Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cacafuego posted:

I'm an adult that doesn't require hand holding. I realize I'm a cranky old man here, but I don't want to talk to anyone or have any interaction - I want to pick what I want without having to go to a desk or have someone choose what I get. Do any of Avis, Enterprise or Sixt offer these options?

You aren’t being cranky, you’re being a professional.

I don’t rent all too often but avis will let you just get in the car. Very similar to hertz.

Sixt always requires a counter visit in my experience, but they tend to have a nicer fleet and I don’t mind international rentals with them.

Enterprise sucks for the reason you highlighted. Unless you need a specific vehicle type I would avoid at all costs.

Also I think Avis tends to be the least likely to be off site out of the 3, if you’re at an airport where some are and some aren’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

the preemptive “get rid of a kid because they look like they might scream” take certainly is a level of misery that even I have not experienced.

my road warrior year is coming to an end I think, thankfully. I need to do all the math because it has been more nuts than ever.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Concierge in Japan is a real thing….

Most places that really want to be exclusive will only take calls in Japanese and will not accept calls from hotels or concierge services.

Also I’ve had weird luck with credit card concierge. Got a client into French Laundry at prime time on Friday. Good stuff at a few other spots.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 28, 2023

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

ya it’s really not bad and worth a shot

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KillHour posted:

I did a Hail Mary for the very last night in Japan and oh gently caress

:aaaaa:

Have fun that place is cool

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

and Japan works different. It just does.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I try to be as polite and accommodating as possible and I don’t recline my seat 95% of the time, but having to check if you can use the feature of the seat you paid for is ludicrous. You aren’t going to break someone’s nose by going back that 15 degrees.

I love folks who grind in the air on laptops but I think some defensive positioning in terms of putting your laptop slightly away from the seat in case of a recline might be the way.

Just expect the folks to use what they paid for (and then some) is how I tend to operate on commercial flights.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

And good for you as well? I don’t understand why you’re being lovely to an opposite anecdote?

It sucks and shouldn’t happen and weird it’s happened to you twice. I hope you said something to someone about it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I just can’t love the SQ business hard product. The fold down into bed limits recline and the last few times I’ve kind of been like whatever about it. Book the cook does absolutely rule though even though if I’m in Singapore I’m doing everything in my power to not go to the airport hungry.

Singapore is a better spot to connect than NRT for ANA and Cathay sucks for regional.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

FunOne posted:

There anything I can do with an AA Business certificate for an upgrade US to not US that expires at the end of the year? Will they extend it if I beg?

You can try to use it. If you can apply it to a flight next year you should be able to do that if it clears before the end of the year. I’m hazy if that has changed recently.

They will not extend it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don’t say the quiet part out loud

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Is there like, a travel delay forecast somewhere

Like, if my wife is traveling from Boston to California on Tuesday, what are the chances I'm going to be solo parenting on Wednesday (an entire extra day) because snowpocalypse 2024 is happening on a Monday and going to gently caress up flights for 48+ hours, as a hypothetical example

Your best bet is a combo of just watching the weather and stay on top of where the incoming aircraft is coming from.

They can always change equipment and the weather can change, it’s really hard to predict.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I’m flying more than ever, commercial and charter. This year might be more.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don’t know if you can pay to gap it to exp but it’s usually a few thousand no matter the difference.

Take that money and just pay the difference for first across all of next year imo unless you use the phone a lot for irrops or changes and would benefit from the exp desk.

I just booked a March 1 ticket so the reset to 0 will be minimal

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

movax posted:

e: ~$70K on Delta last year from Seattle and still no 360 :(

Brutal :(

I was considering throwing a meaningless AA flight to Delta to get that status match until 2026 but doesn’t seem like it’s worth much

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think I am going to do the delta status match. Why not? I don’t use upgrade priority so the 60k LP don’t matter and it’s my biz partner’s turn with CK for our org so I’m not getting it so who cares.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 30, 2024

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

For one day I am at the top of the LP leaderboards. 75k

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What the gently caress does “greater diversity of staff” have to do with anything?

If you can’t afford single rooms you can’t afford to send that many people. Can’t believe it even has to be said.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah I dunno about the claim that staying in paris and getting to and through CDG is more than getting to Gare Du Nord, the train (ever been on one that went Mx? I have), st pancras jump to paddington and then heathrow express or probably via Thameslink to Elizabeth to Heathrow

Like yeah it sucks but it’s not a 4 hour process and at least 1hr of that is public transpo.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have cleared exec platinum for this year and I am nowhere near the spend for concierge key.

Let that sink in

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

When I’ve qualified before it was due to relationship / travel control for clients which purchase significant amounts of airfare including many premium cabin tickets.

I’m slightly kidding and 2m+ LP would probably do it. But realistically I can’t keep up this level of spend/travel and even 600-800k LP doesn’t get you there anyways.

And they’re kind of gutting the benefits of the CK program anyways.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you’re in Chicago, go to Kumiko.

Also ya have malort but do it after

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Alinea rocks too but totally agreed re: Kumiko. Go for the cocktails but if you can swing the Wagyu Katsu it is as good as you imagine.

Kumiko just won best bar in the Midwest if that list poo poo matters to you.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hadlock posted:

$100k per year in somewhere like eastern europe, central africa, or the UK is probably a lot of cash, especially if you can put away $50k/year

You’re looping the UK, with their housing crisis going on?

honestly man, if you don’t know about something, it’s okay to not post. jesus christ

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Wife, toddler, and I are flying steerage on a United/Lufthansa flight via Munich. Does Lufthansa have a process for upgrades at a "reasonable" price? Is there a way to be more/less likely to get an offer?

Pretty much no and no. You can put in an offer but I haven’t seen much reasonable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/partner-airlines/oneworld-airline-partners.jsp

Emerald doesn’t get complimentary upgrade privileges.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/extras/same-day-travel.jsp

Anyone can standby for an earlier flight, but only AAdvantage® status members can confirmed standby for a later flight the same day

Confirmed change is only for AA status.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 9, 2024