Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Thanks guys. The prices at Julienne's don't bother me and creme brûlée French toast sounds loving awesome, but time is of the essence this morning so we'll give a Marston's a shot.

In case any one is ever up in Blue Jay (next to lake Arrowhead), Stone Creek Bistro is loving awesome. Went there last night and the food and service and atmosphere was top-notch. Didn't expect to find anything like that in this little town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adampadam
Nov 3, 2011
Any recommendations for Dine LA restaurants that have particularly amazing dinner menus?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

adampadam posted:

Any recommendations for Dine LA restaurants that have particularly amazing dinner menus?

The Bazaar's been usually pretty good for the past couple of Dine LA's and aside from that Drago Centro might have a good dinner Dine LA this year.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone wanna recommend a DineLA spot for downtown LA?

edit: or should I do Drago Centro

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 21, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey so do I just reserve through the DineLA site and that's it? Pay when we eat?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is there some schedule or map that shows when/where there are congregations of several food trucks in LA?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Is there some schedule or map that shows when/where there are congregations of several food trucks in LA?

Curbside bites does a great job, but they are more OC than LA proper. Really just stalk the Kogi truck. When that thing parks the hipsters materialize out of thin air.

On another note, if I wanted to take Mrs Mango out for something special, truly special, what would y'all recommend? I owe her a night out. I was thinking Craft because it's one place I've been several times for work and she's been jealous of that. I think I can do better.

Desafinado
Apr 4, 2002
I took my lady to two very special places during a holiday staycation a few weeks back. The first is Providence, which specializes in seafood. We did the 9 course tasting menu and it was really, really good. The second was SAAM at the Bazaar, which was much more modernist with plenty of interesting techniques applied.

We both preferred SAAM but we tend to be on the adventurous side. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/providence-los-angeles-2

http://www.yelp.com/biz/saam-los-angeles

We've also eaten previously at Melisse in Santa Monica in this same class of 'super expensive tasting menu experience'. All three of these are pretty pricey, though at Providence and Melisse you do have options to do shorter prix fixe dinners.

Also really had a good meal at Ink, Michael Voltaggio's restaurant.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Bestia was pretty tasty, and can be under $100 for 2 before alcohol. (unlike Providence)

Desafinado
Apr 4, 2002
I have definitely heard good things about Bestia, but haven't been able to get a reservation yet. That place is like nuclear hot right now, apparently.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Bestia is really good and I've only been able to go when friends can't use their reservations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I took the Mrs to Providence maybe a year and a half ago. Went for the middle option with some upgrades rather than the giant tasting. Was totally incredible.

We have gone to the bar at Bazaar several times but haven't eaten there. We have been to é by Andres in Vegas so that food is right up our alley. Didn't know that SAAM was different from the main restaurant. Will need to look into that.

Don't know Bestia but I will check that out.

Now that the real Nozawa is closed, is there a 'next best' thing for sushi? I get why he sold out and expanded Sugarfish, but that was something special.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Did you get foie gras at SAAM? I thought you could still get it there?

Sugarfish is a good thing for sushi in LA. I'm glad he makes really good sushi more accessible.

I am kind of over paying a lot for sushi right now. Id rather go to Hirozen during winter and spring because his selection of fish from Japan is amazing and it's an unassuming low key place. We have it so good in LA when it comes to sushi.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
You could just show up at Bestia at 5pm on a Wednesday and you'll probably get seated.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Now that the real Nozawa is closed, is there a 'next best' thing for sushi? I get why he sold out and expanded Sugarfish, but that was something special.

What's wrong with Sugarfish?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mandalay posted:

What's wrong with Sugarfish?

It lacks the man himself. It's fine, it just isn't Sushi Nozawa.

I guess I was hoping there was another small place with a crotchety old man making insanely good sushi.

Towards the end Nozawa-San told me that every day he got up, went to buy the fish, went to another place to cut all the fish for Sugarfish, then went to go open Nozawa for lunch. He was tired and his investors wanted to expand Sugarfish so he decided to close the original.

I suppose Sushi Nozawa will for me join a list with places like Sid's in Newport Beach where the time, place, person, and food came together to make something special. You know, rose colored glasses and all.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Here are two cheap ($) lunch spots that I miss the most:

Bay Cities Deli - Get the Godmother.
Gushi - Get the steak teriyaki plate.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

NoDamage posted:

Thanks for this. I'm always trying to find good delis as my appetite for cold cuts knows no limits.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

For sandwiches Potato chips off of Beverly by the grove opened up again. A+.

Also all about the bread is a bay cities knockoff at melrose and la brea if that's closer.

