Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Trench_Rat posted:

anyone ever flown with Aeroflot?

I think they have a frequent flier program where they will deliver the plane straight into your destination, skipping the airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
If you have a plat amex you can do GOES which gives you PreCheck as well.

(You can online enroll for global entry regardless, but amex reimburses with plat)

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

sellouts posted:

One mileage run to put you over I understand a lot more than habitually adding segments or flying into further away airports to make up a 20 segment shortfall between one level and the next.

I guess my question is how do these lines of reasoning stand up the first few times you misconnect and miss a client meeting or have to get additional hotel rooms when it's on the books that there were more direct options that you chose to avoid? Maybe it's rare but the one person my company wants more happy than I is the person I am flying to see.

It's inevitable with business travel that some things go wrong.

My company always flies me in, if at all possible, the night before. However, I have had weird flight situations, not of my own causing (ATL-MIA-PDX at night, missed last PDX, shoved back on the same plane to ATL) and sometimes you just have to cancel or reschedule. People understand when things go wrong.

I don't pad my miles with strange routings, mostly because I live in Atlanta and for Delta from ATL the cheapest fares are usually direct.

However, I had a last minute trip to SLC next week and am going ATL-LAX-SLC and returning likewise through LAX. This was $800 cheaper (!) than ATL-SLC.

However, to book this I had to use multi-city routing, as Delta would not offer that flight at that price through their crappy website since it does not match their layover criteria (long layover in LAX on the first leg). ITA Matrix however once again saved the day.

what is this fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 6, 2012

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Uncle Jam posted:

The most bizarre thing that happened to me is that I signed up for Hertz #1 Gold Club at the beginning of the year. My first trip with it and I get off at the Gold Club place and my poo poo isn't there. Despite the fact they had sent me a #1 Gold Club card in the mail and I presented it to them, apparently it only signs you up for rapid return and you have to click an additional link on your web profile to enable #1 Gold Club.
Then the dude in the gold club office started his up selling routine. Do you want to pay and additional blah blah for a Ford Mustang? And I was like, No, Come on man... and so he stopped, but then he said he only dates Japanese girls, with my Japanese colleague standing there who is a woman. I was like what the gently caress and so he gave the Mustang for free. The thing that pisses me off the most in travelling is definitely those Car Rental offices. gently caress.

National Rent-A-Car.

When you have status with them (incredibly easy) you just walk onto the lot, choose any car you want, pay the standard price, never even have to talk to a person.

No upselling at all, except asking when you leave whether you want an EZPass or whatever for tolls. They just ask, they don't try to push it on you.

I used to hate renting cars, I've rented with every group. National is the best.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
There are no health concerns on mmWave radar.

There might possibly be health concerns on the backscatter devices, but all the airports I have been to recently have stopped using them. The real concern with backscatter was that they never had visible dosimetric information available to the public or employees from on-site tests. This is normally required for x-ray emitting devices, but somehow backscatter x-ray were exempted. This was a huge safety concern for TSA employees, since if there is some stray radiation or some stuck emitter, they would be exposed all day while standing there. A trip once a week or once a month is trivial for a single traveller. Regardless, there is no reason to be exposed to any dose of x-ray radiation if it is not necessary. With the mmWave technology, there was never any valid reason to have the backscatter devices.

I don't understand the hatred regarding the TSA. It seems in a large part to be people's grumpiness that they, upper class white males, should have to suffer through the indignity of being searched.

Sure, some of the security policies we have are stupid. But I've never heard a coherent argument as to why abolishing the TSA and, presumably, moving back to private security firms would be any better.

You know who have private security firms? Malls. And mall-cops are a running joke about entitled, smug, and ineffectual security staff.

There were abuses and huge flaws in the private security system before the TSA. Hiring criminals, theft of luggage, and the lapses in security that led to the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Are there flaws in the TSA system? Yes. But I don't see how contracting out to a private or military contractor would make the system better.

Do you think you'd be happier with Blackwater doing the security screenings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
I see no reason to waste the time of people who are supposed to be catching criminals when I have better things to do, like go have a beer or get on an airplane.

You're wasting your own time getting patted down, and you seem to take some perverse pleasure in being molested.

edit:

quote:

That's probably the biggest complaint the frequent flyers in here have.

I'm PM on DL with 100K+ MQM this year. 80 or so segments. Please don't pull the "I'm a frequent flyer, you don't understand how it is" argument.

what is this fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 17, 2012