Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Lyon posted:

My engagements are usually Tuesday-Thursday so I fly out Monday and back Thursday. This works great for Monday because I'm at off peak hours and if flying US often get upgraded. The return trip though always sucks because all the super frequent flyers are coming back Thursday night as well. If I can justify it I try to schedule a Friday afternoon flight but that almost never happens.

The last 8k miles I need to hit gold are going to kill me but it would require some crazy luck to hit it.

Really? I scheduled a flight for a weekend trip a few weeks ago, and it was actually cheaper to fly out on Thursday and pay for an extra night in a hotel than it would have been to fly out on Friday. Then again, it was Thursday morning and not afternoon, but it still seems odd that 'peak times' vary so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
In typical circumstances that is true, but I can see everyone refusing $2k if there are several days of flight cancelling weather in the forecast, or if there is a major event at the destination city.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005

kimcicle posted:

Is there a nonstop flight that is longer than 18 hours? I know there's a Quantas flight that's does Dallas to Sydney in 17ish hours.

Or are they saying that flights like LAX to BOM, which is 21+ hours, would count?

Also

Wikipedia says the longest is Auckland to Doha, at 17h 40m. I'm surprised there's enough people flying that route to make it worth their while.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
It's worth it for the small chance you drop your phone at 9 PM and it breaks, and you're expecting a critical call at 8 AM the next morning.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
I am a board member of a nonprofit, and we often need to travel to conferences. One of the biggest expenses is hotel rooms, and with the greater diversity of our staff, it has become clear that we need some sort of formal policy about the sharing of rooms. Ideally, everyone would get a private room, but that would lead to us being able to send fewer people, and these conferences are valuable for staff development and networking with allied organizations. Is there a good model policy about this we can review and adopt so that everyone has the opportunity to participate while respecting people's boundaries?