Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Next redraw up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Well thats different

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Just a minor detail changed, no big deal.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah, wut

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I’m assuming that was the ninja leader throwing out a warning shot

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in one version, phoenix man had his costume destroyed which left him a depowered human. it was a pretty good gag, but it doesn't really fit with how monsterization works anywhere else.

Clearly he just further monsterised into the most terrifying monster of all.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Translation out https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/LCkwQHt/1/1/

Edit: Yeah OK that's quite different, wonder what caused this huge shift in plot

pik_d fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 20, 2024

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

pik_d posted:

Translation out https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/LCkwQHt/1/1/

Edit: Yeah OK that's quite different, wonder what caused this huge shift in plot

Lack of foresight and planning? :v:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
err….huh?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

This is way better already. Love these redraws and A class hero Caped Baldy protecting Monako.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
One thing that really bothered me about the original version of this chapter was how much Saitama was willing to tolerate all the exposition from Flash and Blast, and even seemed interested in it at times. "Sure I've got nothing better to do" felt like a complete character break. I'm glad they fixed that in the redraw.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Well, this is a lot better and skipping straight to the point! I like

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Alright I'm trying go parse what happened here, help me clear this up

Bang felt an attack coming, so he warped(?) the city away from some giant cross Slash? Or did he put up some kind of gravity shield?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"It's a long story."
"Oh. I'm good then..."

:allears:

White Light posted:

Alright I'm trying go parse what happened here, help me clear this up

Bang felt an attack coming, so he warped(?) the city away from some giant cross Slash? Or did he put up some kind of gravity shield?

He encircles the HQ/City and lifts it up a few hundred feet into the air, so the dimension blade attacks converge on an empty pit, then Blast returns the HQ to where it was.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I think he warped it somewhere else entirely just before the moment of impact, or maybe shrunk everything down to an infinitesimally small singularity or something wacky like that. On the centerfold page where all the slashes converge there's no visible association building, so he didn't just create a shield and lift it up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The thing about these redraws is that Murata has the energy of a Shonen protagonist and 0 idea of what a rough draft is so he just does 4 chapters before ONE can get a chance to look at them and his team can finish a chapter of OPM. Then, with his storyboarding expertise and knowledge of where he's planning to go he can look at what's been made and veto or approve some things as he sees fit.

Sadly this does lead to moments like Saitama sitting Monster Garou down in a broken shack on the opposite ends of a table being lost because ONE was intending to work 'God' into the story at that point but them's the breaks.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

The thing about these redraws is that Murata has the energy of a Shonen protagonist and 0 idea of what a rough draft is so he just does 4 chapters before ONE can get a chance to look at them and his team can finish a chapter of OPM. Then, with his storyboarding expertise and knowledge of where he's planning to go he can look at what's been made and veto or approve some things as he sees fit.

Sadly this does lead to moments like Saitama sitting Monster Garou down in a broken shack on the opposite ends of a table being lost because ONE was intending to work 'God' into the story at that point but them's the breaks.

Could’ve worked that moment in anyway. It feels more true to One’s writing and what he likes to do with his characters than what we ended up getting.

It was genuinely one of my favourite panels in the comic and I really don’t like that it got retconned out of existence.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Devils Affricate posted:

I think he warped it somewhere else entirely just before the moment of impact, or maybe shrunk everything down to an infinitesimally small singularity or something wacky like that. On the centerfold page where all the slashes converge there's no visible association building, so he didn't just create a shield and lift it up.

It's possible I'm just misreading page 20? Page 19 you can see it lifted several hundred feet above the ground, page 20 I assumed you can't see it because of the impact explosions of the converging attacks masking it from sight, and then page 21 when those have cleared you can still see it elevated far above the ground though now much lower before page 22 shows it being slotted back into its original position. I guess it's possible it blinked out of space entirely on page 20 into another dimension or something and was back a split second later? But because we saw it lifted up and then lowered back down I just assumed he'd just zapped it up in the air and then back down again.

