Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

crowtribe posted:

My girlfriend and I have started to cut down on meat in our diets due to the cost and partly because of blurry ethical reasons. However, you'll note I said cut down not cut out, as we've got terrible/non-existent self control.

I recently found some vegetarian/vegan recipes for jackfruit curries that purport to be Southern Indian (and Sri-Lankan, but this isn't that thread). What exactly is jackfruit, how is it used both modern and traditionally, what does it taste like, how is it prepared, and have you got any recipes someone with access to pretty much any ingredients I could try at home? Or correct me/the internet if I've been lied to.

Depending on where you live you might be able to find tinned jackfruit, both unripe and ripe kinds, in Chinese or south-east Asian supermarkets. Aroy-D and Chaokoh brands sell it relatively cheaply online too, though I'm not sure what the delivery costs are like.

I like using cans of unripe jackfruit in Indonesian food. It has a similar texture to some cuts of pork once cooked, it shreds and flakes into strands like meat does, and it takes on flavour nicely, so it makes good fake babi kecap or even a more Western-style pulled pork or hog roast too. I simmer it in vegetable stock for a little while along with a small amount of whatever spices or flavourings I'm using in the final dish, then treat it like meat after that, either reducing the stock and adding sauces to stew it, braising it or stir-frying it.

Ripe jackfruit is very sweet, it's quite a bit like a very ripe mango with a similar texture, but with a faint extra taste that reminds me a little of chewing wax crayons as a kid, not in an unpleasant way though. :confused: I'd be interested in recipes for ripe jackfruit, I see the tins alongside the tins of young unripe jackfruit, but I never know what to do with it.

They look amazing on the tree, too, they're enormous. I wish I could see a whole one in real life sometime instead of already cut up in tins.

Look at the size of these things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

dino. posted:

It's not a thing you cook with. Here is the recipe. Open mouth. Insert ripe jackfruit. Eat. Are there no things in the USA that you just eat!? Eat it.

I'm in the UK, but it's pretty much the same story here, British food is traditionally all stewed to hell but without all the sugar of USA food. Though our food has been getting better over the years, partly thanks to influences from India! :D

• Locked thread