Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh, hello thread, did not know this existed. Already see a lot of familiar faces in here

What's the best (not fastest, 8 hour layover) way to get from LGA to JFK on a Sunday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was in Denver when southwest's system went down in the mid 2010s

They issued me a hand written boarding pass, scribbled on a badly xeroxed worksheet. This apparently was considered valid and they let us through security and on the plane.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

taco show posted:

if I’m in a centurion lounge or in CLT something has gone wrong so you bet your rear end I’m drinking

I feel seen

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Air travel to about 6 months is fine because they're barely more than house plants. Over 6 months you need to plan your air travel in 15 minute chunks to make sure they're fed and sleepy/exhausted so that by the time you hit cruising altitude they just pass the gently caress out. Baby goes in their FAA approved car seat next to you and ideally they just pass out because that's what they're trained to do in the car when sitting in the car seat.

Some international flights have bassinet seats but haven't heard of them on domestic.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Absolutely gently caress CLT

Anytime I'm going through this god-damned airport it's because of a massive fuckup and headed to god drat nowhere. Waypoint to nowhere. gently caress.

Edit: fuuuuck

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 18, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How do you communicate your travel plans to your spouse? My wife travels about 10 days a month for work and it's totally random. I think last week she was in florida for two days and headed out to houston on monday for five days (apparently)

Usually she's fine and no issue but with a toddler it's good to know roughly where the gently caress she is and if she'll be home in time for dinner/bedtime or not etc, or if her plane lands at 6 i'll pick her up on the way home from daycare

We're doing a trial with her shared office-admin emailing me her schedule when it gets booked, but I just got like, three blank emails with unsearchable PDFs as attachments. Before you say "just have her email you the details" we tried that and we're at best alternative to a negotiated agreement stage.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 28, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We did the DC line this time last year it wasn't too bad just show up an hour before they open. You'll need an appointment though

Edit: you're flying against the jet stream and you think you'll arrive early?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

am i missing something here? DEN-MSP should be pretty neutral at worst.

Oh whoops I read that as AMS-DEN

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Buff Hardback more like Buff Hardtogetmypassportrenewed

:laugh:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Beef Of Ages posted:

Yeah, when DFW gets an inch of snow it also comes with three inches of ice and it is an unmitigated disaster. poo poo situation all around.

dog piling on this :regd08:

north dallas (this "neighborhood" is the area of most cities) owns two "snow plows" (which aren't even dedicated, just a bolt on thing) which are used to clear a handful of overpasses (less than 10) servicing local major hospitals, which is shared with two suburbs on the norther border. they have two or three sand piles to service the entire city. there is zero infrastructure to clear/maintain icy roads in texas because it's cheaper to just shut everything down for 24-48 hours and let it melt off.

tangentally related it rarely gets below 40 there so people just run summer tires or at best all season tires 12/12 months, if you asked a native what winter tires are they would legitimately struggle to try and explain what they are and why they exist. studded tires don't exist in texas.

north dallas (DFW) in particular just gets ice, there is no snow it's just freezing rain and a quarter inch of black ice on the road. even if they wanted to salt the roads absolutely nobody has salt for that because it only happens every 2-3 years it's not worth the investment

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the snow plows in Dallas are an F250 with the cow catcher swapped out for a blade and a set of Walmart brand chains. Not even an F350

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

direct upgrade from eddie, tbqh

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

change my name to Reginald.

Put the name tag on your smock

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You can usually origami the "emergency landing instructions" card into some combination of slots on the back of the seat to act as a light shield

Tape is pro tier move though

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Second to last time in my life having to fly through CLT

:pray:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I want to say "do not want to fly southwest anymore" but then I remember American has been doing boarding check in by giving your name and seat assignment verbally for like three months now :psyduck:

I'm just stunned at how bad airline computer systems actually work in the field in 2023. Nothing has fundamentally changed about their business in almost 100 years and they keep getting kneecapped by really simple stuff

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cool my wife is flying in international on a 30 minute delayed F ticket. She got to the gate for her connecting flight to NC ahead of the scheduled departure time but they went ahead and closed the gate even though two more F tickets were going on the same flight. So the next direct flight isn't for another 19 hours :wtc:

