Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh poo poo, I can pay for OPM? Guess I have to get off the fence and sign up for SJA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The new chapter is out in Japanese, and it was pretty nice (though the site is running at the speed of molasses because everyone is rushing to read the week-late chapter). This mini-arc has been original content that's not in ONE's version, but I think it's setting up for the next major arc with the Deep Sea King, especially given how the monster was made of seaweed and it mentions hearing rumors of strong monsters gathering in the area.

Next chapter should be out on the 31st of January.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Haha, that ending was great. Good to see Onepunch is back.

MrLamo2k1
Dec 11, 2003

The new sheriff in town
Latest chapter is out.

So uh, using context clues, I assume that kombu is seaweed?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Holy God that is a terrible translation, please don't read it, and if the other chapters mangapanda has done are anything like that too, please forget you ever read them as well.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

AnonSpore posted:

Holy God that is a terrible translation, please don't read it, and if the other chapters mangapanda has done are anything like that too, please forget you ever read them as well.
Agreed, I wish I had read this post before I tried to read the chapter.

I'm usually pretty tolerant of poor quality translations or typos, but that was complete rubbish.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
All I know is I wish I had a handkerchief that transformed into a rapier.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Gyges posted:

All I know is I wish I had a handkerchief that transformed into a rapier.

I was assuming he was a magician type.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Note: When I say it's a bad translation I'm not talking about the grammar or anything (though that's awkward too). Tons of lines are mistranslated, and many have even been made up wholesale, probably because the translator didn't know what they meant. Really, save yourself the trouble and don't read it.

failedninja
Nov 29, 2008
M...Maybe we should give up...!?

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

RatHat posted:

I think all published manga artists do that.

Really? Even Tite Kubo? :v

OPM's best feature, for me, is how fast the story progresses. Sure, some of them are gag shorts but it shows more development in an episode than most shonen types that just drags things as long as possible and fake battle tension leading to power-ups every 5 chapters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Unlike a normal shounen fighting manga, you don't even need to see Saitama's fights. We all know what the outcome is, and either way there will be some spectacular art.

Lintwhite
Oct 15, 2007

Holy poo poo, this was painful to read. I am so sorry, I gave up the project last night and this is what happens :stare: (And my translations weren't even that good to begin with...)

That said, I hope a group who can provide a better translation comes along. This manga, as good as it is, deserves something far better than that. (Or, wait, are new chapters going to be posted to that Shonen Jump website?)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Yeah Shounen Jump Alpha is picking it up. that said, I do hope some other competent group picks it up, since SJA is US only.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Boon didn't drop the project, and he's still working on it (albeit at a slower pace than before). He usually has time to work on the weekends, though, so maybe he'll catch up today or tomorrow.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Boon
Batoto

Boon's caught up to the most recent chapter and his translations are much better than mangapanda's, so I recommend you read them. Maybe compare them with mangapanda's so you can see just how terrible they are, because god drat, it takes effort to be that bad.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 20, 2013

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo, how did I not notice page 27 of chapter 19 till now :allears:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

My favorite hero right now must be Partially-Iron-Middle-Aged-Salary-Man in page 14 of the latest chapter.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Rexides posted:

My favorite hero right now must be Partially-Iron-Middle-Aged-Salary-Man in page 14 of the latest chapter.

I came here to post this. Comb over hair and everything.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
That same panel has a hero who's most definitely named Fatman.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Oh man. I just like how the monsters and heroes are seperately going. "There is some really strong poo poo in that area watch the gently caress out we don't know who but they kick all comers in the face."

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
One of the heroes investigating was carrying a giant kendama with a happy face on it as a weapon. And the monsters at the end were Gachapin and Mukku.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Even though I know that a lot of the monsters and/or heroes are nods to various things from other Japanese shows; when Kombu Infinity showed up the first thing I thought of was Sigmund the Sea Monster from 70s weirdos Sid and Marty Krofft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD--1jZT-Ps

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I was not expecting an Aaaaaah! Real Monsters reference in this manga.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Oh God drat how did I not see that before.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I can't believe it took me this long to realize that Saitama is Sunred before he met Kayoko.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What do you mean?

Caeruleas
Mar 5, 2007
This too shall pass

Justin_Brett posted:

Mind: blown.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

pnumoman posted:

I can't believe it took me this long to realize that Saitama is Sunred before he met Kayoko.

Sunred was originally passionate and dedicated to being a hero, so not really.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Murata also drew short extra chapters for the volume releases, and Boon is doing them as well. Here's the first one, for volume 1. Nameless Bicycle Commuter :allears:

Boon
Batoto

As an aside, Boon has noted that he's going to stop scanlating OPM once Shonen Jump Alpha's releases catch up to Japan. I checked out the translation of the first chapter that's up on Shonen Jump's site and it was more or less accurate if a bit dry. So there's that, too.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 22, 2013

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

Murata also drew short extra chapters for the volume releases, and Boon is doing them as well. Here's the first one, for volume 1. Nameless Bicycle Commuter :allears:

Boon
Batoto

As an aside, Boon has noted that he's going to stop scanlating OPM once Shonen Jump Alpha's releases catch up to Japan. I checked out the translation of the first chapter that's up on Shonen Jump's site and it was more or less accurate if a bit dry. So there's that, too.

That was some enjoyable backstory :D

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

AnonSpore posted:

poo poo. I hope someone else competent picks it up then, I'm hooked on this manga hardcore now.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Shonen Jump Alpha will be releasing on the same day as Japan. For published series like Naruto and Bleach this is a problem because English scanlations are actually done with leaked scans that come out almost a week before Weekly Shonen Jump physically hits shelves in Japan, but since Onepunch-Man releases online anyway, American readers should be getting true synchronized releases. For non-Americans, I'm sure that people will rip and upload the SJA scans to online readers, though I'm not certain whether that'd keep people from talking about it here.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
So now we know that Saitama's far from invincible. He's deathly afraid of missing Special Sale Day and missing Burnable Trash Day.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The amazing thing is that he still gets his trash picked up when the neighborhood seems to be otherwise deserted. I want a side story about how non-heroes view that area.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
Oh my God, that was the best monster yet.

Also, yeah, the differences between the translations are... striking. And I think some of the earlier versions were missing the last pages in some of the chapters.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Am I the only one sad that Piggy Bancon was defeated? I think he'd make an excellent villain.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Rexides posted:

The Gas Mask Cowboy gets my vote. There's just something about a dude wearing a traditional fantasy cowboy get up but with an added gas mask that's just incredible.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/153637/onepunch-man_ch20.5_by_boon-scanlation

We sure are seeing a lot of pre-hairloss Saitama... I imagine he's easier to write for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Training Saitama can get his rear end kicked around legit. So I approve heartily.