Edit: Murata please correctly assume I'm a hopeless dumbass, you don't need to redraw the chapter!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i figure it will either be explained next chapter or else redrawn again to clarify matters.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Saitama probably thinking,"Huh, weird... why didn't Blast just smack aside that weak attack?"

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

It's possible I'm just misreading page 20? Page 19 you can see it lifted several hundred feet above the ground, page 20 I assumed you can't see it because of the impact explosions of the converging attacks masking it from sight, and then page 21 when those have cleared you can still see it elevated far above the ground though now much lower before page 22 shows it being slotted back into its original position. I guess it's possible it blinked out of space entirely on page 20 into another dimension or something and was back a split second later? But because we saw it lifted up and then lowered back down I just assumed he'd just zapped it up in the air and then back down again.

Edit: Murata please correctly assume I'm a hopeless dumbass, you don't need to redraw the chapter!

Page 19 shows a small bright ball high above the ground, which is the center of where the hero association used to be; it's the last glimpse of it before it phased out in Blast's black hole. On page 20 the association is gone and Empty Void's attack splits the ground. On page 21 it warps back into the exact place it originally disappeared from, except a considerable amount of ground is missing because of the attack. Page 22 it drops into place because of the missing ground.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
It was superpowers

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I've always been uncertain about is how we're supposed to view Saitama's ambivalence towards pretty much everything. Like it's one thing to be a comedic straight-man, but a lot of the time his behavior crosses over into a bizarre unwillingness to seriously engage with other people.

He almost comes off as a character who realizes everything around him is fictional, and has little investment in other characters or their lives as a result. I'm not sure how much of that is meant to just be perceived as a gag, and the line is further blurred by other characters (usually reasonably) taking everything seriously.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I've always been uncertain about is how we're supposed to view Saitama's ambivalence towards pretty much everything. Like it's one thing to be a comedic straight-man, but a lot of the time his behavior crosses over into a bizarre unwillingness to seriously engage with other people.

He almost comes off as a character who realizes everything around him is fictional, and has little investment in other characters or their lives as a result. I'm not sure how much of that is meant to just be perceived as a gag, and the line is further blurred by other characters (usually reasonably) taking everything seriously.

That is literally the point. He is so strong he has disengaged with life

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

He engage with king though, but I think thats because King is the only other one on his level

he usually is just not up for anyones tedious exposition or whatever, not being interested in some bullshit end of the world stuff he could punch away does not mean he is complete disengaged. He loves shopping for deals and playing nintendo and lounging around on his futon and sticking to his exercise routine. he doesn't wanna hear some blowhard ramble on about their ancient society of ninjas

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
The intro to the series suggests that Saitama's arc is to find a battle to fill his spirit once again. But pretty much everything since then is more about him finding his own humanity through "saving" other characters (first Genos, then King, then Fubuki, Garou, Tatsumaki and now Flashy Flash).

He continues to make gradual progress (accepting a roommate, tolerating social events, remembering some names, befriending monsters) and the scene on I.O. basically put to bed the idea that he will ever be made "whole" through combat.

I think he's friends with King primarily because King is the first person to give him a real thrill in a long time (video game competition)

Bucswabe fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 22, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I liked the conversation with King he had. Where King suggested things Saitama could try and do and he brushed them off, cause he was not interested leading to "Ah so you are bored, but won't do anything to try and change that"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jerkface posted:

He engage with king though, but I think thats because King is the only other one on his level

he usually is just not up for anyones tedious exposition or whatever, not being interested in some bullshit end of the world stuff he could punch away does not mean he is complete disengaged. He loves shopping for deals and playing nintendo and lounging around on his futon and sticking to his exercise routine. he doesn't wanna hear some blowhard ramble on about their ancient society of ninjas

The reason this stuff comes off weird is that people are often saying things that it makes sense to empathize with. Like Flashy Flash actually does have a hosed up background relevant to the current situation, and his story wasn't even long-winded.

His opinions make sense to us, readers who are aware that everything happening is fiction. But they're very strange for someone who actually exists in the setting.

