Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I love how the chapter is basically comparing the martial artists to Genos, who is doing the same tricks but a hundred times flashier and stronger. Snek has it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I was prepared to be disappointed, but this chapter was kinda cool, and I'm looking forward to my friend Genos actually winning a bunch.

But like always, I guess we're all just waiting for the punchline. Saitama is gonna punch out the happy arrogant kungfu prodigee and go "you guys suck" and go play videogames

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The content has never been the issue for me, it's the pacing and that's getting a bit better but not hugely. It'll probably read a lot more favourably when it's done.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The content has never been the issue for me, it's the pacing and that's getting a bit better but not hugely. It'll probably read a lot more favourably when it's done.

I think the content is a problem. There hasn't been a proper joke in ages, and, while the fight scenes are pretty, there is absolutely nothing at stake. It's just completely devoid of anything that makes OPM good. :shrug:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh nothing's ever at stake, at least nothing we care about like innocent bystanders with names/faces attached to them or the heroes. But yea, Saitama is kind of needed to play off of so an entire arc where he's just ducking around is kind of bad (for OPM, which is still good and better than a lot of things just because it's a punchman comic with good drawing).

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I think that's just it. Nothing at stake. There's a bunch of random monsters introduced, some of which are awesome or goofy, but they don't DO anything and just spout the same generic arrogant villain lines. The martial arts tournament is the same way; it has some neat character moments, but it's just... there. I feel like there's too much build-up and too little payoff, so you're left hanging and slowly getting bored waiting for the punchline ( :haw: ). So I'd also argue that the comic has a pacing problem right now, only unrelated to the actual release schedule.

But now Genos is on the scene and martial artists are dropping faster, so things might actually be picking up now again. Hell, I still want someone to finish off that centipede!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Oh god it's Hitball all over again.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I agree with the issue of stakes and pacing being problems, but I think the biggest issue I'm having with this arc is that I read ONE's comic and I know what is being delayed for this tournament. I don't think I'm alone in that feeling either.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Torquemadras posted:

I think that's just it. Nothing at stake. There's a bunch of random monsters introduced, some of which are awesome or goofy, but they don't DO anything and just spout the same generic arrogant villain lines. The martial arts tournament is the same way; it has some neat character moments, but it's just... there. I feel like there's too much build-up and too little payoff, so you're left hanging and slowly getting bored waiting for the punchline ( :haw: ). So I'd also argue that the comic has a pacing problem right now, only unrelated to the actual release schedule.

But now Genos is on the scene and martial artists are dropping faster, so things might actually be picking up now again. Hell, I still want someone to finish off that centipede!

This is why tournament arcs are notoriously bad. The action doesn't move anywhere, there's almost never any tension between the matches since you can pretty much figure out "is it a normal match? then no one is going to be hurt/suffer at all. Is it a match with the edgelord brooding antag/unknown merc type? Someone's getting hurt then".

Usually they're just used to introduce a host of characters and explain their abilities or to stall for time. There are only been a few series that have done tourney arcs well. And most of those did it by just not showing 90% of the tournament.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
My Hero Academia's tournament was pretty good, but the focus was less on a serious who will win question than using the fights to further develop characters.

Also it inspired the fan art meme of Uravity flipping off the Baron of Explodokills, which would have justified it all on it's own.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Gyges posted:

My Hero Academia's tournament was pretty good, but the focus was less on a serious who will win question than using the fights to further develop characters.

Also it inspired the fan art meme of Uravity flipping off the Baron of Explodokills, which would have justified it all on it's own.

That's one of the ones I was thinking of. It wasn't even about the tournament itself, everyone was just showing off. My favorite was the "fight" between the support member and Iida. She was just giving a product demonstration. It was great because you didn't know who was actually going to do what. The whole thing was also part of another contest all together and some people were fighting just to spoil the points for another's benefit.

I also liked the tournament at the end of the Hunter exam in HxH. Again, not it's own thing, part of the larger story, and 90% of it was off screen. Also had a great twist that the winner of each match was out and passed and the loser went on to try again. So there was only 1 loser in the whole thing.

Same thing with the way Helck starts off. The whole thing is a tournament at first and they just start doing dumber and odder stuff to try and influence the competition instead of just 100 chapters of 1v1s.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Part 2 of chapter 61 is out

Geno still kickin rear end, Saitama still being Saitama.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

This was a Good (part of a) Chapter.

