Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Are there any other LA steaks recommendations? I was thinking of Craft for an upcoming anniversary but I'm open to suggestions before dropping ~$150 on a meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

THE RED MENACE posted:

Are there any other LA steaks recommendations? I was thinking of Craft for an upcoming anniversary but I'm open to suggestions before dropping ~$150 on a meal.

Craft is really good. I would highly recommend that. For steak it's that or Mastros for go to solid experience and meat.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

pandaK posted:

So there are plans to go eat at Fogo de Chao later this week. I've heard a few comments about the place here, but what should I be expecting there?

I would suggest climbing a tall mountain prior to maximize your value.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

THE RED MENACE posted:

Ultimate Mango posted:

Craft is really good. I would highly recommend that. For steak it's that or Mastros for go to solid experience and meat.

I actually like Cut a lot better than either Craft or Mastros; consistently good but they also changed their corkage policies to prevent people bring 3 ~ 8 bottles of Bordeaux.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Check out the bacon wrapped hotdog carts on sunset blvd at around 1am on fri-sat nights. Shits clutch.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

The one also has something called the GCB (Green Chili Bomb) which makes everything absolutely delicious.

I just ate at Shinsengumi and can confirm this.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

Zeitgueist posted:

Jonathan Gold's top 101 restaurants in LA is out.

http://ballots.latimes.com/lists/101-best-restaurants-jonathan-gold-2013/

A lot of the top is predictably money-is-no-object-dine-with-celebrity places, but there are many, many good choices at two $$ or less. I've only been to a fraction of this list.

edit:

This is like a month or two old, I just got around to reading it.....

Kind of shocked Mercado isnt on there.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I've been to Craft a bunch of times, and every single time I walked away thinking "thank god my company was footing the bill, not me." The food is good, but it's not as good as it should be for the price.

I recently went to Bestia in teh arts district near downtown LA. It was absolute perfection. I got the Agnolotti alla Vaccinara, which was cacao pasta tortellini stuffed with braised oxtail. It was revelatory.

I'm also surprised that there has been so much talk of sushi and no mention of Sugar Fish in downtown LA. The sushi is always perfect, served on amazing warm rice. Also, the prix fixe menus make it easy to have a full sushi dinner without worrying about a sudden $100+ bill per person.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

particle9 posted:

Kind of shocked Mercado isnt on there.

Why go to Mercado when Yxta is the same restaurant, 90% of the same menu, a much larger menu, and about 20% cheaper.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Looking at the menu it's exactly the same, price and what's offered. I don't like going to downtown LA. I think the only time I've gone there to eat is Baco Mercat. They opened a new Mercado on Fairfax last month.

edit: Also what that guy said about Sugar Fish. I've only been to the one in Santa Monica but it was good. I tend to go to Izaka-ya though whenever I want sushi.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
http://www.yelp.com/biz/el-sarape-los-angeles-2

Has anyone been here? I've heard it has fantastic ceviche.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

particle9 posted:

Looking at the menu it's exactly the same, price and what's offered. I don't like going to downtown LA. I think the only time I've gone there to eat is Baco Mercat. They opened a new Mercado on Fairfax last month.

Dude, c'mon.

Yxta exclusively has: Camarones al Ajillo, Pollo al Ajillo, Salmón a la Parrilla, Pollo en Mole Poblano, Chile Relleno (one of the best things they make), Enchiladas de Salmón, Enchiladas de Camarón, Enchiladas de Mole, Enchiladas de Res, Enchiladas de Verduras, Enchiladas Suizas o Rancheras, Tacos including Tinga de Pollo Tacos, Carnitas, Al Pastor, Machaca Arrachera.

Also things like the Arrachera plate is $5 more at Mercado, Guacamole is $1 more, Carnitas $4-5 more. I'm sure there are others.

I walk to the Mercado on Fairfax. I'm thankful for it's proximity and quality but I do prefer Yxta much more. They are very much not the same place. And Yxta is open for lunch, unlike Mercado.

And it's sad you don't like going downtown. There are some great places. Bestia, Louie, Shabu Shabu house. Lots of good stuff.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
If you're being treated to a meal, would you go for Bestia or Church and State?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mandalay posted:

If you're being treated to a meal, would you go for Bestia or Church and State?

