Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Husband keeps telling me I should read/post in this thread. I travel a decent amount for work (only 20% really. So minor, compared to many). I'm a product developer for a major beverage company in Seattle and I travel to supervise new/scale-up production, among other things. I don't tell my boss how much I really enjoy the travel, though. Most of the time its out to BFE areas, though, as food production plants don't tend to be in city centers.

Last year was

Chicago suburbs
Southern Minnesota
Chicago suburbs
Southern Minnesota
Vermont
Vermont
Tokyo
Chicago suburbs
Kuala Lumpur
Vermont

And some personal travel thrown in got me to MVP Gold on Alaska.

Heading back to Vermont tomorrow night for my first trip of the year and cautiously watching that weather.

I grew up in Pinellas county and would love to go to Tampa for a work trip. :3: The Cigar City pub in TPA is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Normally Essex, but I'm going to Waterbury tomorrow. Some of my products are packaged at Keurig Green Mountain.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Mandalay posted:

Any suggestion on the micro bead face mask? I have a cheap disposable one from my one CX F round trip that is wearing out.

I hate hotels where there are random lights (such as from electronics) that can’t be turned off easily.

I keep a pack of these in my suitcase:

https://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Black-Out-Electronics-Appliances/dp/B009WSN8PK/

And use this sleep mask: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M9BC1M8/ (that I've rebought a few times because I keep forgetting it in hotel rooms)

Also, binder clips to keep curtains together.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

DJCobol posted:

I usually carry binder clips with me, but in a pinch, I'll use the hangars in the closet that have the clips on them. Looks janky as hell, but it works!

:aaaaa: I never thought of that one.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

movax posted:

SEA-NRT was on an older 763ER (Delta right?). Taking the NEX into Shinagawa wasn’t that big of a deal; there’s also a JR line that runs out to it. But that’s time you could be using to get to your hotel and some awesome yakitori.

On return, then you’ve got limousine bus to get back to the airport and you’re hosed if you hit traffic.

I’d do HND. Sad that Delta gave their HND slots to the LAX run; PDX and SEA get NRT. :(

I've only been once, but did SEA-NRT last July and had no issues with traffic on the limo bus either way. Was I just lucky? I landed at NRT at 4pm and only took 50 min to get to my hotel in Shibuya.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Arzakon posted:

Alaska Cheese And Fruit Plate

Always order it asap even if you don't want it immediately, it sells out on every flight.

I'm a huge Alaska fangirl. I live in Seattle and my company has a partnership/preference for Alaska, so that doesn't hurt either. Decent nonstops from Seattle (including TPA/MCO/FLL, husband and I are from Florida). And this is my first year as MVP Gold, I'm getting spoiled already - have been upgraded at least once on each trip I've made since hitting Gold.

I'm grumbling because I have a "fake" trip this week and I just got home Friday afternoon. Global company conference, being held in Bellevue, and I have to stay in the hotel. Not my loyalty hotel either. So none of the benefits (no miles, no points, can't expense anything besides hotel).

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

I used to live in Orlando and flew in and out of MCO enough that I seem to be immune to babies on planes (and I don't have any kids of my own).

Good news for me, I'm grounded for about four weeks and I'm incredibly excited about it. Possibility of four back to back trips in March, though...

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

drgitlin posted:

I’ve actually met more cats on planes now than dogs. And I’m OK with that ratio. Still wouldn’t ever want to fly with any of mine though!

We flew with ours when we moved cross country, because I knew they'd do better with a flight than a week long car trip. But we paid pet fares, had all vaccinations, kept them under our seats in their carriers, and will never subject them to it again. I can't imagine doing that to them on a regular basis.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Alaska > Delta > etc etc etc.

Also, Emirates business class was fun. 16 hour flight on angled flat seats still sucks though even with champagne.

I just got off of 3 out of the 5 last weeks traveling, exhausted and got sick over the weekend. But then somehow was antsy yesterday because I had nothing additional booked yet. Found out today Knoxville in four weeks, Vermont in March, April, July, possibly back to Japan (Osaka) in July...

