Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

toplitzin posted:

Back again, the greens were tasty. I used the curry powder, since i couldn't find any turmeric in my pantry.

I'm making tandoori-ish chicken tonight, but i want to make some crispy potato pancakes.
I usually make them pretty plain, ala smitten kitchen: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/12/potato-pancakes-even-better/

Any thoughts on "indian-ing them up a bit?"

I'm thinking add a Serrano chile or two, and some of the spices from above, oh and a zucchini or two for fiber/flavor.

Edit: toast the spices and add them to the latkes, or fry the spices and use the oil to fry the latkes?

Score! Glad they worked out.

http://altveg.blogspot.com/2013/01/mexican-chayote-latkes.html

I've got you covered. :) Feel free to sub out potatoes for the chayote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2006/11/throwing-pancakes-to-the-wind/

edit: well dino beat me. Also buy some turmeric if you want to cook Indian food. It's yellow! Yellow food is awesome.

Bloodie
Nov 24, 2008

carbs.
South Indian Tam Bram trying to weigh in on this one!

In celebration of the fact that Pongal (the Tamil harvest festival) was last Sunday, I figured I'd just go ahead and give you guys my pressure-cooker-free recipe for it (goes FANTASTIC with sambar. Use dino's recipe).

Having said that, when I say "pressure-cooker-free," I used a big old enamelled dutch oven instead, and I found the recipe on the Internet because I'm not clever enough to figure out how to cook rice and dal all together without.

The recipe, by the way, is actually legitimately fantastic--it tastes just like the kind of pongal you get at temples, so creamy and mild.

PONGAL

1.5c rice (I use long-grain white rice, but I think you can probably substitute a long-grain brown rice and add more water if you need to).
1c yellow moong dal (skinned and split green ones)
1 tbsp gingelly oil
1 tbsp ghee (to finish, at end)
1 tsp whole black peppercorns (reduce to 1/2tsp if you don't like the taste when you bite into them. I love it so I use more.)
1 tsp cumin
1.5 tsp ginger, shredded
1 tsp salt (you may need more)
1/2c cashews, roasted (I hate cashews--I always omit them, but they are traditional.)
7c water
2c milk (this is what makes it taste like temple-pongal, so I don't suggest that you leave it out!)

1. Dry-roast the moong dal--unenamelled cast iron or pewter is what is traditionally used to do this, but I reckon you could do it in anything. Toss over medium-high heat until golden, then remove from heat.
2. Heat the gingelly oil in the bottom of the dutch oven. Add one cumin seed to test whether it sputters--if it does, add the rest, and then add the cumin and ginger immediately. Sautee until fragrant, then add the dry-roasted moong dal and the rice. Sautee it all for a minute or so, and then chuck in all the water and the milk. Raise heat to medium-high.
3. Cover. Walk away. Not forever. Come back after 10-15 minutes to investigate the progress of deliciousness. If it's boiling away pretty heartily, turn down your heat a bit and then tilt the lid over the dutch oven just so steam can escape. If it isn't, leave it until it's boiling away pretty heartily, and then do as suggested.
4. Now wouldn't be a bad time to start your sambar. So go ahead and start your sambar.
5. Come back to the pongal after 5-10 minutes, or until the rice looks pretty cooked. At this stage, you'll still have a pretty soupy thing going on in your pot, so take the lid off entirely and turn the heat back up.
6. Stir occasionally--I do this because I think that stirring makes the liquid evaporate off faster, but really you don't want your pongal to stick and start burning as it firms up, which it will.
7. When it's like a thick porridge (but not too thick), stir in your tablespoon of ghee, your salt (you may need more than 1 tsp) and your cashews, take the dutch oven off the heat, cover it again, and let it hang out for 10 minutes.
8. By that time your sambar should be done.

Serve. Eat until feeling particularly fat. Then eat some more. It's really good.

