Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yeah, this time the villain will probably pose a challenge to Saitama

I'd honestly prefer it if it didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

if that ever happens then funny comic will be less funny

same goes for King and Watchdog Man

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 5, 2024

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yeah, THIS time the villain will probably pose a challenge to Saitama

nah, King would win

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Saitama will beat God through finding a fulfilling life and also punching him once

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

if that ever happens then funny comic will be less funny

same goes for King and Watchdog Man

We already saw King getting wrecked by Garou, although it was later reversed by Saitama

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

?

We saw King use his wave motion cannon to defeat Garou and that was the end of the arc

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Saitama will beat God through finding a fulfilling life and also punching him once

God will want nothing but to fight Saitama but Saitama will have found fulfillment and won't be interested.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

kdrudy posted:

God will want nothing but to fight Saitama but Saitama will have found fulfillment and won't be interested.

Saitama, annoyed at being accosted on his way to the store, gently brushes this weird scar tissue guy out of his way and they explode into a fountain of blood and gore.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The redraws are actually canon and it’s God altering reality to try and get its plans to work this time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lamebot posted:

Saitama, annoyed at being accosted on his way to the store, gently brushes this weird scar tissue guy out of his way and they explode into a fountain of blood and gore.

The power-scaling has changed a bit in that the strongest characters can actually keep fighting after a single light Saitama punch (and I think quite a few in Garou's case).

The only real constant is that nothing can cause physical harm to Saitama.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lamebot posted:

Saitama's actual true nemesis would be a store clerk who refuses to accept his coupons for the big sale on a technicality

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The redraws are actually canon and it’s God altering reality to try and get its plans to work this time.

ive been reading it this way since phoenix man lol

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I'm not very plugged into the world of Hollywood reporting, so I don't know how much confidence to have in this, but I came across a rumour that Dan Harmon has been recruited to rewrite the OPM live action movie script

https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbook.com/anime/amp/news/one-punch-man-movie-dan-harmon-writers/

If it turns out to be true, this would definitely elevate my expectations from "rock-bottom", since I can at least count on Harmon to emphasize character and story over shallow spectacle.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

That's the worst news I heard all day

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
please god no

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm arresting you for attempted murder

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Next you'll tell me Max Landis had been brought in to punch it up.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Maybe they are trying to make a parody of Dragon Ball: Evolution

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I genuinely had no idea Harmon was so hated. I guess I'm behind the zeitgeist...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bucswabe posted:

I genuinely had no idea Harmon was so hated. I guess I'm behind the zeitgeist...

It's cause he's a sex pest

E: He did apologize and the wronged party accepted the apology but then it came out on twitter he made a video of a tasteless pedophilia joke back in the day and now everyone's just like ugh

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 15, 2024

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
As a general rule live-action adaptations of things don't go terribly well, and then you got a writer known for Rick and Morty who could possibly be seen as, uh, not the right vibes we'll say, for a One Punch Man adaptation.

Like it could be great, or it'll be really bad, and historically speaking bring the popcorn and poo poo talking lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah there's a lot worse people than Dan Harmon (see: Justin Roiland) but it's still, ugh Dan Harmon.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Harmon's a good writer though, so this makes me think the live action adaptation could have legs rather than writing it off immediately.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If the quality is closer to a Marvel comic adaptation than a Shyamalan Avatar adaptation it could be alright. But like, holy poo poo why are anime live-actions so bad almost all the time lmao

I think the advantage with OPM is the humour is parody based and also a lot closer to what a regular rear end, non-anime fan would expect in terms of humour. So we'll see!

I'm gonna assume it'll be terrible and maybe be wonderfully surprised tho.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Yeah, I've had the expectation that it will be a disaster.

The worst thing they could do is to turn it into humourless action shlock.

If the creative teams are actual fans and want to make a faithful adaptation it COULD potentially be ok.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bucswabe posted:

Yeah, I've had the expectation that it will be a disaster.

The worst thing they could do is to turn it into humourless action shlock.

Well I think we can be a little hopeful on this front. Both of the co-writers are known for their comedy work.

Not saying they will end up nailing the humor, live action anime has a terrible track record of course. But at least that indicates that the people running this understand that it is important for the movie to be funny.
And Campbell has written for the Eric Andre Show, so there's that at least.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

And Campbell has written for the Eric Andre Show

BIRD UP! but it's Phoenixman redraws

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Runa posted:

BIRD UP! but it's Phoenixman redraws

"You're reading the worst fight in manga!"

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I hope the live action goes with the idea of two different actors for Saitama. That is all I need for it to be a success.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

If the quality is closer to a Marvel comic adaptation than a Shyamalan Avatar adaptation it could be alright. But like, holy poo poo why are anime live-actions so bad almost all the time lmao

I think the advantage with OPM is the humour is parody based and also a lot closer to what a regular rear end, non-anime fan would expect in terms of humour. So we'll see!

I'm gonna assume it'll be terrible and maybe be wonderfully surprised tho.

Because anime is a medium that frequently benefits from exaggeration and lack of realism while the entire point of live action is to make things more realistic.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

El Jebus posted:

I hope the live action goes with the idea of two different actors for Saitama. That is all I need for it to be a success.

I would love this. 99% of the time he's just some plain-looking, skinny bald guy, and then in a crucial moment you get some elite athlete to stand in.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Johnny Sins for serious Saitama.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Because anime is a medium that frequently benefits from exaggeration and lack of realism while the entire point of live action is to make things more realistic.

Yeah its basically this, it was an anime for a reason 9 times out of 10. Animation can do things that aren't really viable or sensible in live action (or least with a live actor, you cannot tell me a lot of big budget action films are actually live action since 90% of the action is CGI).

Its only a matter of time before all film animation is a drat FMV from your console gaming platform (poo poo Spiderman 2 and Jedi Survivor for any of their cinematics were nicer to look at than most films). You can't even have a traditionally done film from Disney anymore.

I dunno OPM could maybe be okay as a live action, but honestly making it a film is a dud idea to me. The whole point of Saitama is that he's an anti climax. Get to the finish of the film where he non challant just pops the bad guy folks will not come back for another. Live actor TV show maybe since that gag can reinforce itself quickly, but a film feels like its going to flop on pacing alone for the gags and action to work right.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 15, 2024

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I could see live action working if they're not afraid to have cutaways or some really stylish editing like Edgar Wright or something. But otherwise I can only imagine it looking like Liam Neeson climbing over a fence most of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by4UZ-79MK4

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
OPM is at its best when all the other characters/situations are taking themselves absolutely serious, and then Saitama just waltzes in and shatters it. I think a movie could capture that spirit.

If I were writing the script, I would end this movie at the Deep Sea King fight since it offers a character arc, and truly does let Saitama win in one punch.

If they skip straight to Boros and have an "epic battle" I think it will ruin the entire premise.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

El Jebus posted:

They could also just get an actor on the scale of a Christopher Reeves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNUu6Lf9mVU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I know people have described Saitama as a guy that "stopped giving a poo poo about everything", but that doesn't mean Rick Sanchez's stop giving a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Opm comes from a place of love and at it's best is a lighthearted take on shonen and other manga tropes. There is nothing I've seen from Harmon or Heather Campbell's work that suggests this will be good or sincere.