Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

I don't have status with the airlines, because I don't fly a lot. That's my point. I have top tier status with 5 hotel chains, but when I made Delta Silver a few years back it was a minor miracle.

$100 for 5 years of global entry that includes precheck is worth the cost.

Also Amex plat covers it as part of the membership fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

FunOne posted:

Precheck eligibility is binary. Once you're in, you're in. I've lost my status with American but still used pre-check on Memorial day out of SFO flying to DFW.

EDIT: The lovely thing is when they decide to be really stingy with it to prove some kind of point. MSP was doing a 2 out of 3 denied bullshit last time I was there.

Probably just anecdotal but when I got it via status I would get denied. Once I got it via trusted traveler number from global entry I am like 24 of 25.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Are you precheck via status or via global entry or other US govt program

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Given the wildly varying costs of airfare I don't like the idea of being able to buy status. BIS miles works for me.

5 hour delay to JFK, not getting in until 1am I love travel!!!!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My tip is to fly to and from airports that have TSA pre check :smug:

But no, I love Bihn bags, they are well thought out and constructed.

I don't ever fly southwest but I would hope that they would start printing tsa precheck approved on their boarding passes like American does. That helps things dramatically along with the pre scanner before the TSA agent so you don't waste their time if you didn't clear.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

AirTrain to LIRR Jamaica stop to Penn Station if you're not taking car service or über.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ugh. Booked a trip with my boss on the same reservation and now gotta list him for the upgrade as well. I know it won't clear for him but I really don't want to risk it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Fryhtaning posted:

In other words, does the fact that a job was advertised at 35% travel carry any weight at all once you're hired?

You're an employee. Not a friend. They can do whatever they want. It's not in their financial interests to run you off as soon as you're hired (which is why you can trust thats a pretty safe estimate) but they can pretty much do whatever unless you sign an employee contract. But even them that's hard to make them enforce and I seriously doubt you're in an industry or position / skill level where they would do this.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

At my small company I use my card and don't really care about the time to reimburse less than 2k. More than that though and I would have a check cut to me within 7 days or so.

6k worth of flights is no joke. What kind of multi city itinerary is this?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think I am going back to a Tom Bihn bag. I really want a 1 bag solution, laptop included. The tri star looks too good. Then I can retire my Timbuk2 to my daily walking commute.

And my goal this year was to start chipping away at the miles I have while they're still useful. Mission accomplished then I start getting more unexpected 5+ hr flights and they are starting to add up again!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Spend those AA miles before the devaluation happens!!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You do, but should be thinking ahead of popular travel times. The summer of 14 is closing for good saver availability, especially on partners. Holidays for 2014 will be open before we know it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

In February on Southwest it will be 70 points per dollar vs 60 points per dollar. Why give that away?

I save for big goals (explorer awards) and then try to zero out when I am ready for redemptions. Their value isn't going to go up!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What gateways are they going in at? That's a pretty big devaluation of the card in terms of saving you an outright fee. I feel like there are a ton of ACs, they seem to be at every airport I go to.

Not to mention the dedicated help an AC provides you when things go wrong or you have a question.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Going back to Tom Bihn backpack style carryon from a messenger bag. Looking forward to a European carry on compliant bag that will let me one bag travel for 4+ days.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I got my platinum last year due to about 10k miles in ORC for flights that I never took. Was pretty happy with that.

Had to take ORC because the flights the previous day were so boned. Ever flown JFK to MIA at 18000 feet? Yeah, it sucked, we couldn't go any higher due to weather and the winds absolutely ripping higher. Then the emergency landing after that. Good times.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Uncle Jam posted:

This is frequent flying! How many miles would you have? On Delta you generally need 100k-125k just for asian economy ticket. They advertise lower rate days but good luck finding them.

They don't call em skypesos for nothing!

Lax-hkg-KUL
KUL-sin
Sin-Syd
Syd-akl
Akl-hkg
Hkg-dxb
Dxb-amm-LHR
LHR-dfw-lax

All for 180k in business on aa / OneWorld.

