Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(
I only fly domestically for work and stick to the majors, and Delta is far and away my (and everyone else's) favorite. United is a distant second, and American an even further distant third. I don't think American has renovated any of their plane interiors or terminal areas in decades. DFW is a dump. United does seem to have the most space in coach though. Also, Delta seems to have wifi on all of their planes, while United and American seem to have wifi on none of their planes. I can't do any work without the internet, so it really annoys me when I get to a hotel at 9 p.m. and have to catch up on a day's worth of e-mail.

I'm working my way up the Delta and Marriott ladders. Marriott points are especially easy to get with the Chase Marriott card and convert to SkyMiles at a 125k->50k ratio.

I mostly fly to LAX (dump), with plenty of layovers in DEN (nice) and MSP (very nice).

Buckhead fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

Has anyone ever cashed in their miles for a round the world ticket? It is 180k for coach on Delta. I should get there by mid year, assuming I can convert 125k Marriot points -> 50k SkyMiles.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

I'm on a trans contential Delta flight right now and my overhead light isn't working. Reading is the only thing I really enjoy doing on flights. I'm going to go crazy before we hit Nebraska aghhhh

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

I can't believe how many stores are in Lindbergh. Its a god drat shopping mall, not an airport terminal.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

As a non-Prechecker, I would happily have my hand wiped for bomb residue and not have to do the no shoes thing any day.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

I figure this is a good as a place as any to ask this... if you register for a credit card with some sort of signing bonus (i.e. 50,000 miles after purchasing $3000), are there restrictions in place that prevent you from cancelling the card and subsequently opening a new card of the same type and getting the bonus again? I'm sure there are, but I couldn't find anything specific on the internet.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

Speaking of observation decks, how many airports have access to the outdoors from the secure area? Being indoors for 10+ hours (when counting flights on both ends) is one of the most nauseating aspects of long layovers to me.

I know LAX has an outdoor smoking pen somewhere that essentially resembles a prison.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

shrike82 posted:

I'm joining a strat consultancy soon (an MBB) and expect to be spending 50% of my time abroad. Are there any basic business travel tips I should be aware of?

To give you an indication of how clueless I am, I used to work in finance and spent half a year shuttling between the west and asia on first class without subscribing to a mileage program.

Is there anything major to do beyond joining a mileage program? What's the conversion ratio typically like? I.e. How much would i need to fly to get xyz miles free?

Sign up for airline and hotel branded credit cards for whatever you will be using. They have major sign up bonuses for new customers. Don't be afraid to churn cards some to hit a lot of new bonuses over the course of a few years.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

I am an AA Plat and doing an international economy award ticket travel in a few months.

As I understand it, I will not have access to AA lounges in the States, or Qantas domestic lounges, but should otherwise have access to all Oneworld Lounges. Is this correct? Are there Qantas international lounges separate from the domestic lounges?

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

Fists Up posted:

Not really sure what you mean by your question here. Qantas international and domestic lounges are in different terminals and so therefore separate?

You have Qantas Club for domestic which I believe Oneworld Sapphire will let you in and Qantas Domestic business lounge for Oneworld Emerald. There's not a whole lot of difference between the two.

I am not familiar with AA status so it might be very different to Qantas.

Got it now - I was just a little confused by this asterisk under the AAdvantage benefits chart: "Access to Qantas Domestic Business Lounges excluded." I wasn't aware of the distinction between Qantas's lounges, but sounds like I should be good to go as long as I'm flying out of an international terminal.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

The Chase Sapphire Reserve is coming out soon and looks pretty incredible: http://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/chase-announces-the-sapphire-reserve-card/

My only issue is the lack of domestic lounges.

Has United ever offered a sign up bonus with their club card? I am ending the first year of my American club card which had a 50k mileage bonus to make the annual fee easier to swallow. I might move my (limited) business to United in the next year and gobble up points between the Chase and MileagePlus card programs. Between the Sapphire, Sapphire Reserve, and MileagePlus cards, you can rack up ~180k points pretty easily.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

I was flying domestic Qantas 737s earlier this year, and every seat had a little strap from which you could hang a tablet.

I noticed 2 minor procedural differences in Australia: you cannot have headphone cords blocking the row (i.e. going from hanging tablet on the seat back to your ears) during takeoff/landing, and exit rows cannot have any luggage in them (even under the seat in front) during takeoff/landing.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

sellouts posted:

Also, American's international product is completely fine. The 773 is a wonderful hard product and the 787 is as well. I would choose them with zero hesitation unless you're looking for premium economy.

It's probably limited to one market, but American's trans-Atlantic product out of ORD is total garbage. 767s that haven't been updated since the 80s. No IFEs, broken overhead lights... I'd feel so ripped off I bought a J fare.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

Me and my girlfriend are flying to Switzerland on Swiss Air through a Chase Rewards ticket in economy. We have no status of any sort. Are we going to get totally F-ed if we don't pay for seat selection? Will we even sit together?

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

Waroduce posted:

well Chareltson looks like a bullshit airport but is by far the closest if i can manage to finagle a decent connection that isnt 40mins out of CLT or something that is delayed all the time...which looking at google flights....its allllll sub 60min connections and everything out of CLT to Charelston is delayed by 30+ often

and CLT is loving annoying to connect in

apart from that im looking at a 2.5 or 3 hour drive from Columbus or pitt respectivley.

cincy is 3 hours.

I've flown into Charleston on a American Eagle turboprop, it's cool. The airport is basically on a tiny plateau. Makes for a fun approach.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

I got a new passport recently, and the two times I have returned to the US with it I got the dreaded black X on my computer receipt thing that puts me in the hour+ line instead of just waltzing through. This never happened with my old passport. Am I doomed to the long line forever?

I do have TSA PRE, and will probably opt for GE when I have to renew in about a year FWIW.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

Has anyone been able to log into the Marriot or SPG websites?

I get this very helpful error message when I try to: "We are unable to process your request at this time due to an unprocessable condition. Please try again later."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

Has anyone had luck negotiating annual fees for premium travel cards?

I got a United Club Card in February that a $0 annual fee first year promotion. Used it exactly zero times so far as I haven't been to an airport since then.

Wondering if I will be able to get away with paying no annual fee again.