Definitely Bestia because while the latter has good food, it pales in comparison.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004

sellouts posted:

Dude, c'mon.

:words:

I mean, ok if their enchiladas are that awesome... Seriously though I will try it. I love their other restaurant.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Furious Lobster posted:

Definitely Bestia because while the latter has good food, it pales in comparison.

Haha wow, Bestia reservations are impossible to get in a reasonable amount of time. Yelp people are complaining it took them 8 weeks advance notice.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 29, 2013

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So I just got back from LA for the Thanksgiving Holliday and ate out a ton.

Meals:
Dinner takeout from La Serenata de Garibaldi, Pico: I've eaten takeout here a bunch of times. The pico location isn't as good as the east LA location but it's one my favorite restaurante style Mexican places in town.

Dinner at West 4th & Jane in Santa Monica: I liked the bar here but the food wasn't great and was overpriced. I probably shouldn't have gotten pork belly corn dogs but who am I to refuse a corn dog.

Dinner at Salt Creek Grille in El Segundo: This probably wouldn't have been my first choice of places to go but the food was competent although overpriced. I'm not sure what else to expect in a south bay strip mall.

Dinner at The Bottle Inn in Hermosa Beach: OMG salty italian food. Like the saltiest meal I've had in a long time.

Dinner at Patina in DTLA: This should have been the crown of eating here but I wasn't that impressed. The food was very good but it wasn't fantastic which it should have been for the price. I got a wild mushroom risotto to start and partridge on lardons and lentils for the main course. They were good but just weren't as tasty as one would expect for the price. I think I didn't do a good job of ordering here and might have done better with the fish.

Anyway, it was good to be back in LA and good to see friends.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I really enjoyed a wild mushroom risotto at Patina's sister restaurant in LACMA, called Ray's. I think we had fish as well (it was a while ago for dineLA), and I suspect you would have enjoyed the meal much more if you had it at dineLA prices too.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mandalay posted:

I really enjoyed a wild mushroom risotto at Patina's sister restaurant in LACMA, called Ray's. I think we had fish as well (it was a while ago for dineLA), and I suspect you would have enjoyed the meal much more if you had it at dineLA prices too.

Well I didn't pay for that meal, which really helped. I though the risotto was really good risotto but I make really good risotto all the time at home. I guess I was somehow expecting the food to be transcendent at the price.

Edit:
For instance, I previously have been to Piccolo in Venice and La Folie in SF, with the same relatives, both for a similar price and those were both absolutely fantastic dining experiences. This might be a problem with my ordering as all the food I had at Patina was superbly prepared.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 2, 2013

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I'm visiting my family for the holidays and I'm going to a Laker game tonight. I saw this place on Vice called Mexicali Tacos and wanted to try it, but is it any good? I'm also open to other recommendations, and it doesn't even have to be around Staples as were driving from the IE. Were looking for something fairly quick and casual. I used to not care this much, but now that I moved out of state, I'm going to feel like an rear end in a top hat if I pick a dud.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I'm in Burbank for work right now but have a rental. Only packed jeans and I hate seafood.

What's the best meal I can get with this in mind? I've got one splurge night set aside. Meat or brazillian steakhouse is nice. Would prefer not a chain.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Walked posted:

Only packed jeans and I hate seafood.

Well you're in luck since people in LA wear cargo shorts, t-shirts, and sandals to Michelin-starred restaurants, so don't worry too much about the attire.

My personal favorite is Meals by Genet on Fairfax (Ethiopian). If you've never had Ethiopian before, it's a perfect introduction, and you will crave it forever afterwards. For 1 person expect to spend about $60 or more if you get wine (get the Tej) and desert (get the espresso and ice cream). Also it's pretty easy to get to from Burbank.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 1, 2014

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thanks! I'm a huge ethiopian fan but fiancee isnt (she is tagging along) so that may be a tough sell. :(

edit: Can anyone help me find a place? We went last time and it was awesome:

We were downtown, and yelped for margaritas and tacos. Found a place:
1) Was near a TON of construction; sidewalk on one side was covered with a scaffold
2) Not the nicest area, but wasnt uncomfortable (but I lived in rougher part of DC, so I may be less sketched out by rough areas)
3) Staff and patrons didnt seem to be english speaking at all
4) Carnitas were out of this world good
5) It was basically all by itself. There were other buildings and stuff on the same block, but there wasnt much else in way of retail or restaurants near that we could see.