Excuse me while I go find some beer and I guess I'm gonna go binge watch all the star wars movies that came out since Solo and catch up on The Mandalorian because my whole Saturday is now hosed

Thanks Delta

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It depends but not all euro airports require you to exit and re clear security after clearing customs, that's mostly American fuckery. It's possible but I don't know about your airport

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Japan actually requires an international driver's license? Wow

Are there any other countries that actually require one. I've only ever had them ask for my passport

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

United now has this weird "contactless" credit card thing that involves them not being able to find your card in their system, and then you handing them your phone so they can check it's loaded into the app

I think all the carriers finally dropped their no alcohol in economy policy now that we're not masking anymore

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Do you guys have any traditions or things you do before you or spouse goes on a long business trip, or return

Wife is headed out for a weed week and then flies directly to a conference for uh, 11 days total

Bonus points if you have small children at home and the answer solves for that

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There was either a b17 or b26 or b27(??) In Dallas was like $400

I think the FAA recently grounded all of them over some maintenance issue, like in the last 5 days

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You misspelled mid air collision

Can't look it up right now but it's a pretty grisly twitter video if you're into that kind of thing. Almost looks staged

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are there other secret checkpoints at other airports I should know about

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I just fly with my passport in my airline luggage

Edit: but I still have clear because of amex

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Buff Hardback posted:

Depending on where you are, I’d personally just recommend doing the official state department super expedited process.

We did this, it was easy

Also took our 2 year old and got her passport as well while we were there

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We talked to the clerk at probably quarter to 10 and then came back and picked them (with the new stiff plastic cards) up at 11:45am same day. Which annoyed me to no end because then I had to go drive 6 hours back to NC. So they can do fast turn around. I have no idea why the passport office is so consistently garbage at being efficient to the point of everyone having to go in person for expedited bullshit.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Has anyone spent more than a week in UAE, like 6 weeks to 3 months? What's that like for westerners. Is the ~12 hour time difference when phoning home to the US HQ as brutal as it seems

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Based on CoL, or that's the number you'd need to ever go back there again?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thomamelas posted:

Apparently that is the average. There is a ton of pent up vacation demand. Last year the State Department did 22 million passports both new and renewals.

Twenty two million? In a year? It's too bad a national ID card is such a deeply divisive topic. I always thought if more people traveled internationally we'd end up with less wacko conservatives. Apparently the wacko conservatives have passports too they just don't talk about it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I vaguely recall some guy in central Europe with a funny toothbrush mustache, Heimlich or something

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Any tips on flying in and out of Albany

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thomamelas posted:

2017 to 2019 averaged about 20 million passports a year. More Americans have passports than most people realize with about 56% of Americans having a valid passport. With the usual demographic spread that you'd expect in the US.

How is the state department such poo poo at issuing passports then

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How temporary?

As was pointed out SF has no shortage of furnished short to medium term stuff

Getting a good rental in SF is still as competitive as ever, and you're entering peak competitive rental season, good luck. Neighborhoods here vary dramatically block by block so 90 days in a furnished place is a good idea

We did an Airbnb in Oakland it was pretty unpleasant. We had pets though and Airbnb that allow pets on short notice are pretty hard to find

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

80 minutes for an international connection seems kind of tight, especially flying out of Florida and/or an afternoon flight

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

50% of the time I had to show my ID anyways. But yeah it's just a lexus lane

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I heard about a service like this in Europe or maybe SE Asia sometime in the last year

Basically they pick up your luggage at your house and then deliver it to your (international) destination hotel, so all you travel with is a lightweight carry on with your laptop, wallet and passport

What is this service called, and do they service the bay area

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Huh interesting. $210 from US to London for a heavy checked bag (25kg) is... not totally unreasonable? Especially if you can expense it. I think we pay $60-80 for checking luggage at the ticket counter last minute and I still have to haul it to/from the airport

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Finally a silver lining for brexit I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

United offers that, great, and cheap too. I feel like they should offer this to parents with strollers. $40 bucks so I don't have to deal with giant gently caress off roller luggage in addition to my crying toddler and hangry wife? Sign me up

Does Delta offer that?