Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Because I'm traveling more for work, I need a smallish suitcase.

I really love my small Samsonite carry-on that's small enough that I never even have to argue about it being a carry-on, but the only other suitcase I have is a 160 liter monstrosity that I bought when I had to bring enough stuff to live in another country for six months.

What's a good medium sized thing in between those? So bigger than a carry-on, but smaller than my family sized "moving to the Middle East with all my clothes" suitcase.

Maybe it's irrational, but I like hardshell. I'm in Europe so that will affect what's available to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I've been away from home for 32 days this year up to now. Mostly work, but some private days mixed in. I haven't traveled this much for work (or at all) since 2014/2015

I like it, but I'm feeling the drawbacks more and more.

I don't have enough time to fix stuff at home and run normal errands. Between two trips, all I did was lay underneath my sink to repair the drain and hook up a new dishwasher. Today I came back from ten days in the Baltics and I sincerely couldn't tell if the elevator in the building I live in had had its interior updated

If everything works out, I'm not traveling again until mid May, so hopefully that'll give me some time to organize my life.

Next year, I'm going to spread things out a bit more evenly

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I lived in Kuwait for half a year and by the end of that I'd had enough and I really needed to go home.

Sometimes I wonder if I could do it again. I think if I'd make enough money to take a longish vacation somewhere nice every few months and still have more left over than I would at home, I could do it.

I lived in the embassy where I also worked as an intern, though, so my living situation back then was nothing like what I would get as a "real" worker with real pay

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Cacafuego posted:

Question for you international road warriors - next year, we’re flying NBO-DOH on Qatar in business class, coming in at night (~2300), then flying out in the morning DOH-PHL on AA in business. I had planned on getting a hotel room for the night as they have one in DOH, but how does that work with customs and such? Would we collect luggage in DOH, go through customs/immigration, check in at the hotel, then come back in the morning and go through security? Or is the hotel airside behind security?

I’ve also seen some people mention staying overnight in “sleeping rooms” in the lounges, which I assume we’d have access to on business class flights (I’m also a one world emerald if that matters). So, if the hotel thing doesn’t work outs maybe we’ll try that.

If both flights are on the same ticket, your luggage will likely be booked through to the final destination. You can request to collect it for your stopover during baggage dropoff/checkin. But that means you'd have to go landside, clearing immigration into Qatar. They likely don't mind issuing transit visa, especially because you can clearly show them you're heading out in a few hours.
I'd strongly consider taking some key items in your carryon and not collecting the checked luggage.

I don't have anything smart to say about the lounges except to check reviews. Those will tell you what facilities are available, if it's often very busy or if there's things like time limits