Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Thoguh posted:

Meh. The stuff still gets X-rayed and you still go through a metal detector. Pre-check doesn't allow you to skip security. It just allows you to bypass the worst of the theater.

Which part? Those are, uh, the only things I've ever had to do going through security. Is the US that different from Canada and Europe in that regard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I had problems with the power ports in UK's East Coast first class between King's Cross and Edinburgh, but yeah AmTrak is nice as far as power goes.

However, it's slower and frequently more expensive than flying in Florida. AmTrak from Miami to Jacksonville takes as long as American from Miami to London.

And god forbid you ever have to cross a border. I'd rather clear customs at loving Pearson with only one agent working that go through the misery that is crossing the border on Amtrak again.

TWO HOURS. It took TWO loving HOURS to get through the border. As I was only going a short way across the border, that was longer than the entire rest of the train journey.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

At least in Canada we only have one choice: Star Alliance or get hosed. It actually doesn't work out too badly. The only problem is the lack of connections from Western Canada to Central and South America -- you either have to go way out of the way through Toronto, or connect through the US.

Also: why don't American airports have proper in-transit areas so I don't have to worry about US customs and the various things which they don't allow into the country?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Midjack posted:

They take the legal stance that if you're in the airport you're in the country.

It was rhetorical. Their stance is lovely, and that's why I still prefer the mind-numbing experience that is flying through Pearson when I'm going to Central or South America to transiting through IAH or MIA. Hopefully now that Copa is part of Star Alliance we might end up seeing a low-frequency YYC or YVR-PTY flight, but considering their former relationship with Continental they might prefer to funnel everything through IAH as they're doing now. We had YYC-MEX for a while (oh my god, an airport with a transit area!) but that evaporated.