P.S. I'm not kidding when I talk about just how much actual food this recipe makes. I'd estimate that what I made could have served 8-10 normal people eating normal person sizes, so I don't know what the original recipe is talking about when it says it serves TWO. Two giant people, maybe.

http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/archives/2006/06/29/pongal-pongali/

I didn't take process pictures, but mine didn't look quite as separated and rice-salady as her photo does.

Also, does anybody have a recipe for aviyal? I lost mine and I'm afraid my mom will yell at me if I ask her for it yet again.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Aviyal is pretty straightforward. Take a coconut, and get it out of the shell. Then, grind it with a couple of spoons of cumin, salt, some green chiles, curry leaves, and water. If you like your gravy a little thicker, throw in a handful of either daliya or peanuts. If you're not doing the strictly brahmin thing, throw in an onion as well. That's your spice paste. In other words, if you have leftover coconut chatni, just use that with a bit of jeera thrown in, and you're set. In fact, I'll specifically make aviyal the day after making huge batches of dosa and coconut chatni, to use up the rest of it (because that stuff will turn on you and fast).

Then, in a large pot, boil whatever vegetables you like. I use chayote, daikon, potato, and some cabbage. You may have your own that you like. Just use like 2 of each thing. Then, when it's all cooked through, add the paste to the vegetables. If you like, you can also add yoghurt, but I usually skip that bit (for obvious reasons) and use some lemon juice instead. Pretty much, it's your typical "clean out the fridge" stew. At home, I always cook the vegetables with fenugreek seeds, because I like the taste. If you want you could also throw in a bit of popped mustard seed and curry leaves, but it's not necessary. If you want it a bit more spicy, be generous with a bit of black pepper.

My mum's version usually has drumsticks (because she has a tree in her back yard), plantains (she loves the stuff), bitter melon (ew), and those enormous yams that you find in the afro-caribbean stores. My sister-in-law does chayote, frozen mixed vegetables, and potato. I've seen versions with lots of different dark leafy greens too. They're very tasty. My mum's friend liked to throw in some toasted cashews along with the popped mustard seeds.

Either way, aviyal is like the easiest thing to throw together, even without a pressure cooker.

Bloodie
Nov 24, 2008

carbs.
I eat lots of onions, but not in coconut chutney. Which--you're right--doesn't last long.

Why don't you use yogurt in yours?

Either way, aviyal is happening in my life this week sometime.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Bloodie posted:

I eat lots of onions, but not in coconut chutney. Which--you're right--doesn't last long.

Why don't you use yogurt in yours?

Either way, aviyal is happening in my life this week sometime.

Dino. is vegan. :ssh:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

pseudomonkey posted:

Dino. is vegan. :ssh:

Well, yes. Also, my mum never bothered. At home, she'd make about 4 litres or yoghurt every night, and it'd get finished as straight yoghurt. xD We never had any leftover to throw at aviyal.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I made Keerai Kootu. It's really good but needs a bit of acid. A small tomato or a shot of lemon juice maybe. Mustard greens or kale might work better than spinach.

I added curry powder and a splash of coconut milk when it got a little dry at the end.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I made Keerai Kootu. It's really good but needs a bit of acid. A small tomato or a shot of lemon juice maybe. Mustard greens or kale might work better than spinach.

I added curry powder and a splash of coconut milk when it got a little dry at the end.

Generally you eat the stuff as part of a larger meal, with things that already have acid in. Definitely throw in some lemon if you are having it alone.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
Thank you for the kootu recipe, it worked out great. I ended up adding kabocha squash and corn because they both were just sitting around and, though i'm pretty unfamiliar with the flavor profile, it turned out pretty good, very creamy. I'll probably add a leafy green next time for more body, but otherwise it was great. Okay, now sambhar.

Quick question, really entry-level, but how do you usually work with fresh coconut? I don't cook with it often and I attacked this one armed with a cleaver, a cheap steak knife, a spoon, and a cheap mandoline and boy do I never want to do that again.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

for sale posted:

Quick question, really entry-level, but how do you usually work with fresh coconut? I don't cook with it often and I attacked this one armed with a cleaver, a cheap steak knife, a spoon, and a cheap mandoline and boy do I never want to do that again.

