Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Has any other major manga had this level of rewrites and tinkering after the fact? I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it.

I can kinda see why they're going over things again. The last couple chapters were funny but the action was pretty limp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Have any of the redraws ever been more well-received than the originals?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Shadow0 posted:

I think the Phoenix Man fight was great once it was fully finished, but it was like 2-3 times longer, so there was a lot of complaints about how long it was taking to get back to the main story.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Shadow0 posted:

Bring back saitama scolding garou in the destroyed apartment

Love that panel better than anything that replaced it

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Shadow0 posted:

I think the Sea King punch is a lot more detailed in its redraw, I'd have to hunt them both up again to see if one is actually 'better' though. I did notice the ninja fights did seem more on the level of Regular Manga rather than insane-drawing-machine Murata levels. Don't know if it's going to be worth redrawing the whole thing, but he claims it's also going to change the storyline significantly so :shrug:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

theyre all better

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I'm pretty sure every redraw has been a pretty significant improvement, even on scenes that were already really good. People just get mad about them because it means they have to wait longer for new stuff.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The Phoenix Man fight was the worst offender, but otherwise the redraws were not so bad.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Redraws are largely "not so bad" but also "not really any better." They're equal parts "slightly more cool poo poo" and "worse pacing" that mostly cancel out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Did the final Phoenix Man redraw include the bit where Saitama gets bored of waiting and punches his way into a telepathic conversation to complain? Because if so then the redraws were all entirely worth it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the only really bad redraw was removing the 'please sit the gently caress down and lets chat' storyline

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

That probably led to more webcomic panels being adapted though, if that's something that matters to you.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
My opinion is that a lot of manga artists are probably jealous at the fact that Murata and ONE can do revisions instead of being stuck with whatever they put out because of the harsh deadlines.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shigeru Mizuki would just tell them to get more sleep, it's good for you

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

even if they are better, none of the redraws have been good enough to justify spending the time and effort on them instead of just continuing the story, imo

it is what it is, though

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I was under the impression that half the time ONE is taking a break and Murata is a workaholic who chooses to do redraws rather than stop for one second.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Nah, I think that ONE is involved. Some of these redraws are some mayor turns in plot and might be a bit awkward if they weren't discussed first.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Babe Magnet posted:

even if they are better, none of the redraws have been good enough to justify spending the time and effort on them instead of just continuing the story, imo

it is what it is, though

The stops in forward progress are a temporary experience for real time readers, the redraws are exist for as long as the series is hosted/published so it's a long term investment dealie.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah I know, but as one of those real-time readers I have a bit of a bias lol

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
I thought the Orochi fight redraw was an improvement in every way over the original.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Babe Magnet posted:

it is what it is, though

it's not your time or effort why care

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Because the experience as a reader is bizarre and annoying. Why are we now going back to the bit we just did? Why is it the same but different? I want to find out what happens next!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I hope ONE and Murata redo the whole comic from chapter 1.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Elfgames posted:

it's not your time or effort why care

I'm a fan of Onepunch-Man when it is good and I want it to continue to be good so I can continue enjoying it.

And I largely don't think the redraws are better.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

As long as they end up doing them in chunks so I know when to check out until they're finished iterating, reading Phoenixman_final_v3_corrected got kind of annoying but the rest doesnt phase me overly much

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I have faith in One, and we have other things like Versus and Bug Ego. Hope he starts up a series he draws himself again soon!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The table thing is where I kind of turned on the redraws. I don't mind slight changes but "the entire plot changes massively" sucks.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
How do they handle the redraws when they later sell the manga in volumes? Do they just pretend they never existed, or are they included as little bonus sections at the back of the book?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Devils Affricate posted:

How do they handle the redraws when they later sell the manga in volumes? Do they just pretend they never existed, or are they included as little bonus sections at the back of the book?

The print volumes don't include the insane 360 stop motion camera swing when Sonic is bouncing around Saitama in the forest in like chapter 5 so they will forever be inferior to the web version.

Comedy option: They should release a new version of volumes whenever something in them is redrawn, you'll have to check a patch notes file on github to know if you're on the latest release or if you need to rebuy :capitalism:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Devils Affricate posted:

It looks like the volume released a few weeks ago stops a bit before the king motion wave canon

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would not be able to tell you what the difference is in any of these redraws tbh.
I'm sure side by side they're completely different but reading as the chapters come out, I haven't a clue.

I wouldn't say they're pointless, I just don't see the point myself.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Most redraws don't change the plot appreciably.

Off the top of my head (from when I started reading):
- Phoenix Man survives; costume monster lore introduced
- Sweet Mask doesn't kill the Mercs and they have a little story arc with the Sword disciples
- Oorochi provides more God lore; still one-punched
- Saitama and Garou don't sit down to chat (fight would have probably played out similarly anyway)
- Blast and Sitch are aware of Saitama's strength (probably won't tell anyone else)

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Bucswabe posted:

Most redraws don't change the plot appreciably.

Off the top of my head (from when I started reading):
- Phoenix Man survives; costume monster lore introduced
- Sweet Mask doesn't kill the Mercs and they have a little story arc with the Sword disciples
- Oorochi provides more God lore; still one-punched
- Saitama and Garou don't sit down to chat (fight would have probably played out similarly anyway)
- Blast and Sitch are aware of Saitama's strength (probably won't tell anyone else)

I think Boros kicking Saitama to the moon was a redraw. Everything else is just Murata polishing the art for the volume release.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I'm just not even sure how these redraws even need to happen in the first place. Like, given Murata's insane output, I imagine it probably grows from ONE saying "okay here's my initial concept for now this plot should go down" and 30 minutes later he calls to say "wait, I thought of something better" but Murata's already three and a half chapters in. Could maybe benefit from an editor saying "okay pace yourselves, are you sure you're set on how you want this to go"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bucswabe posted:

I did like that Sitch's concern was that, knowing that Genos is Saitama's #1 fanboy, if they screwed with Saitama, Genos would blast him into atoms :allears:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Jerusalem posted:

I did like that Sitch's concern was that, knowing that Genos is Saitama's #1 fanboy, if they screwed with Saitama, Genos would blast him into atoms :allears:

Yeah mans is clearly still not fully Getting It

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Are the mercs still alive? I feel like the redraw changed their status a few times.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Are the mercs still alive? I feel like the redraw changed their status a few times.

They are except for their leader.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in one version, phoenix man had his costume destroyed which left him a depowered human. it was a pretty good gag, but it doesn't really fit with how monsterization works anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in one version, phoenix man had his costume destroyed which left him a depowered human. it was a pretty good gag, but it doesn't really fit with how monsterization works anywhere else.

I hope he wasn't considered "human" at that point, for what happens next (Child Emperor stomps his groin with sawblade boots)

https://cubari.moe/read/gist/Z2lzdC9mdW5reWhpcHBvL2RkMTlkNjU3NjhjOGJlMTk3MTFmZTllMjAwNDVkOGY1L3Jhdy9vcG0tc2NyYXBwZWQuanNvbg/100-/19/