Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

ninjewtsu posted:

my question is: does the army have a scientist with capabilities similar to that of dr stench or metal knight on their payroll? if masked weirdos can harness strange abilities to defeat monsters, is the military also studying and utilizing stuff like "this guy with a bat gets more powerful the stronger he is?"

is there a special secret military squad composed entirely of guys utilizing the awesome powers of tanktops to take down special threats?

I am 100% sure that the military has an elite squad of super soldiers with power armor, and when they're deployed they're inevitably gently caress things up and then die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

ninjewtsu posted:

ok but what if instead of power armor they had some absurd hero-like gimmick, on par with "tanktops are god's clothing"
They have such a gimmick, and with it and their training, they've rendered heroes obsolete. Move aside, punk, the army is here.

Oh God, he has kung fu snakes for fingers, etc etc etc.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

I'm surprised there's no hero who gains power from their obsession with an idol.

Sounds like the blizzard squad to me.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

TheLoneStar posted:

Narcisstoic for best (and most handsome) hero.

Not only is he a fantastic hero, it was pretty great when Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask was surprised to see such talent in the lower ranks.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Roland Jones posted:

There were multiple parallels between the up-and-comers and the S-Class heroes. Ninja and Flashy Flash, Mizuki and Darkshine, Futotsu and Pig God, etc. Even Sweet Mask had his eye on someone and seemed impressed.

Also, Twin Tail, the blind(folded) murder clown, was female too. No mentor for her, though.

None of the S class heroes were impressed by any newcomers who weren't just like them. And there's no murder clown S-rank, so.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
The first time the Man with The Power of the Black People shows up, it's actually not a bad little parable about racism, especially given that it comes from Japan. The coach is nursing his grudge about being passed over as a pro player by some black rear end in a top hat who didn't train very hard, so he doesn't give his team's star player a shot because he's black. But over the course of the game it comes out that the kid's amazing not because of the natural muscles only blacks have, but because he's trained three times harder than anyone else and viewed the hate his coach dumps on him as an opportunity to better himself. The coach grows, the kid's heroic, his team would have won if it wasn't for horrible racism, a lesson is learned and everyone goes on with their lives.

The second time he shows up, nope, it was the impossible power only blacks have after all and he's just physically superior. But that whole last storyline was kinda crap.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Collapsing Farts posted:

The fights are better than the jokes~

Yeah, and the jokes used to be better than that.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Maxwell Adams posted:

he's a good monster

the goodest

How soon they forget.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

I can't blame him for not being interested in seeing another Spider-Man origin story.

Seven spider man origin stories.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Andrast posted:

This is entirely unrelated but do modern movie trailers normally show like half of the plot? I don't normally watch those but that spiderverse trailer showed a lot.

The pendulum is beginning to swing the other way, actually. The infinity war trailer, for example, explicitly lies several times and always depicts Thanos with two infinity stones, no matter when in the movie the shot was from.

There are a number of solid twists in Spider-Verse.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I think One is probably a good mangaka and I look forward to reading Mob one day but the story and humor in One Punch, while very good!, are not nearly good enough for me to want to read through it in a tenth of the time and with one thousandth of the spectacle. I'm here because they make an incredible team that produce an incredible product together, I would have no interest in this series if you took away either half.