I'd used a food processor if I had one, after hearing how hard it was for you do do it. After watching Hell's Kitchen and seeing what a mandolin can do to fingers, ugh.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
Uh nevermind, after entire minutes of research I guess the most effective method in the world is... a spoon with ridges. Mystery solved.

E:VVVActually that's really great, thank youVVV

for sale fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 22, 2013

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

for sale posted:

Uh nevermind, after entire minutes of research I guess the most effective method in the world is... a spoon with ridges. Mystery solved.

Take your fresh coconut and punch a hole through one of the eyes - one will be soft enough, use a skewer or something. I use the point of our candy thermometer when my husband isn't looking.

Drain/shake out the water.
Heat the oven to 400 and chuck your coconut in there.
Leave it in for 15-20 minutes or until you peek and see that the shell is cracked
Pull out, let cool and then pull apart. If the crack isn't all the way through, give it a good whack with your meat tenderizer, cast iron pan or something heavy.

The heat causes the shell to crack and also the meat inside to pull away from the shell, so it's super easy to get the meat off the shell halves/third/shards depending on how violent you are with it.

Then chuck those pieces in the food processor with the shredder disk, or grate for delicious fresh shredded coconut.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
On the other side of that, throw the coconut into your fridge for 2 days. The fat will set up hard, as coconut fat tends to do. Then, hit it with a hammer all over. Try to do it so that the shell shatters, but the meat stays in as large a piece as you can manage. Whatever is left, use a chisel or butter knife to fiddle out with. Generally after two to three days in the fridge, I can get the inside of the coconut out in one piece.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I know this isn't exactly South Indian, but I have a question about making Chicken Dhansak. The recipe calls for either dhansak masala or curry powder, but I only have garam masala and a mild madras curry mix. Which would work better as a substitute? I realize it won't be properly authentic, but just tasty will be good enough for me.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Honestly I wouldn't worry about being authentic on a recipe that calls for all ground spices, pineapple, and sour cream. Just use the curry powder.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Also, Dino has kind of hammered the lesson into my skull that a great deal of South Indian cooking is about improvising with the ingredients you have available. Like the time I put chili-garlic paste in channa daal because I didn't have any chilies or garlic on hand.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dino. posted:

Honestly I wouldn't worry about being authentic on a recipe that calls for all ground spices, pineapple, and sour cream. Just use the curry powder.

a gws wiki you say...

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mindphlux posted:

a gws wiki you say...

I'm not trying to be snobby! It just looks like a Walmart-ified version of what a curry should be. Boneless skinless chicken breast? Check. All ground spices? Check. No whole spices of any kind? And how! Bell peppers instead of chopped green chiles? Check! Using lentils instead of daal? You bet. Check. Essentially making a casserole, but doing it on the stove? You'd better believe it! Check. Cooking fresh cilantro instead of adding it at the end? Check! TINNED pineapple? Check.

It's like someone from the Midwest read an Indian cookery book, then made a casserole out of it. I'm sure it tastes fine to the people who like that sort of thing. I just don't know why someone using a recipe like that would be arsed about "authentic", when there's nothing in that even vaguely authentic. Yes, he's a bit Rachel Ray ish at times, but Sanjeev Kapoor explains how to make a proper Dhansak:

http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/DHANSAK-DAL.aspx

I want you to note the stunning lack of "dhansak masala" and the liberal use of whole spices. What the hell's the point of making an Indian food if you're going to bullshit on the spices? That's the entire freaking point of the thing. Also notice the different kinds of chopped chiles he's calling for. That pre-ground spices with water abortion should be whole spices ground with lots of ginger and garlic. But if someone's going to insist on a weird Mrs Gunderson curry, just use the lovely stuff you find at her grocery store, and call it a night. It's going to be bland as gently caress anyway.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dino. posted:

I'm not trying to be snobby!

dino, you should know me well enough by now to know I'm on your side here bud xoxo

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

I've never cooked Indian food before at all, and so I have a super dumb question: when a recipe calls for just a tablespoon or so of daal, is that supposed to be already cooked or dry?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Chernobyl Princess posted:

I've never cooked Indian food before at all, and so I have a super dumb question: when a recipe calls for just a tablespoon or so of daal, is that supposed to be already cooked or dry?

