Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Thank Christ. My friends are excited about Ethiopian food now.

Anyone have anything to say about Umami Pasadena versus Umamicatessen? I've been to Umamicatessen a few times and my friends want to try it, but downtown is a bit out of our way and parking is a drag. Is the Pasadena location essentially equal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pull up the menus online. Umamicatessen has a lot more options like "the cure" (deli sandwiches) and Pigg ( all things pork) along with the donut place.

They call the umami burger itself in umamicatessen expanded but most of the options at the burger only locations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I'm less concerned with missing out on the Pigg stuff than those delicious donuts. I guess we'll have to make a detour downtown.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Don't think I saw this posted here but Portos in Burbank is amazing. They do Cuban food and all sorts of lunch stuff. The stuffed potato balls glorious. The place is split into two sections. One for the bakery and one for everything else. Everything in the bakery is top notch. If you aren't on the verge of a diabetic coma when you're done then you aren't doing it right. The place is always packed but they have so much staff it all goes really quickly.

http://www.portosbakery.com/

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Went to Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong in Ktown on Saturday. Its a chain owned by a very loud, large, and sometimes obnoxious Korean MC Celebrity. Overall, very good meat quality compared to the AYCE places. They will cook your meat for you at your table just like any other K-BBQ place. In terms of pricing, you can order a la carte or you can order their Regular/Large combo plates of either pork or beef. The large combo of beef + 2 Doshiraks (basically Tin Boxes of rice, egg, and assorted Korean deliciousness) was enough to feed 4 of us very well. The grilling plate also serves egg on the side as well as Cheese Corn (which is a Korean drinking thing) as well as grilled kimchi.

Park's BBQ has more food options if you're not looking for meat, but if you're looking for a very good non-AYCE K-BBQ place, KHD BaekJeong is a pretty good place to try out. Will definitely try the pork next time.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/kang-hodong-baekjeong-los-angeles

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Here's some of my favorite places to eat in the valley and one in LA.

Daniel's Tacos http://www.yelp.com/biz/daniels-tacos-sun-valley

I've been going here since it was a cart on the side of a Chase in Sun Valley. Neighborhood not for the faint of heart but it's the most authentic al carbon taco joint I've been to in the valley. Daniel doesn't do cheap, lovely ingredients which makes this my #1 taco rec in the valley.

Best Tacos in Ensenada http://www.yelp.com/biz/best-fish-taco-in-ensenada-los-angeles

3 tacos to choose from, jamaica, horchata and a salsa bar. loving fantastic fish taco joint.

Good Pho You http://www.yelp.com/biz/good-pho-you-granada-hills

Since most pho places are similar this is my favorite. Clean, nice people working there and a full boba bar.

Aye Papa Que Rico http://www.yelp.com/biz/ay-papa-que-rico-san-fernando-valley

Best Cuban sandwich I've had in LA by far. Everything else is really good as well though. Also has an old guy that doesn't speak english that walks around being nice to everyone. If you're in Van Nuys eat here, seriously.

Prohibition Burger's http://www.yelp.com/biz/prohibition-burgers-and-beer-encino

I like Fatburger myself but Prohibition is a good second choice. Good beer selection and the atmosphere is fine I guess, they have metal tables!

bad news bareback fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 6, 2013

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have recommendations on Fish and Chips near the San Gabriel Valley area? I go to Lucky Baldwin's with friends for a beer and fish/chips but was wondering if anyone knew any alternatives?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for a fairly cheap to modest priced restaurant near LAX? No specific type, just good food? I'm in town one night a week for at least the next few months for business and will be staying essentially at the 405 and Century.

Also interested in taco trucks within a 15 minute drive.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Chinatown posted:

Any recommendations for a fairly cheap to modest priced restaurant near LAX? No specific type, just good food? I'm in town one night a week for at least the next few months for business and will be staying essentially at the 405 and Century.

Alejo's on Lincoln north of the airport is decent Italian. I have eaten there many many times and it is solid and not expensive.

Casablanca is further north on Lincoln and is great and reasonable too. Mexican, and freaking awesome calamari.

Anyone know a good food truck location aggregator? Curbside Bites is good but is more OC/San Diego.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

For those into this sort of thing, LA Weekly is doing their food festival this weekend at the Petetsen Automotive Museum.

Not sure what they charge for it but the past few years we have gone and had a good time. Last year we walked with singha beer, glasses, and our bellies full. This year there are a few missing notable restaurants (Providence) however still plenty of good ones. If going I would spring for the VIP as you can really maximize your time by being there an hour early and avoiding a bunch of lines.