Anyone have an idea?

Walked fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 1, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thought it might be Yxta but they speak English there and pretty much always have.

If you're looking for a steak go to boa and get the steak and wheel up Caesar. Don't overthink it.

Nick and Stefs downtown has their own dry aging on site but I was super disappointed the last 2 times I went.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 2, 2014

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

It has been said already, but it is worth reiterating Daikokuya Ramen in Little Tokyo.

I went there first thing after flying home for Christmas. I arrived on a Thursday night and the line was still 90 minutes long. It is cash only, so remember that if you decide to go.

I highly recommend the Tsukmen version of the pork ramen. The broth is prepped 24 hours in advance, and they add extra back fat...gently caress im hungry now.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Philippe the Original makes the best french dip in LA, and possibly all of California. They do beef, pork, ham, and lamb well, but the turkey is somehow just boring. My favorite is beef & swiss with mustard, double dipped. Very much a one-trick pony, but they've been doing that trick really drat well for over a century.

I haven't been to R23 for a long time, but the yelp reviews seem to indicate that they're still producing outstanding sushi. It's a touch pricey, but nowhere near some of the other places mentioned here, maybe $75-100 per person for a full meal, $30-40 for just sushi and drinks.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I finally got a chance to try Tsujita's Tsukemen after having gone to their Annex for dinner more frequently than necessary. I definitely think if you like porkiness, stick with regular Tsujita. If you love garlic or spice though, definitely go with the Annex. They're both great though but I really do enjoy the experience and overall vibe at Annex more than I do at the regular restaurant.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

I finally got a chance to try Tsujita's Tsukemen after having gone to their Annex for dinner more frequently than necessary. I definitely think if you like porkiness, stick with regular Tsujita. If you love garlic or spice though, definitely go with the Annex. They're both great though but I really do enjoy the experience and overall vibe at Annex more than I do at the regular restaurant.

This is a very good explanation of the differences between the two places. Nice!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there any good Chinese food in Chinatown proper

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Steve Yun posted:

Is there any good Chinese food in Chinatown proper

Not really, go to SGV. Chego is quite good in chinatown but not Chinese food.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Hello?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Chego is great fusion whatever, I forgot that place existed because they moved the Westwood adjacent location! Thanks!

Has anyone been to the Glendale Din Tai Fung? Is it as good as the Arcadia one? I went to one in Singapore and it was even better.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
It's decent. The Asians (from Asia) I was eating with didn't like the fact that all the waitstaff was non-Asian. I guess it detracted from their immersion? I thought it was fine.

At least you can do things at Americana while waiting 90 minutes to get seated.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mandalay posted:

It's decent. The Asians (from Asia) I was eating with didn't like the fact that all the waitstaff was non-Asian. I guess it detracted from their immersion? I thought it was fine.

At least you can do things at Americana while waiting 90 minutes to get seated.

If they're that piqued about the waitstaff, don't mention that the vast majority of cooks in Asian restaurants throughout the greater LA area are mostly Latinos including Din Tai Fung :ssh: .

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Have you guys been to Kang Ho Dong Baekjum? I'd definitely recommend it if you haven't already been there.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
How about breakfast/brunch? Normally passing through LA at that hour I'd do dim sum, but I'll be passing through on Monday with some people who don't particularly like it (and I've dragged them to various dim sum places often enough already).

Suggestions for something close to the 210->134->101 route would be awesome.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If Pasadena is acceptable, Julienne's has Creme brűlée French toast

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

If Pasadena is acceptable, Julienne's has Creme brűlée French toast

Actually Julienne's is in San Marino, it's not really close to the freeways and it's incredibly overpriced for what they serve. I'd recommend Marston's which is also overpriced but less so than the former and it has the added benefit of being relatively close to the 210 Westbound Fair Oaks Avenue Exit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Any good fried chicken in Burbank?

• Locked thread