Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

MrCinos posted:

So if someone else won't translate/scanlate OPM we'll see the next chapter in English in the beginning of Jan 2013. Which is good enough for me since Molester Man (don't judge it by the title) is an excellent series too and I anticipate its chapters even more than OPM ones now.

Boon sure knows how to find gems.
Does he! You're a name-dropping jerk and now I've gone and spent time that was meant for writing a paper reading all of Molester Man. You're right, that one really shouldn't be judged by its cover! As a huge fan of the original Train Man, I'm completely in love already.

But that's off topic. How long does it usually take for higher quality scans to hit the net? For the special one-shot, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
For tank like quality? A bit. It is much more different that scanlation cleaning. Also echoing everyone sentiments.

I really loving love this manga. The fact that Saitama is basically a straight man is great. I was laughing alot in this manga. I was afraid it would get old with Saitama one punching things but it really doesn't. It is really Saitama basically punching Shounen in the face considering he's like yeah yeah, not interested.

Also my god Murata is goddamn talented. I mean hell look at Eyeshield 21 in the early years, he was good but not insanely good as he is now.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The new chapter is finally up on the Tonari no YJ page, with the next one due early (or late, as the case may be) in about ten days. It was a good chapter. Murata once again shows that he's insane.

In other news, OPM is apparently selling pretty well in stores, so that's a good thing.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I just read this and holy poo poo OPM is great. Saitama may be the best protagonist since god knows when.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I'm trying to sell my friend on this manga and he's read the first few chapters and says he "doesn't see a story". Since the original webcomic is out there super long, would someone mind saying without spoilers how "plotty" we can expect things to get?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
From the current Murata chapter (19) to the current ONE chapter (87) there are three major arcs, the last of which is still in progress. If that helps. I don't know how much more I can say without spoiling anything.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Is there anyone scanslating the ONE version of this? I rather like those scratchy drawings, even though his technical skill isn't great he has a solid understanding of panel layout and transitions

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

That was actually brought up a few pages back.

AnonSpore posted:

Personally, I wouldn't scanlate the originals, though I can't really give a reason why other than "I don't think it'd be worth the effort." Murata's obviously in it for the long haul, and I don't really see any downside to just taking his version as it comes instead of working on a version that'll be rendered more or less obsolete sometime in the future. Like, if you did chapter 19 tomorrow, people would maybe read that for a week, but after that (once Murata's version came out and Boon translated it) almost nobody would ever go back to the version you did. In that sense, it's sort of like posting text spoilers to future chapters, in which case why not do that and save yourself the trouble?

were my thoughts on it. Mostly because scanlating isn't a zero-effort endeavor even with art as simple as ONE's. And in regard to your point, Murata does in fact preserve a large portion of even the paneling and angles that ONE used, so it's not like people would be missing out waiting for Murata's version.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Actually, I'm curious. I'm under the impression that the Murata version is essentially just an art update with the script largely intact but have there been any changes to the script? I know Murata's apparently keep things ridiculously faithful and recreating scenes shot-for-shot but I'd expect at least some minor changes since that generally happens in most adaptations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Actually, I'm curious. I'm under the impression that the Murata version is essentially just an art update with the script largely intact but have there been any changes to the script? I know Murata's apparently keep things ridiculously faithful and recreating scenes shot-for-shot but I'd expect at least some minor changes since that generally happens in most adaptations.

No, not really. A few character designs have been changed, and a few scenes have been padded out to be more impressive. For example Oldface the brainy mad scientist really lives up to his name in the original. Sonic doesn't have that bun that makes him look even more effeminate. Mosquito Girl looked fairly horrific in ONE's version. The undergrounders look completely different. etc.

As for scenes, a few of them have been changed slightly. For example Genos and Saitama's spar in the most recent chapters was quite shorter in the original, being spread out over two chapters instead of finished in one. But by and large, over 80% of any given Murata chapter will be more or less cut for cut the same as ONE's. I could cut and paste any number of the more memorable scenes from ONE's version and you'd probably be able to recognize them immediately.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnonSpore posted:

No, not really. A few character designs have been changed, and a few scenes have been padded out to be more impressive. For example Oldface the brainy mad scientist really lives up to his name in the original. Sonic doesn't have that bun that makes him look even more effeminate. Mosquito Girl looked fairly horrific in ONE's version. The undergrounders look completely different. etc.