Eeeh. Imagine if Vaccine Man had his storyline today. I'm not sure the five chapters of furious battling between the heroes, including two chapters where we learn that Lighting Max is pushing himself too hard to prove his promotion to A rank wasn't a mistake, would really help that story.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I mean, it always kind of struck me as weird to call Panther racist, given that his whole arc (aside from his actual physical abilities, which were amazing because he was an amazing physical prodigy (as some people are, he was the Michael Phelps of runningbacks) who also worked super-duper hard every single day (he basically got both shonen tropes in one)) was based around how incredibly stupid and pointless and without any merit racism is.
Like, every single player on his team loved him (Panther), and thought their coach was being incredibly dumb for allowing his racism to blind himself to reality, spending basically their entire game in the series trying to convince him to stop being such a stupid goddamn racist and put Panther in, because he's awesome and worked hard to deserve his spot on the field.
Then the coach eventually gets it through his big dumb Texan head that maybe his racism was actually bad and dumb after all, and he was wrong to believe in it just because he was bitter about having lost a runningback spot of his own back in his younger days to a black man, upon which he'd gone all-in on his racism in that whole 'one bad experience with a minority group can turn a dumb person into a *ist/phobe' thing.
Seriously, that whole arc could have been an exceptionally long and better-written Afterschool Special on why Racism is Bad.=

So, yeah, the Panther arc walks a real thin line between "this is depicting racism" and "this is racist" and it doesn't help that Hiruma, the character who is Always Right, goes on and on about the muscles that only blacks posses.

Then Panther comes back for the series's final game and all that criticism of racism is replaced with a lazy black celebrity and a lot more celebration of genetic superiority. That last game was total rear end.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Look, I just want to get to the fireworks factory. It's been years. They keeps adding more and more stuff. The Gale and Hellfire fight was one and a half panels, and it got expanded to several chapters. I don't even remember phoenix man in the original, but we sure spent a lot of time watching him not be the fireworks factory. Now Psykos is Kefka and is having a multi stage boss fight. The expanded material keeps getting redrawn and updated because heaven forfend Child Emperor's seventh robot sidekick doesn't look cool enough. And no, more King isn't bad, but... god drat it. When are we getting to the fireworks factory.

I just want to watch the fireworks factory blow up. After that, you can have all the tales about handsome boys learning the difference between heroism and strength you want.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Jerkface posted:

A tank top is a fireworks factory for the soul.

All this expanded Tank Top content is also not the fireworks factory!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Darth TNT posted:

But he was a loser who worked hard to get where he was

Booo, he worked hard and he got where he was, the two weren't related. The Naruto series has someone who works hard and believes in himself, who isn't genetically superior, isn't the son of a hokage, didn't have infinite fox chakra, and wasn't a huge tool. But Rock Lee was a joke who accomplished nothing ever, while Naruto was Ninja Jesus.

Naruto's messages were hard work pays off if you're the ubermench, and if you shower someone abusive with enough love they'll change.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The whole thing with the final villain of Naruto, and Kishimoto admitting he 'made him too powerful to beat', trying to justifying the big fart of a bait and switch with a completely unannounced villain.

You know, people poo poo on Dragonball's writing a lot, but Toriyama was good at that problem. Scene one: Bad guy explains all his powers and how they make him totally invincible, too powerful to beat. Scene two: Good guy punches him. Scene three: Bad guy's all NOOO I AM INVINCIBLE THIS IS HAXS and is defeated.

Or to put it another way...

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

Shoot, I think I forgot to ask this before. Lemme just be sure I've got all the facts right first. He lives in Z-City which is basically abandoned aside from him right? One day I was thinking about this and wondering why he lives in that apartment specifically. Surely there're some larger nicer ones he could stay in rent free right?

Presumably he got that place back when he was fresh out of school and job hunting, and then the rest of the city evacuated due to monsters.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Terror Sweat posted:

Really? Goddamn man, this thing is definitely slow as hell with that comparison

Remember the thirty page sequence of Metal Knight landing on a roof?

There are consequences.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

CannonFodder posted:

In the original ONE webcomic and I think at this point the plot has changed enough that I can talk about it, when Tornado brings the house down and everyone is stuck in the rubble Supershine Alloy and PPPrisoner use their muscles to basically swim through the rubble to rescue everyone.

Less PPP, more Pig God? A good change.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Supersonic Shine posted:

I immediately followed up "It's fine now." with "Because I am here." I wonder how well All Might would do in the Heroes' Association.