In cases like these, when you use about a tb or so of like urad daal, daliya, or Tuvar daal, you just add them to the hot fat along with the other whole spices. You aren't using it as a daal but as a spice. You want it to be crunchy and almost behave like a nut. Do not cook it. Add it as is.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Hey guys, decided to try something a teeny tinsy bit more authentic than buying the Kitchens of India Butter Curry packet or making the GWS Vegetable Curry recipe... But didn't bother to do much of anything in the way of research before buying some things.

I have:
A 1-pound tub of "Plain Greek Yogurt"
Plenty of frozen chicken breast
Plenty of potatoes
some generic Curry Powder spice mix from the grocery store
A relatively well-stocked spice cupboard
A bunch of other stuff you could expect to find in the average american refrigerator.

I intend: To throw these things in the crock pot and get a decent curry out of the deal. What should I do?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

KlavoHunter posted:

I intend: To throw these things in the crock pot and get a decent curry out of the deal. What should I do?
Ask yourself what sort of choices you've made throughout your life that have resulted in your having ended up in this situation, and resolve to do a better job going forward? Or, in other words, buy onion and garlic (like, actual onions and garlic, not onion and garlic powder...) instead of "Curry Powder."

Just make something like the kootu or sambhar in the OP but add the chicken and potatoes.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

If you do decide to wing it, don't cook it with the yogurt, it can curdle really easily with cooking. It's best to finish with it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I'm pretty sure it won't come out more authentic than a Kitchens of India mix.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

MeramJert posted:

I'm pretty sure it won't come out more authentic than a Kitchens of India mix.

Yes, I'm aware of that. But I'm doing this for my own experience. I have a plan coming together from reading the first page of this thread and some googling... Ditching the use of the slowcooker.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
You're likely thinking of a more northern curry situation, Klavo. If you want, I can put together a North Indian thread. Not sure if anyone else'd be interested. By the by, ditching the slow cooker is likely the best thing you'll ever do.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head
Yes, seriously. Ignoring the rest of your suggestion, why cook a chicken breast for hours? It'd be done in minutes on the hob or in the oven. Slow cooking is for stuff that'd be a chewing marathon if cooked quickly.

Also dino. please make that thread.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Eeyo posted:

If you do decide to wing it, don't cook it with the yogurt, it can curdle really easily with cooking. It's best to finish with it.

Yes. You wouldn't actually simmer for a long time in yogurt, even if it were full fat.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
Trip Report: Not bad, not as good as I hoped it to be.

Sauteed some chopped onion and garlic in oil with the curry powder with added black pepper, ginger powder, cayenne pepper, salt dash of cinnamon, tiny handful of very finely chopped/crushed cashews... already forget if I used anything else. Threw in two chopped tomatoes soon after that, then cut-up potatoes, and then finally the chicken after letting the potatoes get a head start on cooking. A little water was added and then the saucepan was covered. Half the pound of yogurt was added during the last 5 minutes.

Served over basmati with some broiled-crispy missi roti from the store.

Like I said, not as good as the store-bought butter curry chicken mix, but it wasn't bad, and DID solve my problem of using up all the drat burners on the stove to do a meat AND a vegetable dish...

And yes, please, PLEASE make a North Indian food thread also! I think that's what I'm more familiar with anyways, since the local Indian buffet serves beef but never any pork products, so I imagine it's actually Pakistani but flying under the radar...

DerpAlert
Aug 31, 2009

Haulin' Ass, Gettin' Paid
TEN XXXTRA LARGE

Myopic posted:

Yes, seriously. Ignoring the rest of your suggestion, why cook a chicken breast for hours? It'd be done in minutes on the hob or in the oven. Slow cooking is for stuff that'd be a chewing marathon if cooked quickly.

