Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Paid J group must be slowing down early this year.

Last business flights of the year tonight. Happy new year everyone!

My branch office coworker who travels 8 ish times a year just got his next year total travel budget: $4k. Without travel responsibility diminishing.
Feels like a recession coming for this time next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

sellouts posted:

There may be other signs of this but I don't think your finance dept not understanding how much travel costs is one of them.

I wish that was the issue but unfortunately it is not.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I find the area around the imperial palace to be waaaay overpriced for everything, and its kind of boring (being a large financial district).
It also feels like the Asian version of Manhattan or Willis Tower area, its completely different than any other part.

I guess you can train it to wherever for the night but I like to roll up into my hotel instead of trying to not miss my stop buzzed to poo poo.

quote:

Also, if you are flying to Tokyo, you can pre-order a special Japanese meal in Delta One, and they are absolutely fantastic if you like Japanese food. Pair it with the sake on board and you're good to go.

Conversely, hands down the best economy meal I ever had was flying Detroit to Seoul and ordering the bibimbap. It's only on this route, special ordered from some place in Michigan, and super tasty.

Which is all really surprising because usually Delta catering is very hit or miss otherwise.

You can choose the Japanese meal on board but they run out real quick so yeah its better to pre-order it. Its way better than the western food, for whatever reason. I think they try to hook in the businessmen who refuse to eat anything other than Japanese/Korean.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 23, 2016

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
It's not 50 short tons of instant noodles so all good in the hood.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I had to destroy the dreams of the new guy in the company last week. His plane broke on the taxiway and it took a long time so Delta gave him 10k miles and he thought it applied to MQM oh man.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I cannot wait until the last CRJ2 is retired.

A couple years ago I had a flight on a DC9 and later on thinking I had misread the equipment in the ticket info because how ridiculous that is and then I read an article a couple weeks later about Delta retiring the last one.

The interior was beat to poo poo for sure.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you're in the right fare class you can use miles to upgrade which is exactly the same process and priority as a global upgrade.

They now sell upgradable seats at the kiosk now when you check in for pretty low (for international), so upgrading with miles at the gate seems really hard to do. I purchase them almost every time because I can't expense the business class ticket because of the percentage rule but the upgrades are cheap enough to expense.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Mackieman posted:

What world are you living in? It absolutely is within their right per the Contract of Carriage to bump a paying passenger to ferry employees or for any reason at all, honestly. My understanding is that the employee involved in this case was required for the return flight on that aircraft. Had they flown without that employee, the airplane would not have been able to return from the outstation.

It is within their right to 'deny boarding', but the guy was already boarded. When you enter the plane, a bunch of regulations fire off, and (it doesn't apply in this case) when the door closes a bunch of other regulations fire off. This is a bit more complicated then it first seems.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

sellouts posted:

Pay more: sure

Pick someone else: that's not how this works. You don't get to throw a fit and refuse and pass that to someone else. It was random, he was involuntarily removed, bad luck but that's the way it is.

So you're arguing that boarding for a particular person ends when a ticket is scanned for that person vs the process of the door closing signaling the end of the boarding process as a whole?

Do you have any citings for these regulations and definitions? It's an interesting argument that somehow he's in a legally binding agreement that isn't subject to federal air crew regulations for the short time between being scanned onboard and the doors closing.

Also, when someone is removed for being drunk, how does that work? The aircrew ultimately refuses to take the passenger and that doesn't hinge on if the gate agent lets them on or not.

I read the federal regs and it seems unclear enough that a lawyer could at least attempt an argument. That is enough where the news will pop up yet again in 5 months time when they file, and again whenever the case advances. This is a negative for United.

On top of that, these incidents can change an industry. For example, After the Toyota thing, pretty much every car gets recalled multiple times in its lifetime. It's hardly more newsworthy than lotto numbers anymore. Do the other carriers really want United to fight hard on this and possibly narrow the leeway on CoC?

Relates, but the House could request the CEO for his presence and get free brownie points with constituents raking him over the coals.

On top of that, the risk of someone pulling poo poo during involuntary bumping has gone up a bazillion percent.

Edit: being drunk is disorderly and is a safety risk, where getting bumped from a flight is not. I think this is why United is really pushing the narrative that he was disorderly, because they know you can't jackboot someone for getting simply bumped. Of course you can argue that he became disorderly the second he refused crew instruction, but then the argument is do the regulations give the crew too much power? If a steward having a bad day tells a guy to get off cause he's ugly and the dude doesn't move for a minute in disbelief, and gets dragged out, maybe that's OK technically in the regs, but not spiritually, maybe the regs should be changed.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 11, 2017

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

sellouts posted:

Ok thanks. I think you're really stretching.

The crew timing out is illegal and then being tired is also a safety risk.

I gotta say...it's a bit insane to me if anyone thinks that the crew of an aircraft have too much power. If a person feels as though they're being discriminated against as you're implying in your example there are ways to handle that that aren't "I'm not listening to you, you can't make me". Also that didn't happen and hasn't happened.

I don't think it's stretching to say the federal regulations change depending if the customer is at the gate, in the seat, or door is closed. Because they do.

There are also more ways for the passenger to handle it but I can't think of one that would have gotten public opinion more on his side.

And yeah that hasn't happened, but what happened may be construed as crew over reach. It doesn't matter at all there was another crew maybe timing out; that's totally United s fault and their responsibility to make sure they have enough employees to not be running into overwork rules.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I just did a leg to Japan and the person next to me was a delta pilot doing a free trip to Okinawa and she was in yoga pants and a white t shirt so it seems like Delta doesn't care.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Reminder that airlines have pushed for eliminating all but one bathroom and charging to use it.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/Green/paying-pee-airlines-critics-call-ryanairs-fee-inhumane/story?id=10355139

Needing to piss might be a violation of contract of carriage and you will be ripped from the airplane and shamed by the CEO from his twitter account.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
United's CEO got called to appear in front of a congressional committee and admitted fault, apologized. This pretty much completed what I had imagined what would happen in an earlier post, along with 'they threatened to handcuff me to my seat' guy and stroller lady. Now Dao has open season on them after this appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

KillHour posted:

I keep meaning to do this and switch to a backpack so I have room.

Any recommendations for a backpack <$200?

You'll probably end up somewhere that sells this soon but this is my bag
http://www.startts.co.jp/store/products/detail.php?product_id=258

It is robust and really easy to clean.