In reality it's likely 100k butt in seat miles to earn that in 1 year. More if you have previous status or a credit card. Just gotta choose the right alliance and program.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Midjack posted:

Literally never worth the additional premium over business.

When redeeming miles on Cathay I couldn't disagree more. The increase is negligible for one of the most awesome experiences in the air.

Edit: I need to do more business in Singapore. Qantas business lounge has table service for food and puts every US lounge to shame. It's not quite The Wing but drat. The barramundi is on point.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 22, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm not following his statement then but sure. With JetBlue and aa's new planes the difference will be very close to international business. It'll be on like 3 routes but I fly them pretty regularly. But you're right. It's a shame because the service I get on premium cabins on 2-4 hour regional Asian flights is often better then the 14 hour long hauls. It doesn't have to be the way it is in the US, dammit!

I hope the trend of plated cook to order meals in the lounge before a flight continues. Then you could leave the first class to bottles of Dom, billecart salmon and caviar and a big rear end bed with private transfers at each end.

Last night was the first time I've ever seen a flight attendant shoot a cork across the cabin and cause the bottle to erupt all over. She was very embarrassed and it was before the curtains were closed so I'm sure to economy it looked like the party was starting like it does in movies.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Try it on emirates, cathay or Singapore once. You won't say the cabin staff is rude, at least.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Man. Malaysia airlines and to a lesser extent Royal Jordanian really blow

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just really weak customer care. Flights very late for no reason given. No notice of late boarding so you leave the lounge for no reason. No mention or lounge passes unless you ask. No recognition of alliance status benefits unless specifically mentioned. Bags improperly tagged unless you check it. No sync of information systems for transiting passengers (I shouldn't be asked to produce bag numbers while at a transit desk) Children allowed to run up and down the aisles below 10k feet while on approach. No immigration benefits to premium cabin flyers . Poor drink service timings. No real follow up on customer service.

Then again, Qantas is almost as bad at least they get lounges right.

RJ isn't as bad. I actually like their food setup on the trolly. But man AMM sucks for transiting passengers and those flights had pound for pound the worst passenger conduct I've ever seen. And on my flights their business class was treated like family class with multiple small children running absolutely crazy during the entire flight with the parents sleeping and leaving the FA's to be babysitters.

Maybe I'm just cranky as I've done something like 37k miles in the past 3 or so weeks but the good (Cathay and new AA biz on 773) really stand out.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm sure it just varies on crew. Their long haul biz hard product sucks pretty badly. I guess they have some sort of pad or cover that can help with it when it comes to sleeping, I wouldn't know because I was never asked if I would like one despite staying up well into the meal service.

I flew one medium haul intl biz and one short haul intl biz. Maybe the A380 is better. I wouldn't pay to fly them to Australia though unless it was economy because at that point it's all about lowest price.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A330 with skybed out of SIN. It was supposed to be 744 but got changed a few months ago.

That was realistically going to be my last flight on the upper deck of a 744 :(

Edit: the smart gate stuff in Australia owned pretty hard. My wife didn't use it because she wanted her passport stamped but I didn't care. It was like magic

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Also depends on the fare class booked.

The price of the bag if it's not free is pretty small in comparison to a last minute ticket, no?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, FEBO is a pretty standard acronym and it applies to most US airlines but still good to know and share! :)

For Conrad, the points are killer at that level of resort. I would encourage you to look at the Conrad in the Maldives. Their overwater suites look incredible. I wish they did some sort of points + cash on those.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Not a bad deal even if you can't requalify for EXP in 2015, because assuming they keep their soft landing policy going forward you'll have some kind of status till the end of 2017.