Oh and if you are into wines I think they had like 20+ to try last time.

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Any recommendations on a good place for biscuits and gravy?

snowdoge
Jul 2, 2009
I love Roscoes Chicken and Waffles, and their sides including the biscuits and gravy are pretty good too, but goons in this thread here will tell you it's utter crap because they've heard of it. Sooo I guess just try places out at your own discretion.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Mongoloid Joe posted:

I love Roscoes Chicken and Waffles, and their sides including the biscuits and gravy are pretty good too, but goons in this thread here will tell you it's utter crap because they've heard of it. Sooo I guess just try places out at your own discretion.

I think Roscoe's is fine for what it is. Its just slightly more expensive than it should be. If you've never been, I think its fine.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Roscoes is a fun time. Agreed its a little expensive but worth it. I like the one on Pico.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ultimate Mango posted:

Alejo's on Lincoln north of the airport is decent Italian. I have eaten there many many times and it is solid and not expensive.

Casablanca is further north on Lincoln and is great and reasonable too. Mexican, and freaking awesome calamari.

Anyone know a good food truck location aggregator? Curbside Bites is good but is more OC/San Diego.

Thanks. Probably gonna try one of these out next week. I was in LA last night and....

..went to California Pizza Kitchen.

*ducks*

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Chinatown posted:

Thanks. Probably gonna try one of these out next week. I was in LA last night and....

..went to California Pizza Kitchen.

*ducks*

:frogout: . More seriously, there are a lot of good local LA pizza places, Pizzeria Mozza for example, that you're doing yourself a disservice by not doing a little searching first.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

For those into this sort of thing, LA Weekly is doing their food festival this weekend at the Petetsen Automotive Museum.

Not sure what they charge for it but the past few years we have gone and had a good time. Last year we walked with singha beer, glasses, and our bellies full. This year there are a few missing notable restaurants (Providence) however still plenty of good ones. If going I would spring for the VIP as you can really maximize your time by being there an hour early and avoiding a bunch of lines.

Oh and if you are into wines I think they had like 20+ to try last time.

Thanks for the heads up, just grabbed VIP for the gf and I. Good follow up to the bacon festival from a couple weeks ago.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Furious Lobster posted:

:frogout: . More seriously, there are a lot of good local LA pizza places, Pizzeria Mozza for example, that you're doing yourself a disservice by not doing a little searching first.

No argument. Just staying on the 405/LAX split after a long rear end day. My main thing is tasty food with a draft beer where I can drive back after my meal and not get lost, etc.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Squashy Nipples posted:

I can't really recommend GOOD places since it's been over ten years since I lived there, but my favorite dive is:

Tito's Tacos. Hard, Tex-Mex style tacos, but everything is made fresh, and they don't spare the lard. Good guac and enchiladas, perfect drunk/stoner food. Right off of 405/Sepulveda just south of Venice Blvd, there is also a decent pastrami joint around the corner.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/titos-tacos-culver-city

AS for GOOD sit down Mexican, there was a place over in Santa Monica, just over the border from Venice that we used to eat at... can't think of the name.

+1. Everybody needs to go to Tito's at least once.

The Hat (the pastrami place) is decent, but if you are near Washington and Sepulveda, Tito's is the place to go.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Chinatown posted:

Take La Cienega north from LAX, right on Adams, past La Brea. Taqueria Los Anaya. It's a B&M restaurant but their steak and chips are pretty great. Don't go at night if you are afraid of semi-ghetto.

At night, you can go up to Tacos Leo (an actual truck) on La Brea, should be a 20 min drive.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mandalay posted:

Take La Cienega north from LAX, right on Adams, past La Brea. Taqueria Los Anaya. It's a B&M restaurant but their steak and chips are pretty great. Don't go at night if you are afraid of semi-ghetto.

At night, you can go up to Tacos Leo (an actual truck) on La Brea, should be a 20 min drive.

Is Tacos Leo on la Brea and Olympic in the parking lot of the auto repair shop on the south west corner across from the gas station?

If so, agreed. Great truck. Open after 9pm.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

Is Tacos Leo on la Brea and Olympic in the parking lot of the auto repair shop on the south west corner across from the gas station?

If so, agreed. Great truck. Open after 9pm.

Just yelp/youtubed it. Target acquired. :hellyeah:

Thanks!

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CrushedWill posted:

+1. Everybody needs to go to Tito's at least once.