As for scenes, a few of them have been changed slightly. For example Genos and Saitama's spar in the most recent chapters was quite shorter in the original, being spread out over two chapters instead of finished in one. But by and large, over 80% of any given Murata chapter will be more or less cut for cut the same as ONE's. I could cut and paste any number of the more memorable scenes from ONE's version and you'd probably be able to recognize them immediately.

So ONE's kinda like ZUN, then. Good at design / layout, not so good at the technical execution. Also they both have three-letter nicknames. ONE probably doesn't drink as much as ZUN, though.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
It only took a drat month but here you go

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

"I don't even know what I'm saying but maybe the atmosphere can fake it?" :allears:

failedninja
Nov 29, 2008
Oh my god a two-page spread to literally zoom in on one panel. This comic is the best.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Mr. I-Only-Translate-For-Fun needs to translate for fun more often, that was priceless.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Autumncomet posted:

"I don't even know what I'm saying but maybe the atmosphere can fake it?" :allears:

This, a thousand times this. It was amazing. :allears:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Elbow Joint Panic

Is this the most panels with a "serious" Saitama ever?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Elbow Joint Panic is a good name for an anime. Probably a tennis slice of life or something.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Saitama's expressions on this chapter were the best in the entire manga, just saying.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Plutonis posted:

Saitama's expressions on this chapter were the best in the entire manga, just saying.

I love how goddamn serious he looked though half of this.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Autumncomet posted:

He looked so confident. :swoon:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
The double page "huh" panel is now my new wallpaper.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
This is great reminds me a bit of Astro fighter sunred, just Saitama is more kick rear end because the bad guys are actually going all out against him.

It has gotta be only a matter of time before this gets made into an anime, the manga is basically already animated in parts

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Murata's Onepunch-Man is the anime version of ONE's Onepunch-Man.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Who makes backpacks that big anyway? :crossarms:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

Who makes backpacks that big anyway? :crossarms:

Dr. Stench, obviously.

On another note the next chapter is also out in Japanese, with the one after that scheduled to come in just one week. That's pretty great. If Murata meets his own deadline, that is.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Saitama bullshitting his way out was great!

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Saitama is the best mentor character and he makes the best faces.

I like how his speech really wouldn't have been out of place as a completely serious thing in just about any other manga.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming we get to meet all the other Rank S heroes now/soon?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

I'm assuming we get to meet all the other Rank S heroes now/soon?

Yes, though not all at once.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

AnonSpore posted:

Yes, though not all at once.

I'd like to imagine the opposite happening. Something horrible shows up, every S hero comes running out only to get stomped, and then a guy trying to stop a purse thief one-shots the beast merely because it happens to be blocking the path towards the purse thief.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

chapter 20

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The little girl trying to get Saitama in trouble has an oddly South Park face.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love Saitama's thought process here. "I can't deal with this guy trying to blow up the city and kill everyone so he can fight me, I need to stop a bad guy!

"...Oh right." *slam*

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
The best is how long he takes to get to that conclusion.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I don't know what's more epic. Saitama biting the sword in half in an epic panel, or him looking like he was drawn by a five-year-old while karate chopping Speed to death.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

This loving comic.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
You expect exactly what you get, yet it always exceeds your expectations in how well done it is.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I always meant to go ADTRW ambassador and post this in BSS, but I can't decide between posting it in the Funny Panels thread, or the Badass Panels thread.

I mean, yes, they are all humorous, but the art is badass, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Unlucky7 posted:

I always meant to go ADTRW ambassador and post this in BSS, but I can't decide between posting it in the Funny Panels thread, or the Badass Panels thread.

I mean, yes, they are all humorous, but the art is badass, so...

I'd probably show off the gif-worthy sequences in the badass panels thread. The humor is good, but not remarkable. Those action pages however, are goddamn amazing.