Soda pops off of la cienega north of Beverly is another good spot.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

NoDamage posted:

Gushi - Get the steak teriyaki plate.

Bay Cities is the best.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

In heading down to LA again for the weekend (yay "Jamzilla" - who the gently caress comes up with these names?) and while I've already got a nice list of lunch and dinner prospects culled from this thread, I'm curious if there are any interesting ethnic foods I'd never think of that haven't been mentioned here.

i.e. not American/Mexican/Chinese/Japanese/Thai/Italian/French/etc. For example, if a friend hadn't mentioned Ethiopian food to me once, I'd never have thought to ask about it in this thread last year. What other under appreciated goodies are out there? Jamaican? (I had great Jamaican food in Boston once.) Argentinian? (My roommate loved this Argentinian barbecue place he found in Auckland last year.) Antarctican? (I imagine this as snow cones carefully drizzled in penguin blood from an eyedropper wielded by a bland bespectacled man in a lab coat.)

Edit for things that just popped into my head: Lebanese or other middle eastern food? (There's a decent Lebanese place where I live but it's overpriced.) Greek? (No good Greek here.)

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 10, 2014

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Korean fusion is my personal fav that LA does better than any other place in the world. MexiKorean is popular (Kogi, Chego, A-Frame, etc) but Korean-Chinese Feng Mao is also worth a try.

Oh, Cuban at Porto's is pretty popular.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
There's a Lebanese place in Persian Square on Westwood called Sunnin. I liked their Kebbeh bin Sayniyeh.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Best dim sum place in L.A. FIGHT! (Also the one place you would not miss if you could only be there for one week. Doesn't have to be fancy/$$$ just can't get it anywhere else).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I would just go to Din Tai Fung and not worry about it.

You can get it all over Asia but I like it.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Sea Harbour is decent. Out of the way for sure, but it's reasonably priced and good.

Obviously it's not as good as HK though.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I know Empress Pavilion wasn't much liked by a lot of people here, but I always preferred it. Happy to hear it's coming back, though undoubtedly the food will be different under the new owner.

I'm making another run through LA next weekend and I'm looking for opinions on churrascarias (the main limits being $50 and under and not too far away from the 210-134-101 corridor). Here's my current list, please let me know if I missed anything good:

$47 - M-Grill: I've been here. Very good, but expensive.
$40 - Kravings: Actually a “fusion” place, in that their meats aren’t just Brazilian style. Never tried it. Any opinions?
$36 - Porto Alegre: I've been here. It’s good but not spectacular.
$33 - Gaucho’s Village: Never been here. Any opinions?

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
Since I got to Long Beach a few places have stood out where I've eaten at them consistently. They are all pretty affordable too.

Siem Reap- Great cambodian food. Okay everything else. Amazing prices, and the sweet and salty kimchi-peanut-carrot thing they bring out at the beginning is hard to stop eating. If it's not chinese it's really hard to order something bad here. Friendly staff with possibly limited english.

Jongenwaard's- Very solid classic american food, pretty affordable. The pies are usually good, with some misses. I think there is a sarah maclachlan cd stuck in the mixer and all of the staff are young, attractive, and rigidly uniformed. It makes me feel like i'm in a weird restaurant homage to one tree hill or something.

Creme de la crepe- Really only eat here because the girlfriend likes it. Kind of overpriced, some of the produce they use seems not the best. Actually pretty good merguez sausages and bourgignon.

Green Field is pretty awesome for not having a dress code. Eating slices of heart and rib in a tank top just feels great.

Really missing consistently good japanese, korean, and indian food since I came here from Costa Mesa. A whole lot of the vegan food sucks here too, everything else is just average. This city would be pretty great with a mitsuwa and a h-mart in it.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Is Saffron any good? It's real close to my new job. If the saag paneer is worth ordering, I will be very happy indeed.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Is Saffron any good? It's real close to my new job. If the saag paneer is worth ordering, I will be very happy indeed.

It's good, as far as American Indian food goes. The Saag Peneer is tasty but don't expect it to blow your mind or anything.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Nostrum posted:

It's good, as far as American Indian food goes. The Saag Peneer is tasty but don't expect it to blow your mind or anything.

Cool! Even mediocre saag paneer is a good thing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anyone want to recommend a good crab place in LA

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone want to recommend a good crab place in LA

Hungry Cat

e: dtla indian also has Gill's and BadMaash and that's it.

e2: this year's Jon Gold list is out. In case you need 100 amazing places to eat in la.

Aquila fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
LA Winefest is this weekend. If anyone wants tickets, get them through Goldstar.com, it's cheaper

What should I try out from this list? I am a complete wine newb.
http://www.lawinefest.com/2014-lawf/lawf/

• Locked thread