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

I didn't see the new airfare cost to MQD percentages until I went digging for them and they're pretty dismal too. I book my work travel through Concur and because of the partnership between my company and Delta, I'm usually in U or T fares.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles/how-to-earn-miles/exception-fares

I'm gonna appreciate my last year of Platinum next year expecting that I won't get above Silver again, and work travel is going to suck, especially with the Amex Platinum change. I'm just glad my home airport has a Centurion Lounge.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

I flew to rural Iowa last Wednesday for a test production at a factory here, that was supposed to be on Friday morning. Cancelled due to the blizzard and rescheduled for tonight at midnight. I supposedly fly home tomorrow afternoon.

This project has been cursed. I question why I like business travel.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Do you like your family?

Depends on the definition of family. Chosen family yes. Blood family....eh.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Beef Of Ages posted:

SAS is the flag carrier of three European nations. Despite the bankruptcy, I can't see them going away. That's a decent price for J, though if their funding deal with KL goes through, they'll leave Star Alliance and join SkyTeam if flute qualification matters to you.

CPH, OSL, and ARN are all nice, modern airports that are easy to transit.

Ooh I didn't hear about the possibility of them joining SkyTeam, I would love that. I haven't flown SAS yet because they're not.

Been to ARN a few times and currently in Norway/via OSL, both are lovely airports and easy to get around.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

EricBauman posted:

Because I'm traveling more for work, I need a smallish suitcase.

I really love my small Samsonite carry-on that's small enough that I never even have to argue about it being a carry-on, but the only other suitcase I have is a 160 liter monstrosity that I bought when I had to bring enough stuff to live in another country for six months.

What's a good medium sized thing in between those? So bigger than a carry-on, but smaller than my family sized "moving to the Middle East with all my clothes" suitcase.

Maybe it's irrational, but I like hardshell. I'm in Europe so that will affect what's available to me

I don't like hardshell because they can be brittle and break down more easily than fabric. Soft sided bags tend to be more durable.

Also skip Travelpro. We have three of them and have regretted buying them because they're well known for having defective zippers. Lifetime warranty but we're almost on first name basis with the local authorized repair shop.

I love this local Seattle brand Tom Binh but they're not cheap. We have two of their 45L bags that are max Euro carryon dimensions and turn into backpacks.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Oh interesting. My 20 year old samsonite just poo poo the bed when both handles fell off and was looking at a Travelpro based on the wire cutter review. I’ve got a Briggs and Riley as my main travel bag but sometimes we need a second carry on sized suitcase so I don’t feel like spending another $600 for a part time bag. The zippers are that reliably bad?

Yep, I bought based on the Wirecutter reviews too and wish I'd just bought B&R. If you look at the comments in the Wirecutter review you'll see similar sentiments.

Every time I check a bag (which is often, I throw caution to the wind and haven't ever had a lost bag), I have another zipper problem. Got back last Thursday from a trip and the pull was missing, but left for a personal trip the next day and so I'm traveling with that issue. And another one of my bags, the zipper just doesn't work anymore. One of our bags had to be completely replaced because the zipper wasn't fixable.

Going to make another trip to the repair shop after this vacation. We're about ready to give up and just buy B&R bags.

Edit: the three bags we own from Travelpro are from three different generations too, and the zipper issues are consistent across the generations. Bought them in .. 2017, 2018, 2019 I think.

Involuntary Sparkle fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 13, 2024

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Would push back on this. CDG is totally fine as an O/D airport. Not ideal, T2 security can be a bit annoying, but it’ll do. And if you’re flying AF it’s even p acceptable airside. It’s not like the RER takes much longer than the Heathrow express to boot.

Ha, I was starting to worry. I am going to NE France for work next week and fly SEA-CDG. Never been before and I have not done enough pre-trip airport research. I've definitely heard of CDG's reputation.

I'm going with a colleague who doesn't seem to believe in the existence of trains, public transit, or even walking short distances instead of driving and is the one organizing the trip so this is going to be fun.

Nice change of pace from my rural Midwest US trips though.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

There is an enormous difference between 25% (my normal) and 50% (what it's been since the first of the year) and I just want to say that I miss my cats, my bed, and my husband. Y'all who do this and more on the regular are saints.

Posting from one of my three legs today. At least I made Delta platinum for 2025 already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Yeah I had some big summer projects at home that I didn't do because I was traveling so much last year and my husband honestly isn't a handy person.

I've completely neglected my house this calendar year so far and I'm hoping after my trip next week I can breathe.

At least the people at the airport lounges recognize and remember me :smith: