Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Onepunch-Man is a popular ongoing comedy webcomic by ONE. In June of 2012 it was picked up by Shueisha for their online site Tonari no Young Jump, where it's getting updates twice a month with completely new art while keeping ONE's writing and story.

Why new art?

ONE's art:

Murata's art:

Gee, I wonder why.

It is being written by ONE, who has done probably nothing you've ever heard about. He's drawing the original version of Onepunch-Man as well as writing it, and his art must be seen to be believed.

The new version's art is being done by Murata Yuusuke, who you might know for having done the art on manga like Eyeshield 21 and Donten Prism Solar Car. He's an immensely talented and dedicated artist and I could probably write the OP post of a Murata Yuusuke fanthread off the top of my head, but suffice to say he's one of the best choices imaginable for a series like Onepunch-Man.

Okay, so what's it about?

It's about the strongest man in the world.

No, really. The story follows a man named Saitama, who three years before the start of the story decided to become a superhero and attained incredible strength through grueling, nightmarish training that no mortal man could hope to survive.

The problem is, he's now too strong, and nothing poses a challenge to him anymore. One punch is enough to overcome any threat, hence the title. At the time we meet the main character, he's in the midst of something like an early mid-life crisis as he ponders the nature of strength and what it means.

For some reason, this is absolutely hilarious.

Also, he went bald.

Okay, but why should I read this?

The original Onepunch-Man was and still is a highly amusing story, but with Murata's art it becomes absolutely stunning in addition to being funny. Murata isn't bound by a page limit like he would be in a paper magazine, and he takes advantage of this to the fullest; his chapters are full of gorgeously drawn double page spreads that convey an amazing sense of motion.

---

Characters and Organizations

Heroes and Other People

Saitama

The titular Onepunch-Man. An unlicensed superhero. As of chapter 17, he's registered as a C rank hero. As written above, so strong that he actively wishes his opponents posed a better challenge. Monstrously powerful, gives no fucks. Except about special sale day.

His looks are an homage to Anpanman, the hero of the children's cartoon of the same name (Onepunch-Man's Japanese title is Wanpanman).

Genos

A cyborg and unlicensed hero. As of chapter 17, he's registered as an S rank hero. Has a backstory that could be a whole other story by itself, but in less than ten words: He thinks training under Saitama will make him strong.

Eternally dead serious, which makes him a good straight man to play off his constantly half-assed master. He worships the ground Saitama walks on.

---

Monsters and Other Antagonists
In the world of Onepunch-Man, monsters and other threats are ranked on a five point scale, from Wolf to Tiger to Demon to Dragon to God. A Wolf level monster is only a danger to individuals, while a God level being can threaten humanity itself.

Vaccineman

A being created by the Earth itself, born to cleanse the planet of the virus known as humanity.

An homage to Baikinman, the antagonist of Anpanman.

Crabrante

blub blub lol

---

By now you really should be reading. You can also read One Punch-Man as part of Weekly Shounen Jump US.

And once you're done watch this, it's great.

---

Murata streams the process of drawing his chapters regularly at this link, keep an eye on it if spoilers don't bother you and you want to see how he does what he does. You can find notifications on when he starts streaming on his twitter.

---

Wow, I really like this stuff! Is there more?
Murata and ONE have come together for a few oneshots which have been translated into English. You can find them here and here.

Someone else has also started translating ONE's original version, starting from a point roughly corresponding to chapter 30 of Murata and ONE's collaboration. You can read it here. And now discuss it here!

ONE's "serious" webcomic (the one he dedicates most of his time to), Mob Psycho 100, is unofficially being translated into English. Read it here!

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Probably my favorite thing to look for new updates of lately.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Yessss, great OP!
Though I think one thing you're missing out on is a picture that shows what I think is the "comedy" of the art. Shots where a sparsely detailed Saitama is juxtaposed next to super detailed villains.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Good OP for a great series. This falls into my favorite category of comedy manga: funny faces. When this is combined with the great art for the villains, side characters, and backgrounds, it just becomes amazing.

I find its non-art-related comedy to be somewhat similar to Beelzebub's, and of a similar quality: awesome.

Homo Depot
Jun 27, 2007

Studs on sale!
Now that I know there was a webcomic before it I want to read it to know what happens. Except I don't think I can bring myself to look at that godawful art. Pretty good op by the way.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Jesus Christ, that GIF of the opening pages. I cannot deal with how good Murata is. Love this series.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I'm really glad I found out about this series! It's one of the funniest things I've ever read! The art is also insanely good! That GIF is just magical. :allears:

dipple
Oct 22, 2008
I kinda think you should drop most of the characters section, spoiling all the heroes and villains before anyone even reads the chapters kills a bit of the comedy.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Yeah, dropping the names of who's coming up might be a good idea. The first image already whets the appetite or whatever the idiom is. :allears: And that GIF of the spreads.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This is the best new shounen manga since Beelzebub. Given time, it might well surpass Beelzebub too.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I'll take out the upcoming characters, though I didn't think just the names would be that off-putting. I'm not quite sure about removing the existing ones, though. With the possible exception of Genos, I tried to make the character descriptions as non-spoilery as possible, and most of the humor comes from their interactions with Saitama anyway. If more people want them removed then I'll take them out.

Nasgate posted:

Yessss, great OP!
Though I think one thing you're missing out on is a picture that shows what I think is the "comedy" of the art. Shots where a sparsely detailed Saitama is juxtaposed next to super detailed villains.

I thought about that for a bit, but I thought that calling attention to that deliberately would be forcing it a little. It's apparent enough from the pic of Saitama and the pic immediately following of Genos (and the rest) that one of these things is not like the others.

I also added a couple animated shorts. Hope someone enjoys them.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah part of the enjoyment of reading this comic for me was being surprised by the ridiculous rear end character designs he comes up with so I'd support not putting them in the op.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So, latest chapter ended with Genos getting dyed in Saitama's colors. Is he becoming stronger? Or just more half-assed?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mystic Mongol posted:

Is he becoming stronger? Or just more half-assed?

Why can't it be both?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

This is pretty loving awesome, I'll definitely be reading this regularly.

Caeruleas
Mar 5, 2007
This too shall pass
I just read up to 12 in one sitting. Glad Jump doesn't block access to IPs outside Japan.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So this isn't going to be published in English for reals anywhere right? Because I've been waiting for Murata Yuusuke to draw something I actually want to read and this is up there with Vinland Saga on my "wait for a legit version" level of manga hype

nono
Jun 27, 2011
Murata is one of my favourite artists, so happy to see him working on a longer series that's hilarious to boot. Anyone else getting a Go Nagai vibe from some of the designs?

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

nono posted:

Murata is one of my favourite artists, so happy to see him working on a longer series that's hilarious to boot. Anyone else getting a Go Nagai vibe from some of the designs?

Considering how influential his work is on modern Japanese monster design, I see why that comes through.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So I just got done reading the untranslated chapters and I have to say, after seeing the way what the big spreads like Sonic's ninja running around work on the official online viewer... this is a comic that makes really good use of the digital format. I mean yeah, it ultimately boils down to a series of big two page spreads that are lousey with speedlines and are delivered in rapid succession for impact, but that impact is pretty neato and it does a great job of sucking you into the action in a way that I can't really say I've seen done as well anywhere else before.

These webcomic clowns trying to tell action stories could learn a thing or two from Onepunchman, is what I'm saying

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Sonic almost seems like a reference to Lampo the Hypersonic Boy, which is a childhood favorite of mine. Done by the guy who did Metal Guardian Faust!

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

These panels are absolutely amazing. They're all I've seen of this, but I think I need to take a look at this right now.

vvv Ooops.

El Belmondo fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 16, 2012

Sled
May 20, 2004

Musashi not only wields a sword but also a pair of pistols.
Picked this up a few days ago after perusing mangaupdates for new stuff, and this is the best thing I've read in a while. I didn't realize this was in an online version of a comic magazine and based on a webcomic; that original art is pretty horrendous, thank god for the amazing artist for this.

Newest hero-person is pretty androgynous as gently caress, I couldn't tell whether that person was a guy or girl until he got smacked in the nuts; which is probably the joke.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

El Belmondo posted:

These panels are absolutely amazing. They're all I've seen of this, but I think I need to take a look at this right now.

the sound effects drop shadows
:syoon:

Could you remove the second gif? That chapter hasn't been translated yet.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Why? Raws are available if you chose to look for them and it's not a spoiler

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Relin posted:

Why? Raws are available if you chose to look for them and it's not a spoiler

Yes it is a spoiler, and I don't choose to look for raws.

geeksauce
Mar 1, 2011
Thanks for this thread. I just read all that has been translated in one sitting and holy poo poo, it's awesome. Love the art, love the characters, love the humor. I need more.

MayLanh
Apr 16, 2012

by angerbot
Onepunch Man 16

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Continues. To. Be. ABSOLUTELY loving AMAZING. Holy poo poo that last page.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 16, 2012

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
God drat, that last page was fantastic.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
The best part of the last page is the backwards foot.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Nthing love for the great last page.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I am so glad I discovered this gem. Every single chapter has been absolutely amazing. Read trough it in 1 sitting and loved it all.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I'm loving this manga more and more every chapter.

I was gonna get this as an avatar:

But getting it under the file size limit is impossible. I was thinking of this:
if anyone can think of a good title for it.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Special sale day was YESTERDAY?!

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
just an average guy who works as an average hero

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Everyone in the world should
have heard of my feats by now.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

I was thinking of this:
if anyone can think of a good title for it.

DON'T POINT YOUR SNOTTY FINGER AT ME LIKE THAT

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
That last page was amazing. Also, I think the first few pages of the exam were Eyeshield 21 references.

This manga :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Nondevor posted:

That last page was amazing. Also, I think the first few pages of the exam were Eyeshield 21 references.

This manga :allears:

These pages came way before Murata was involved with the series, sorry.

In unrelated news:

HOLY poo poo HE ACTUALLY DREW IT LIKE THIS.

Also from Murata's twitter:

Murata's first drafts for the cover illustrations on volumes 1 and 2.

Note: In the end he didn't go with any of these. This loving guy.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 17, 2012