There's no soft landing this year.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Best first class availability is through SFO actually!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The new gates at TBIT that Cathay uses are actually pretty nice. Decent restaurants. I actually don't mind TBIT aside from the terrible lounge

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yes, I like to think I am pretty familiar with AA miles. To answer your questions:

34k isn't much, as you're in a thread where people are clearing 200k+ (redeemable) miles per year before credit card spend. But it's a start! Personally I'm of the opinion that miles don't get fun until you've got 100k or more miles per person traveling. Some will disagree and swear about the 25k saver awards but that's not my game.

Mileage expiration (this is easily googled): Your AAdvantage miles do not expire as long as you have qualifying account activity at least once every 18 months. Qualifying account activity is defined as any AAdvantage mileage accrual or AAdvantage award redemption. Your online AAdvantage Account Summary displays the number of Miles with Expiration Deferred and the earliest date that they could expire. This date is extended for another 18 months every time that you have qualifying account activity.

Using miles to upgrade: you can use miles for aa flights and selected partners with certain fare classes. You should call to check availability because they are heavily, heavily limited. You can subscribe to services such as kvs tool if you want to check it. Be aware that upgrading using miles often has a copay that is a deterrent to many.

Miles are good for free flights, upgrades, plenty.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 20, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

FT is good to read the forum topics to see if there's any news you may have missed (but don't actually read the thread!) and their AA Explorer award is the best. And the rental car coupons do seen to work for others but never for me.

When I got in on the 100k deal it's was several years ago when the economy was completely in the toilet. I would be shocked if that level of deal came back anytime soon. I still kick myself for not taking out the business card and making my wife do the same.

For credit cards you can get the AA card, not a great bonus, but get it, cancel, then get SPG Amex. You get a 5k bonus for every 25k you transfer to AA. Unless you book thousands of dollars regularly that will yield the 2x bonus miles on $ spent on AA the SPG will likely come out ahead.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I prefer SPG Amex because I can transfer so many places but up to you.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

semicolonsrock posted:

Has anyone tried to do one of the platinum challenges on AA?

Sure what's your question about it?

Platinum is great but depending on your routes upgrades may range from likely to impossible. With credit cards now giving a free bag and early boarding in most cases the biggest benefit is 2x RDM if you care about that sort of thing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I fly transcons almost exclusively out of lax so it's a different story for me. I just don't want to paint the picture that it's upgrade city once you hit plat, although with no double RDM last year in a month it might get a lot better.

Or I fly to major conferences or events where there's a ton of paid F

Basically if you're paying the fee make sure it's worth it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

air- posted:

100k miles after $10k spend in 3 months.

Uggghhhhh. I had vowed to quit and then this happens. (Thanks!)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yep. So your flights had better be in a good fare class!

All the details: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Challenge_(AA)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

AA does not give you fewer or extra miles for certain fare buckets. For most people, the points (fare) system is just an alternative elite qualification system that you can ignore.

Yep. It's a way to fast track paying Y/J/F passengers to status. That's all.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bolind posted:

. (I hear it's a royal bureaucratic pain in the rear end in Dubai

I was there 5 weeks ago, this couldn't be more incorrect. With or without express immigration it took 5 minutes. Exiting took even less. The worst part was the women's taxi (not misogynistic, just the worst taxi experience I've ever had by a mile. She couldn't find the burj khalifa, it's the tallest thing in the desert. )

Also if it's bedtime in your head is it the best idea to sleep? Won't that prolong your jet lag?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Cool, I'll give it a shot. I've heard that they only match to Platinum, not EXP, which would probably be a deal-breaker for me.

The EXP match is all but impossible. There were some reports of them doing it last year for the first time but I'm not sure of the requirements. It's maybe worth a call. If you've got paid J or F I would make sure to mention that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I was booking exit rows as a gold on AA. So basic status will likely work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

I've found that booking early also helps tremendously when getting exit rows. Even 4 weeks out vs 2 weeks seems to make a difference.

Also check within 100 hours regularly. Lots of people that are upgraded come from those seats. And bulkheads can usually be held by the airline under airport control so asking for one at check in can be ok as long as you have status or are otherwise entitled to them.