Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Suggestions for carry on luggage manufactures?

I travel a good bit for work 2-3x a month, usually for about a week each and I'm looking for new carry on luggage because my older stuff that was cheap, is really starting to show it's age.

I was looking at TravelPro and Zero Halliburton. I am leaning towards the ZH stuff because of the hard case in the event I do have to gate check or even fully check it depending on situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Thoguh posted:

If you don't care about it being a hard case I have two Red Oxx bags that I loving love. An Air Boss and a Sky Train. They hold a shitload and I don't think I could damage their construction if I tried.

I'm actually looking at Red Oxx bag for my daily laptop bag. I'll look more at their carry-on stuff.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Most of the places I worked (and am currently at) that required travel didn't do receipts other than stuff on the corporate card (flight, hotel, rental car). Rest was done on per diem, if we didn't submit receipts for breakfast/lunch/dinner, we were just paid the full amount for what the current per diem rate for the area was. For example the per diem is $65 per day, but if I submit receipts for the day that totaled $50 (whether I used corporate card or personal), they only reimbursed me $50, but if I turn in nothing for the day, I get the full $65 back. I always use my personal cards for meals so I can get points, etc. I always thought this was the standard.

i like Ham posted:

If you notice pretty much and flight crew will be using TravelPro luggage, so that really helped sell me on their products.

That is what got me mainly looking at TravelPro. Everyone on Delta uses it practically.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
So for two weeks I've been trying to figure out new carry-on luggage since I've always just checked my gear and went about my flight.

Call me a a Redoxx fanboy now. I got a Metro case for my day to day work carrying and immediately ordered a Air Boss and a few smaller bags to organize my stuff when I travel, but I was super impressed with the Metro I got that I was willing to chance it on the Air Boss.

More to come after I make a trip on the 10th.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
There was a special on CNBC: Inside American Airlines(Netflix) and they did a short segment on their reward program and the guying VP'ing it made mention that the majority of their top status people do not get their via flying, but on purchases through their credit card programs.

I usually travel once a month, sometimes more but I could go a month or two without any travel and I just hit Silver on Delta, mainly because 90% of my flights are PNS-ATL-STL, with the occasional PNS-ATL-BWD and this year I did a trip to Hawaii. I might have one maybe two big trips like that a year, so I'm one that wouldn't hit status based on mileage so I opted go with a Delta AMEX (thankfully work allows me to pick a preferred carrier) and use that instead of my debit card now when traveling and paying for food etc. Work still makes us use the corporate issued MasterCard for flights/hotel/rent though, which sucks because I would love to double dip.

Do the miles you get on purchases not equal up the same way? I know their not MQM, but I assumed if Silver was 25 or 35k miles, you could effectively hit it by charging up 25 or 35k on the card.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Hit Delta Silver in November 64k total miles, 37MQM
Hilton Silver - 57k

I have another trip Monday thats PNS-ATL-STL and back with a full week, maybe more at a Hilton. Which might push me to Gold with Hilton, says only 7 or more stays or 4 nights, which I'll grab next week.

I see a good bit of travel coming on in the next few months for this project in STL, and only one ore two trips to DC/Ft. Meade area in the first quarter. Nothing long haul on the schedule yet.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
So when you hit a status mid year, you have it for the following year as right? And you just have to hit it again or more to keep it active?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

kitten smoothie posted:

I apologize for our awful airport. Although believe it or not it's better now than it was this time last year. It got a direct hit by a tornado Easter 2011 that blew out most of the windows in the ticketing hall, tore the roof off the American concourse, and threw some cars around in the short term parking.

The AA concourse was closed for a year for repair and they moved them into the old TWA section that had since been closed off and was just used for storage and occasional movie filming.

The airport looked like a total backwater dump with all of the terminal windows boarded up for so long.

I've been going to STL for the past year or so, and the real only complaint for me would be the TSA area for Delta concourse, it is just so cramped and the repairs made it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
How are you guys handling dress clothes? Not so much suits, but standard button down and slacks. More of my travel is going to be short notice, fly in Monday morning, meetings that afternoon, all day Tuesday, and first 1/2 of Wednesday morning and hop on plane home that night.

Mostly concerned about appearance on the day of that flight up, subsequent days I can deal with iron that morning.

Usually I have my stuff dry cleaned weekly with light starch, but wondering if I should step it up to help with wrinkles during the trip.

All my travel in 2012 was straight up jeans, going to miss that in 2013.