The Hat (the pastrami place) is decent, but if you are near Washington and Sepulveda, Tito's is the place to go.

Is it just me or has the quality of The Hat gone down recently? The last couple times I went there the pastrami was like rubber :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I stopped going there the second I had Langers #19. Might be the best sandwich in the city.

Invader Mat
Aug 16, 2012
Honestly, I don't know why people think Tito's is so amazing. Sub par shredded beef taco's with overpriced cheese added, and a beef stew burrito? I mean it was a fun novelty as a kid with everyone so excited about going to Tito's, and I get the whole drunk/stoned aspect, but Cinco De Mayo is like 50 feet away, open 24 hours, more choices, better quality food (imho) and less douche bags. Although they don't have that awesome hail sized ice Tito's has.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Invader Mat posted:

Honestly, I don't know why people think Tito's is so amazing. Sub par shredded beef taco's with overpriced cheese added, and a beef stew burrito? I mean it was a fun novelty as a kid with everyone so excited about going to Tito's, and I get the whole drunk/stoned aspect, but Cinco De Mayo is like 50 feet away, open 24 hours, more choices, better quality food (imho) and less douche bags. Although they don't have that awesome hail sized ice Tito's has.

Having lived a block from there for a few years, I have to concur.

But the hole-in-the-wall Mexican food in North Hollywood/Sun Valley is better still

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
We've been going to two Mexican places in Pasadena which have surprised me:

La Estrella - http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-estrella-pasadena

I really enjoy their fish tacos there. Since I'm from Norcal, I've never really had anything like these. Full of stuff, they take up an entire paper plate are absolutely fantastic (at least until I try a better fish taco). Does anyone have any other recs for fish tacos in Socal?

El Taquito - http://www.yelp.com/biz/el-taquito-mexicano-truck-pasadena

Really fantastic taco truck with everything you need from a taco truck.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Choadmaster posted:

I'm less concerned with missing out on the Pigg stuff than those delicious donuts. I guess we'll have to make a detour downtown.

The donuts are awesome. So is the wide variety of cured pork, I strongly recommend getting a sampler plate of pork. They also have these vegitable sides/starters that are awesome.

I honestly think umami burger is completely overrated. Umamicatessen is awesome.

If you want a burger, Apple Pan or Father's office depending on whether you want simple or fancish.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

So after having had Omakase at Sushi Yasuda a few days ago I really want to find a place that is along the same vein in LA. Omakase for purists. Of course there's Urasawa but lol@price, also it doesn't sound very purist from what I've read. Doing a bit of research I came across Sushi Zo, Mori, Kanpachi, and Kiriko. And of course Matsuhisa but I hear it's degraded a bit. Any recommendations? Kanpachi sounds the most like what I'm looking for, but the price is a bit offputting. namely it seems too cheap. Sushi Zo also looks really good.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 11, 2013

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

So after having had Omakase at Sushi Yasuda a few days ago I really want to find a place that is along the same vein in LA. Omakase for purists. Of course there's Urasawa but lol@price, also it doesn't sound very purist from what I've read. Doing a bit of research I came across Sushi Zo, Mori, Kanpachi, and Kiriko. And of course Matsuhisa but I hear it's degraded a bit. Any recommendations? Kanpachi sounds the most like what I'm looking for, but the price is a bit offputting. [spoiler]namely it seems too cheap.[spoiler] Sushi Zo also looks really good.

Not technically LA but worth the drive: Sushi Noguchi in Yorba Linda may scratch the itch. Sit at the bar and let Hiro do his thing. He will ask what you don't like, which is a nice touch, but don't let that courtesy fool you, it is proper Omakase.

He gets more fish (which he goes and buys himself daily) on Thu-Sat if you are about crazy or more unusual stuff but I have never been disappointed on any day of the week.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Totally unrelated to sushi, tried Augie's and liked it but then I tried Stell and liked their coffee much better. When you walk within 10 yards of the door it already smells great because they roast their coffee on site. If you're ever in Redlands (why the gently caress are you in Redlands) try it out.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Corn Thongs posted:

Totally unrelated to sushi, tried Augie's and liked it but then I tried Stell and liked their coffee much better. When you walk within 10 yards of the door it already smells great because they roast their coffee on site. If you're ever in Redlands (why the gently caress are you in Redlands) try it out.

