Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I think Kild meant the shapeshifter thinking King had seen through his disguise, which (to answer the question) was also in the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

It would be immensely funny if Murata just stopped the redraws cold turkey after this chapter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMRtx_vTcD4

"PLUG IT IN PLUG IT IN!"

"The Cintiq or the external HD?"

"THE CINTIQ THE CINTIQ!"

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

The new twist is now that, King, too, is the last person to be convinced that he is the world's most powerful superhero and he still wants absolutely nothing to do with any of it

Still standing paralyzed in the face of overwhelming opposition, this time because he fears unleashing The Power Man Was Never Meant to Have

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I like that Blast describes himself as "backup", implying that he's the weakest among the unseen Anti-God Hero Squad, and that he's perfectly fine with that. Refreshingly free of ego, a clear parallel to Saitama; not coincidental that the two strongest heroes in this world are two of the ones who are the most divorced from the ego and jockeying that defines the rest of the Association.

Of course, if that alone was the determinant of strength then Mumen Rider would clearly be on top. So maybe other forces are at play. But I have faith that Mumen Rider's time will come.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I didn't think the character progression was that hard to follow, though this has been drawn out enough that people may forget the details. Garou, at the nadir of his angst, disappears up his rear end, abandons the kids, and monsterizes. Later, Bang manages to get through to him, even literally cracking through the shell in one of the most obvious visual metaphors you can imagine. He was aided on that path by seeing just how much worse monsters can get with the bullying. So at this current point in his life, he still doesn't particularly trust or like anybody, but he's at least reset to the point where he can at least recall why he got set on his path in the first place.

Metal Bat's participation, while cool on the surface, is possibly being done in order to draw parallels (has a kid sister he looks out for, etc.) and, by recognition of their commonalities, bring Garou back even further, etc. etc. and my problem is it all seems kind of predictable at this point. Like, the series used to routinely deflate and poke fun at this kind of thing. Saitama would be confronted with a series of big monsters eager to share their elaborate, sturm-und-drang-filled backstories which he absolutely did not give a poo poo about hearing. Punch time, it's over. Now it feels like we're living through one of these backstories. I'm still interested to see if they can pull off an interesting subversion but it's not looking likely at this point.

In short,

Gologle posted:

I think sometimes people forget this is a joke comic.

I hope ONE and Murata don't forget, either

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

bacon flaps posted:

you did see saitama surf an aircraft carrier this same chapter right

Hell yeah, and like I said I hope they don't forget so we can continue to see more of that.

It's just that the Garou arc seems so stretched out relative to other arcs, especially for what seems to be a much more conventional character arc. OPM has done such a good job of juggling a wide cast of all sort of flawed, dopey, off-kilter damaged characters who slowly turn themselves around via their association with Saitama, but so much weight has been thrown behind this particular one for so long that I'm afraid it's taking on its own gravity. As it is, it feels like the gags are cleared more off to the side to make room for the heightened action and drama.

And don't get me wrong, it's still great stuff: the art and action? Still phenomenal. The gags? Still funny as hell. But it has lost a bit of its equilibrium along the way. It has been taking a different direction from the webcomic and that's okay, I enjoy it for what it is. Just hope it doesn't move too far that it starts taking itself really seriously.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Bucswabe posted:

Tatsumaki, I would say, is emblematic of the over-confidence and sense of invincibility that the S class had up to this point in the story.

The fight against the cadres should be a very humbling experience

And even in spite of that, she was able to see through the fake Blast's offer, which probably would have been the greatest temptation to her. The real Blast's subsequent compliment was spot on, and it was :3: to see how she took it.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Gotta hand it to Saitama, he was as good as his word when it came to his day getting any shittier

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

He loves a good bargain on groceries

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Super Reddit Atheists may end up being the natural enemy of "God", sure. Although Curse World could do it too, maybe.

I hope (and expect) to see the series explore various combinations and not just getting it right the first time. The Wild Growth world could plausibly be matched by either World Tree or Disaster World. Parasites could check the Aliens, Giants, or conceivably anything biological. If they're all here in this crowded world then some of these conflicts should already be playing out, which also makes the bickering about how they're 'impossible to manipulate' kind of moot.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Child Emperor, Metal Bat, Watchdog Man, and Pig God are all doing their best

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I'm so glad they kept that punchline the same as the webcomic, because it's perfect and needed no changes whatsoever.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

SECURE THE BIG FATTY TUNA

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I particularly liked watching the students desperately rationalize away what their instincts and training was telling them. "He is completely open... which must mean that he has no openings at all!"

It again also contrasts with reactions to Saitama, who is often observed to be full of openings, but nobody ever extends that level of benefit of the doubt to him.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I hope they get more into why the two groups are (or aren't) "natural enemies" in the next issue. So far they've speculated that the giants will just view the neo-humans as any other squishable human, but not why the neo-humans might be the best chance to result in mutual destruction.

My speculation: An advanced form of humanity with enhanced intellect may have advanced sciences as well (even if it's oriented toward cruelty) so a more subtle threat may allow them time to adapt, win, and possibly even strengthen by the end of the conflict. The giants will just rush in with zero subtlety and probably smash enough poo poo to set them on the back foot in terms of resources, whereas the neo-humans' own arrogance may still lead them to assume they can fight the giants with their current capabilities.

It's a good matchup thematically since it's not necessarily that they are 'opposites' of each other in any way except civilizational development -- they are matched in cruelty and arrogance and that's what will lead them to wipe each other out.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Just popping out a hole in the wall like it's Pee Wee's Playhouse

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Let's be honest, they're all mall-swords guys. Yes, even the original. Perhaps especially so

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

For me, green, probably because of Monsters Inc

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Only because King is the only hero she unreservedly respects.

Or even if she decided to pick a fight with the whole S class at once, she'd go out of her way to avoid him since she'd figure he has some hidden countermeasure prepared.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Mr. Lobe posted:

Wonder if that thing really is some kind of creator-demiurge, or if it's just a manipulative and powerful interloper entity.

According to Gnostic theology, the creator-demiurge IS the manipulative interloper/pretender, so it really would be fun if Saitama wrecks The Ultimate Reason poo poo Sucks.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Oh I see what you meant. Personally I feel that would be the less interesting route (plus we've already had one ultrapowerful alien in the form of Boros), much more fun to have Saitama to punch Literal God (or at least Ialdabaoth) in the face

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Flash and Sonic kind of look more childlike, especially in the last few pages. Probably used both to heighten the sense of how outclassed they are, and also because they're really just two childhood buddies working through their issues together :3:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

I'm just not even sure how these redraws even need to happen in the first place. Like, given Murata's insane output, I imagine it probably grows from ONE saying "okay here's my initial concept for now this plot should go down" and 30 minutes later he calls to say "wait, I thought of something better" but Murata's already three and a half chapters in. Could maybe benefit from an editor saying "okay pace yourselves, are you sure you're set on how you want this to go"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Saitama is a metafictional construction who was created by ONE to satirize and deconstruct genre conventions. Saitama cannot, by nature, take any villain or hero monologues seriously because to believe something, to accept it as part of your reality, is to, in turn, be measured in comparison to it. That is his one and only superpower.

Once you're dragged down into a narrative from a lower-order reality where the conventional solution is, at best, a long and tedious training sequence, you've already lost and you're missing out on the things that truly matter (a two-for-one coupon on napa cabbage that's about to expire).