Also dino. please make that thread.

I would like to point out that even in these situations a pressure cooker works just as well with the added benefit of the food being done in a reasonable amount of time. I'm not comfortable leaving anything electrical unattended while it's running so this is a valuable bonus for me.

I do have a solid recipe for Chicken Adobo that I'm not allowed to share that requires a slow cooker, but I've substituted a pressure cooker with no ill effects.

Slow cookers are useful for sauced foods that require reduction though.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Here I am, innocently telling you all about mustard seeds, and popping spices, and now I'm supposed to North Indian thread. The major difference between Northern and Southern cooking (aside from the copious amounts of fat used in the North, and the liberal use of water in the South) is that in the North, you use spice blends (that you roast and grind in small batches at home, once a week or so) very frequently, whereas in the South, you tend to rely on just the whole popped spices. The difference in flavour is such that when you're eating Southern food, each bite will taste different. The rice will necessarily be bland (no salt, no fat, no stock, no nothing; just plain white rice), the pickles will be hella salty and spicy, the stewed veg will be creamy and have few if any spices, the dry cooked veg will have whole spices (and coconut if you're awesome, or from Kerala or Sri Lanka), and the raw veg will have nothing on but a bit of lime juice. Everything is meant to taste different. In the North, you're talking about a totally different technique. There, every single thing is meant to taste seasoned, spiced, and delicious /all by itself/.

I was around 10 years old, and my mum had taken us to Delhi on a visit to India. We were in the house of a very wealthy man, who'd laid out this enormous banquet for us (my mum, my little sister, and me), and his huge family. I took one bite of the jeera chawal (cumin rice), and was so enamoured of its amazing taste that I couldn't stop eating it. My mum quietly nudged me and said, "Dino, there are a million other things to eat", and I said, "but the rice is so delicious that I just want to eat that." No, seriously. It was that tasty. Fluffy basmati rice, with a bit of oil, some toasted cumin seeds, and juuuuust the right amount of salt. It was like I'd discovered a new planet. My sister and mum were happily chomping away on the curried lotus root, the gingery daikon, the saffron scented curries, the crispy okra (it's a North Indian specialty). And I was there with my plate of rice, making delighted noises of rapture. My mum gave me a solid talking to when we got home.

But that would never happen in a South Indian house. Each component of a meal in a South Indian meal is meant to complement everything else. In the North, each component should taste excellent all by itself, so that when you bring together, the flavours harmonise. It's why they rely on masalas (spice blends) so much. Even though you've got beautiful pods of cardamom, clove, fennel, nutmeg, cinnamon, and saffron darting through the whole dish, there is still a chance that you'll get a bite without any whole spices in. The masala makes it so that each bite has a consistently delicious spice to work with it.

Neither one is better than the other. You've got North Indians who lust after dosa with coconut chatni. You've gout Southerners whose idea of heaven is a bowl of raajma.

And then there's the goddamned Gujaratis who dump sugar on them. Let's never mention them again.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That post just confirms that my and my wife's favorite Indian places are, in the whole, North Indian. We love rice with toasted cumin seeds so goddamn much and the individual dishes are so good alone.

It's very good to know, though! Incredibly informative post, that.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
Trip Report redux:

Made the curry again, this time using some nicer waxy-skinned potatoes I didn't bother peeling, threw in a can of peas for green veggie value, and, most importantly, blitzed a bunch of cashews and raisins in the food processor to throw in as a turd-like paste.

Best goddamn curry I've ever made myself, quite possibly better than the Kitchens of India paste mix.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

dino. posted:

Fluffy basmati rice, with a bit of oil, some toasted cumin seeds, and juuuuust the right amount of salt.

Do you have a recipe for this, or do I just eyeball it and throw it all in a pan? I'm moving soon and have a buttload of rice to eat before then.

