oneWorld carriers, so the ones that fly out of BOS aren't too feasible unless you like coach. Otherwise you get to sit around JFK and never get those hours back.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

You guys are lucky, a lot of the companies I've worked at basically say "No Biz unless you are a VP or higher in the company."

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

air- posted:

I see families rolling through all the time at DFW and that boggles me considering it's almost always busy. Then there's the random people who get bumped up to pre and they hold up the line since they don't know how it works.

I suppose it's also a Sunday morning, and I'm lucky I haven't gone through a small airport where they close the line/don't have one.

"Keep your shoes on."

"Keep your shoes on."

"DO I NEED TO TAKE MY SHOES OFF???"

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Lyon posted:

Hmm, I hope PHL doesn't get hit too bad... is there anything official or is this all speculation at this point?

Nothing official yet.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Small White Dragon posted:

I agree with you. We have a number of people that fly in and out of the southeast, usually connecting between mainline and regional jets, and CLT sucks. We hear far more poo poo about it than any of the other hubs.

While I agree ATL is far better, DFW seems to be the favorite. You can generally get between any two gates fairly quickly.

USAir has really horrible hubs in general. CLT is bad but PHL is a nightmare.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

sellouts posted:

I felt like this was a buzzfeed top8 secret travel trips thing.

People with any sort of status really do this? Is it with petty cash or are you not expensing it?

No, I've been SPG Platinum/Concierge for a zillion years and I have never paid a tip. Asking usually works just as well.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Ynglaur posted:

Is there any meaningful difference between Economy and Business Class on an international flight on United? Does it guarantee me a power outlet and enough room to open a 12.5" laptop? (Coach does neither.)

Yes. There is little meaningful difference between Biz and First, but econ and biz are worlds apart.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Aristotle Animes posted:

Ouch, sorry. If it helps I just booked myself to work over labor day weekend in Missouri. Wee. : (

I've been remarkably lucky with cancellations. In the last 8 years I've been stranded a few times but it didn't hurt me or anything except one time in SAN, wx issues delayed and I would miss my connect home so instead of getting a bleary eyed hotel in SFO at midnight I got one at 9 in San but they couldn't pull my bag so I had to do it in the same clothes I had been wearing since 8am the previous day and without my toiletry bag. My bath products keep me from feeling like an animal. Go ahead and laugh.

Travel tip: Sanitary hand wipes are good for getting pit odor out of a shirt. And the Double Tree in San Diego is a bunch of crap... whoever heard of a DT a suite without robes. INDEED! :-P

Travel Tip: Showering and deodorant are also good for not getting pit odor in the first place.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

PCjr sidecar posted:

I had heard (in this thread?) that the NEXUS interviewers expect you to have a justification for applying to NEXUS, e.g. travel to Canada regularly.

They do. Leisure, or visiting a friend frequently is a reason, so it doesn't have to be business related.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Aristotle Animes posted:

gently caress everything about the TSA.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

caberham posted:

I just thought, Oh it's some crazy rich guy going all :spergin: until I saw

:negative:

Not too many cities for a first class flyer :downsrim:

Wish he reviewed local food duty free snacks instead.

I am creeped out that he has a "Girls of Denver" section.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Mackieman posted:

That's incredibly dangerous; people should read up on Air Midwest 5481 before they do stupid things like that.

b-b-b-butttt my weight is a trigger for me waaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah the idea was totally rad as heck but uh the reality of the situation with hijackings and such came around right as MCI opened up.

TWA used to connect through there. I think there are WN connections now too.

Yeah, TWA had big plans for MCI being a big International Hub - you fly to middle America from overseas and every stop is just about equidistant from each other. This is why you see the streets being named after foreign cities (Paris St. blah blah)

Their vision for building the airport was basically flawed from the get-go (They modeled it after JFK - meaning you can park at the terminal and walk right up, except unlike MCI, JFK had plenty of room for passengers) and based on the design, large intl jets (namely the 747) couldn't park in the terminal without people spilling out everywhere in the cramped spaces, making it useless. They found this out then it was too late, and the city wouldn't rebuild. Then TWA moved to STL instead. Whoops.