As ImpAtom says, he's detached, but I'm not sure if the writing means for us to view this as a serious part of his characterization or if it's just a gag. And it also doesn't really make sense on its own - characters like Silver Fang can also effortlessly beat 99.99% of humanity, but they don't exhibit this weird apathy. The apathy is also limited to other people - Saitama is perfectly capable of caring about things like sales or video games.

Edit: My personal interpretation is that Saitama isn't even really a character, so much as a "force of nature" in a setting that otherwise takes itself relatively seriously (it's kinda like Mob Psycho where it's a gag-heavy story/setting, but where you're still supposed to care about the characters)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 22, 2024

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
A character telling Saitama that they have a story to tell is almost always a trigger warning for an overly-long, self-obsessed, ego-driven diatribe for how great/victimized they are. From both Heroes and Monsters.

Pretty much every character he meets has a massive ego, until Saitama humbles them

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
It is a goofy world, parodic one could say, that takes itself seriously, and Saitama is the one stepping in on the reader's behalf and calling out the nonsense. So yeah that's kinda his deal, but it is a legitimate character motivation for him to try and get past that way of thinking.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I see Saitama as an addict in recovery against his will. Instead of hitting rock-bottom, he built up such an impossibly high tolerance that he literally can't get high anymore so he gives it up. Completely different reasons to quit but same result. One would think that fighting giant monsters and world-ending catastrophes would cause a rush, but alas, nothing. He's still a good guy, though. Bored, but good.

He's also one of the only people in the series that doesn't seem to have anything to prove or anyone to impress. This, perhaps more than anything, sets him at odds with those around him. King, despite being Saitama's foil, closely relates because he's on the opposite end: he knows he's powerless (despite his reputation). He accepts this and tries to make the best of it. Saitama and King being the most "normal" of all the heroes is a central part of the gag.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I, for one, am shocked at the guy who's character is "can't relate to people anymore" is often uninterested in hearing things about other people

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
In the now retconned new chapters, was it a continuity error that Blast had been (implied) shown recovering the black cube at the ninja village, and somehow Empty Void also has it?

I wonder if this might be the main reason ONE is redoing all of it...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I am still eagerly awaiting the day that people with some level of awareness of Saitama's strength misunderstand him saying he's never been able to beat King in a fight :allears:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Bucswabe posted:

In the now retconned new chapters, was it a continuity error that Blast had been (implied) shown recovering the black cube at the ninja village, and somehow Empty Void also has it?

I wonder if this might be the main reason ONE is redoing all of it...

I think that was a new cube, god has tons of them

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Saitama is a metafictional construction who was created by ONE to satirize and deconstruct genre conventions. Saitama cannot, by nature, take any villain or hero monologues seriously because to believe something, to accept it as part of your reality, is to, in turn, be measured in comparison to it. That is his one and only superpower.

Once you're dragged down into a narrative from a lower-order reality where the conventional solution is, at best, a long and tedious training sequence, you've already lost and you're missing out on the things that truly matter (a two-for-one coupon on napa cabbage that's about to expire).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ImpAtom posted:

Also the problems that the other characters face which have completely redirected their lives for decades and become central to their idea of self and motivate all their actions are pretty much always something that Saitama could have instantly solved by punching it and then forgetting all about it and moving on. Sometimes they literally are an event which Saitama instantly solved and then forgot about, like all the monsters that people assume King dealt with.
He's incapable of understanding why these guys get so hung up about these things which he views as incredibly minor issues which aren't even worth thinking about.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

"Ah so you are bored, but won't do anything to try and change that"

This is extremely real. People psychologically trapping themselves in a box is a very common, very unhealthy habit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

According to chapter 186 it's only been a bit over two months since Genos became Saitama's disciple. So even less time for all this crazy poo poo to affect him because Saitama wasn't registered with the Hero Association before that and he'd never seen an S-Class hero and all of these events. So there's even less time to be motivated to change as a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I just think the man is low-mid grade clinically depressed.