I would also be interested in a North Indian thread if you have time/inclination :)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Sex Hobbit posted:

Do you have a recipe for this, or do I just eyeball it and throw it all in a pan? I'm moving soon and have a buttload of rice to eat before then.

I would also be interested in a North Indian thread if you have time/inclination :)

In the largest skillet you own (preferably nonstick), drop a few tsp of canola or peanut oil. Heat on high, and add cumin (preferably a strain called "kala jeera" [black cumin], not to be confused with kalijira rice) seeds. Let them toast and pop until the room smells fragrant. You'll want roughly 1/2 tsp. Add 1 cup of basmati rice. GENTLY stir (or better yet, toss the skillet around to move the rice in that arcing motion that you use to toss ingredients around) with a spatula until the rice smells nutty, and turns completely opaque white. Add in 1 1/4 cups of water, which will immediately come to the boil. Salt generously. Slam on the lid, and drop down the heat to medium low. On my stove, it's 2 on a scale of 10.

Let it cook away for about 10 - 12 minutes, depending on how nicely cooked it's all looking. If you don't have a glass lid, just let it go for 12 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit for about 6 more minutes. While the rice sits in its final step, boil another 3/4 cup of water (just in case). Open the lid. DO NOT STIR. See if the rice is cooked to your liking. If it needs a bit more time, add the extra water, turn on the heat to high, and let it all boil for a minute. Turn off the heat, slam on the lid, and let it set for another 10 minutes. Check again. It should be done to perfection now.

Do not try to increase the quantity of the recipe, because you'll need to adjust the water, the fat, and the cooking times (they don't scale up). However, as it is rather quick, just make it fresh. The taste is far superior to having it sat there waiting for you.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

dino. posted:

In the largest skillet you own (preferably nonstick), drop a few tsp of canola or peanut oil. Heat on high, and add cumin (preferably a strain called "kala jeera" [black cumin], not to be confused with kalijira rice) seeds. Let them toast and pop until the room smells fragrant. You'll want roughly 1/2 tsp. Add 1 cup of basmati rice. GENTLY stir (or better yet, toss the skillet around to move the rice in that arcing motion that you use to toss ingredients around) with a spatula until the rice smells nutty, and turns completely opaque white. Add in 1 1/4 cups of water, which will immediately come to the boil. Salt generously. Slam on the lid, and drop down the heat to medium low. On my stove, it's 2 on a scale of 10.

Let it cook away for about 10 - 12 minutes, depending on how nicely cooked it's all looking. If you don't have a glass lid, just let it go for 12 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit for about 6 more minutes. While the rice sits in its final step, boil another 3/4 cup of water (just in case). Open the lid. DO NOT STIR. See if the rice is cooked to your liking. If it needs a bit more time, add the extra water, turn on the heat to high, and let it all boil for a minute. Turn off the heat, slam on the lid, and let it set for another 10 minutes. Check again. It should be done to perfection now.

Do not try to increase the quantity of the recipe, because you'll need to adjust the water, the fat, and the cooking times (they don't scale up). However, as it is rather quick, just make it fresh. The taste is far superior to having it sat there waiting for you.

This sounds perfect, thank you!

e- with regard to whole spices, do you just throw them in or put them in a cheesecloth bag or what? The last time I made butter chicken (I KNOW but it was goddamn delicious) I just threw the whole cloves/cardamom pods/peppercorns in, but picking them all out was a total pain.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 6, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I don't want this thread to disappear.

On the first page Dino you mentioned kootu and sambhar, But you kind of did it as an idea for left overs of kootu.

quote:

Kootu (basic)
This is the most extremely basic version ever. I’m not including any other veg, because this is the bare minimum that you need to make something into a kootu. People add other veggies all the time. Popular additions are carrots, cabbage, chayote, any and all gourds, pumpkins, and squashes, split peas, green beans, mushrooms...