Nice to have something that felt like things actually happened again.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The only problem with one punch man is that I run out of one punch man to read.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
This is seriously one of the best issues recently, not that they've been bad. GJ Sourface!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
As somebody who's been a bit hard on this arc, this chapter was more what I was hoping for.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 18, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
great chapter. Love watching Genos fight monsters

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
My only problem with One Punch Man is that there just isn't enough of Genos being strong and hot, but this chapter is a strong step forward. Really happy to see Genos being more cautious, as was his problem with Mosquito Girl and Carnage Kabuto. After seeing Genos get clowned on for the past couple arc, good to see he is very much deserving of that S Class. The Yamcha of OPM, he ain't (i still love yamcha)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Attaboy Saitama

you show that belt who's boss

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Moltrey posted:

My only problem with One Punch Man is that there just isn't enough of Genos being strong and hot, but this chapter is a strong step forward. Really happy to see Genos being more cautious, as was his problem with Mosquito Girl and Carnage Kabuto. After seeing Genos get clowned on for the past couple arc, good to see he is very much deserving of that S Class. The Yamcha of OPM, he ain't (i still love yamcha)

I thought it was fairly clear Genos is more the Krillin than the Yamcha. Actually decent at fighting, but always thrown into situations where he looks like the world's biggest chump.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

As somebody who's been a bit hard on this arc, this chapter was more what I was hoping for.

Yep. Plenty of pages, plenty happens and it's very well paced.

Genos the useless jobber is fine as he was, so while I don't mind him getting his time to shine in added parts like this, I don't really care to see him in the parts ONE has drawn because there are always a lot more interesting characters involved with those.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
guys I'm really worried about genos this new one looks tough.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

PFlats posted:

Oh. gently caress .

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
I really liked the juxtaposition between the fighters techniques and Genos using them to an exponential degree. It gives Genos a chance to show how ridiculously strong he is now.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
So is Genos mirroring Bakuzan or is Genos mirroring Saitama

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Yep. Plenty of pages, plenty happens and it's very well paced.

Genos the useless jobber is fine as he was, so while I don't mind him getting his time to shine in added parts like this, I don't really care to see him in the parts ONE has drawn because there are always a lot more interesting characters involved with those.
Oh for sure, there are def more interesting things happen than Genos, but he appeals to the dumb child part of my brain where I think he's cool as hell and want to see him win. It doesn't help Murata and the anime make him fighting look sick as gently caress, so anytime he's not getting worked out and being turned into modern art, I'm having a good time.

And he's still a player of interest in ONE's stuff, so it's all good

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

PFlats posted:

That's the first thing I thought of too. Still my favorite one shot from Murata.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This tournament has had a pretty miserable start, but now that it's pay off, it's paying off big.

I really love the juxtaposition between the contestants sparing and Genos life-or-death battles. This is the good poo poo.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I liked one of the heroes at the end being a Saiyan

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Nahxela posted:

So is Genos mirroring Bakuzan or is Genos mirroring Saitama

Definitely Bakuzan, he's about to go at this monster with ALL HE HAS, NO HOLDING BACK FOR ANY REASON which is what Bakuzan is thinking about his opponent.

e: As much as S-class outclasses regulars, Saitama eclipses them even more so it's juxtaposing Genos with all of the regular heroes and then how much Saitama/these monsters outclass them.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.
wow a good chapter. been a while

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Really, really good chapter, glad things are starting to heat up

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I hope Genos' character growth is realizing that Saitama is a gigantic doofus and stops calling him sensei but just bein buddies

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Huh, new Murata series coming soon:

quote:

The Japanese online retailer 7net is currently listing that Yuusuke Murata (One-Punch Man, Eyeshield 21 artist) will launch a new series in Kodansha's Morning magazine in this year's 31st issue, which will ship on June 30. The listing doesn't give any further information about the series.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Confirmed: MUrata is trying to die of art

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

this is the chapter you show to people to get them into one punch man

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm at least four updates behind because I'm just waiting on this to wrap up because no book was made to be read a chapter at a time with the next one made readable anywhere between a day to a year.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muike posted:

I hope Genos' character growth is realizing that Saitama is a gigantic doofus and stops calling him sensei but just bein buddies

Saitama can be a gigantic doofus and a wise mentor. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

This tournament has had a pretty miserable start
When it started with the chapter where Saitama was dodging attacks sitting on a chair and hiding his face, that was a good start, real shame murata redrew it and removed that part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Bisse posted:

When it started with the chapter where Saitama was dodging attacks sitting on a chair and hiding his face, that was a good start, real shame murata redrew it and removed that part

where can i see this chapter