As someone who lives in the IE and goes to both frequently, I disagree. Stell is good, but Augie's is definitely better. Augie's also roasts onsite so that's not really a benefit. Stell serves prebrewed coffee. It's such a turnoff to go into a coffee shop and see big Fetco or Bunn bulk brewers dripping into thermal tanks in the backline. Augie's brews each cup to order via pour over. That alone is enough but I still prefer the roast quality at Augie's more than at Stell.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Heading to LA again and this thread was a great help last time, so here goes: I want some great lobster!

Honestly, I could probably find it easily at home, but I'll be visiting LA next week with a friend who somehow hasn't eaten any large crustaceans before and I feel the need to rectify this ASAP. I'm not looking for some fancy restaurant, and a place that won't rapidly deflate my wallet would be great. Someone already suggested Neptune's Net but I've already been there and wasn't really all that impressed (granted I never ordered a lobster).

Thanks, thread!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Choadmaster posted:

Heading to LA again and this thread was a great help last time, so here goes: I want some great lobster!

Honestly, I could probably find it easily at home, but I'll be visiting LA next week with a friend who somehow hasn't eaten any large crustaceans before and I feel the need to rectify this ASAP. I'm not looking for some fancy restaurant, and a place that won't rapidly deflate my wallet would be great. Someone already suggested Neptune's Net but I've already been there and wasn't really all that impressed (granted I never ordered a lobster).

Thanks, thread!

I enjoy going to Quality Seafood - http://www.yelp.com/biz/quality-seafood-redondo-beach - huge variety and its pretty plain. If you want something a little more prepared (but a bit more expensive), you can go upstairs to one of 2 Korean places that serve Crab as well as some other Korean foods. Growing up, it was a place we always visited whenever we were in LA so I have some nostalgic feelings for the place. That being said, service at the Korean places is hot/cold as is usually the case with any normal KOrean place, but the food is good and the crab is always good.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

Thanks, thread!

Kim Su seafood restaurant in Westminster. It is a real deal Chinese seafood place and you can get a freaking six pound monster sea bug and a whole bunch of side dishes (we are talking food for six or more) for like $200 total. Remember the lobster will be stir fried Chinese style not like steamed with drawn butter. Still totally incredible.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

GrAviTy84 posted:

So after having had Omakase at Sushi Yasuda a few days ago I really want to find a place that is along the same vein in LA. Omakase for purists. Of course there's Urasawa but lol@price, also it doesn't sound very purist from what I've read. Doing a bit of research I came across Sushi Zo, Mori, Kanpachi, and Kiriko. And of course Matsuhisa but I hear it's degraded a bit. Any recommendations? Kanpachi sounds the most like what I'm looking for, but the price is a bit offputting. namely it seems too cheap. Sushi Zo also looks really good.

It's been a few days so not sure if you already have made up your mind about this but fwiw I went to Sushi Zo shortly after it opened in 2006 and found it really excellent and possibly the kind of thing you are looking for. Prepare to spend about $120 per person on the omakase iirc, which when we went was just sitting at the counter talking to the chef while he made us nigiri after nigiri of whatever he wanted until we told him we were full. It was great, though I've not been back since then.

Martbear
Jul 14, 2006

Whee!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Don't think I saw this posted here but Portos in Burbank is amazing. They do Cuban food and all sorts of lunch stuff. The stuffed potato balls glorious. The place is split into two sections. One for the bakery and one for everything else. Everything in the bakery is top notch. If you aren't on the verge of a diabetic coma when you're done then you aren't doing it right. The place is always packed but they have so much staff it all goes really quickly.

http://www.portosbakery.com/

Echoing Porto's.
Get the Cubano sandwich, potato balls (which are Cuban spiced ground beef covered in mashed potatoes and lightly deep fried in breadcrumbs, I cannot stress enough how good these are for 90 cents apiece) and for dessert try the cheese roll and guava cheese strudel.
That whole haul will cost you like 8 bucks.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Portos bakery is great.

The Cuban stuff is good for California, but not remarkable in any way if you've spent any time in southern Florida.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I'm working in Culver City now, and I work with several foodies who are making it a goal to eat at almost any place worth eating at in the area(and that is a LOT of places), so I'm open to questions on Culver area restaurants.

I also spent about 5 years in Long Beach and know many of the restaurants there as well, but it's not as good as scene.

As far as Culver City goes, one name I haven't seen come up in this thread is EK Valley, a Oaxacan(south mexican) restaurant that's great, small, and dirt cheap. It is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I had Mori Sushi near Culver City (more like Sawtelle) over the weekend. Omakase, $150/pp. Inventive stuff but abysmal value for money...I've enjoyed my sushi better in Little Tokyo and Torrance.

• Locked thread