The sky is the limit. In fact, there are kootu made with just dark leafy greens, like collard greens or spinach. In those cases, just omit the onions, potatoes, and mustard seeds. My mother’s version is even more simple than this. http://altveg.blogspot.com/2010/01/turnip-soup.html My sister-in-law likes to add cooked moong daal, and only half the coconut. I’ve seen people make it with ginger, and curry leaves, without the onion at all, with pearled onions, and with every vegetable known to man.
1 TB canola, corn, or peanut oil
1 tsp black mustard seed
1 tsp cumin seed
1 large daikon, peeled and diced
3 potatoes, peeled and diced
1 onion, diced
½ cup grated fresh coconut (OR 1 cup of coconut milk)
Water enough to cover the veg
In a stock pot, heat the oil. Add the black mustard seed, and let it pop. When the popping subsides, add the cumin seed. Add the daikon, potatoes, and onion. Add just enough water to cover the whole mess. Bring the whole thing to a rushing boil. Drop down the heat to a bare simmer. Let the vegetables cook, uncovered, until they’re tender. Add the coconut, and turn off the heat (the coconut should not cook very much at all).

Sambhar
1/2 recipe of kootu
2 cups cooked moong daal, black eyed peas, or split peas
2 onions, diced
3 TB chopped ginger
2 TB Oil
Sambhar Powder OR Curry Powder (Curry Powder will get you pretty drat close to Sambhar powder).
½ cup of tamarind, soaked in hot water, and strained of seeds (if using Tamcon, use 1 tsp)
Salt & Pepper to taste
In a pot, heat the oil. Add the sambhar or curry powder. Add onions, and sautee until tender. Add ginger, and cook until the raw ginger taste is gone. Stir the spice blend into the leftover kootu. Add the cooked daal. Stir to combine. Add the tamarind pulp, and allow the whole mixture to come to a boil.

Mind you, there are versions with proper mixes of spices, and you are more than welcome to bring those up. This is basically a quick and dirty version that I’ll make at home, when I haven’t got a lot of time. My mum and sister-in-law both insist that for sambhar, it is one of the few times that making your own tamarind pulp is important, because the Tamcon (tamarind concentrate) tends to turn the whole thing an unseemly dark colour. However, when I’m in a rush, I’ll use the concentrate.

What if I just had beans to eat tonight, but didn't feel like rice?
Could I just:
cook black eye beans separately.
Dice a sweet potato, ½ a large daikon.
Fry some mustard seeds, cumin seeds, garam masala in oil.
Add 2 onions and sweated until soft.
Add knob of ginger and the veg and saute for a while.
Add some water and cook until veg almost done.
Then add some coconut milk and the beans?

Unfortunately don't have 'curry powder', nor fresh or powdered coconut. Also tamarind of any kind, (never ever hand tamarind in my life, what's it like - I did go to the nearby shop but came up empty - no tamarind for me today)

I do have a sweet potato! and half a daikon! - the other half was pickled with carrots for making banh mi sandwiches later. Don't have what some people would, and some people would not call curry powder (such a divisive thing) I have garam masala though? I have a cup of coconut milk in the freezer left over from a month or more ago when I made a thai curry!
I do have mustard seeds and cumin seeds I went out to buy after reading your posts though :D
I know you are more likely to say whatever goes, and I would just quietly go about it myself anyway, but posting to stop this thread dying.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Oh god, please don't use garam masala in South Indian cooking. It would taste horrible, and everything would be off. Instead, do everything else exactly like you said, and substitute a bit of turmeric powder (when you add the veg to the hot fat).

So like, cook the black eyed peas separately. That is good. Then, in a pot, heat oil, add mustard seed and cumin seed (add the second after the first is done popping). Then add any sort of aromatics you have lying around (onion, garlic, peppers, chiles, carrots, etc). Toss it in the oil and spices, add some turmeric powder, and keep stirring. Then in goes your diced sweet potato, your diced daikon, and just enough water to cover the veg. Let the whole mess come to the boil, then drop down the heat to a simmer. When the vegetables are tender (about 20 minutes, give or take), add the coconut milk, let the whole thing boil, and turn off the heat. Add the black eyed peas, and some black pepper. You'll be in good shape.

• Locked thread