Dude's got strong Brand Energy, he'd do just fine.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Seems to be pretty smart all things considered. Fubiki and Iaian would've gotten pasted if they "moved up" to S Rank at any point and they'd be the top candidates.

Oh, the gatekeeper system is great. You can't move up a rank unless you're #1 in your rank. So you've got Mumen Rider, who tries the hardest and is the nicest, meaning you can't reach B rank just by being good on camera. You've got Fubuki, who only lets people past her in ranking if they play political ball, so you have to be able to work with the other heroes (or be overwhelmingly stronger than Fubuki) to reach rank A. And you've got Sweet Mask, who stands like a steel gate in front of S rank.

Take a random S rank: King, say. You know he can actually fight, because he ranked up past Mumen Rider. You know he can lend his abilities to assist others, because he ranked past the Blizzard group. And you know he's exceptionally strong, because not even Sweet Mask can deny his power. It's a good system, that works well.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Rigged Death Trap posted:

S Rank is by invitation. The original ranks of the current crop who were already heroes before hitting s rank were all over the place. (metal bat was a C)
The majority of rank climbers want to get to A rank but dont aim for s rank because only crazy people are s rank.

Mask said he was staying in A rank to keep S rank from being contaminated with weaklings like Atomic Samurai's students.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 17, 2020

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Super Rad posted:

I don't know if ONE is ever going to give Genos a clean win.

He beat everybody but Gouketsu during the tournament arc. Also Machine God G4 (?) that came to get King's battle data.

e: Machine God G5 too, took him out in one shot.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 17, 2020

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
There's always option C, where the scanlator wanted to maintain continuity with the translations of the ONE version, which was the one being edgy or overly literal.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Everyone just firing off super moves against a blank background like a chapter of Bleach up in here.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Hypocrisy posted:

Is that black cube Saitama grabbed in the translated chapter the same as the one Bang was holding in the flashback?

Isn't that a cube of failed monsters Orochi made by crushing everyone who ran away from the surface?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

MorningMoon posted:

I wish i had a box

Sex changes are getting more and more accessible.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Also there's a place some of us are discussing differences between the two mangas and it's in the webcomic thread.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Schwarzwald posted:

I have no idea what part of the story this was.

Do you remember the completely forgettable Saitama / Orochi fight, where it wasn't very stupid and it took several punches before Orochi was defeated? It's been replaced with something way bigger and dumber, which is better.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

skaianDestiny posted:

Like in the Garou vs. Metal Bat fight Murata initially had MB ricochet a sewer cover back at Garou, but ONE said it didn't fit his character so Murata removed it.

Using a baseball bat to strike back a thrown object was wrong?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Man with Hat posted:

What are you guys talking about? How is it somehow mutually exclusive being more powerful because of fighting spirit and two people lifting each other up? Metal Bat gets his individual power from fighting spirit but his individual power works well with Garou's individual power to make a team stronger than its parts.

The problem is less that it's saying that, and more that it's saying that they're vibrating in compatible frequencies, which is dumb.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Wait, if Sweet Mask took Pig God's pants, what will Pig God wear when he beefs back up.

That was his jacket. We won't get to his his God Hog.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Shugojin posted:

a percent of infinity is still infinity

somewhere someone who studied more math than i did might be angry at me for that statement

That's correct. It's possible to have bigger or smaller infinite sets, but you don't get them by multiplying or dividing infinity.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is there a reason no one is using the anime as a reference?

Knowing things is anathema to discussion.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
C'mon, guys, if you want to discuss the opinions of those of us why have read the webcomic, there's an entire thread for that.

It's not like it's being used for the webcomic.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Weissritter posted:

It is still a collaboration between ONE and Murata right? Seems weird that a lot of criticism that I have seen basically lays it all on Murata's end.

I try not to do that, because I don't know either of them. But it's a natural impulse to, when a work goes from solo to collaboration, to blame any changes we don't like on the new guy.

Of course, when you go from being able to draw picture one to having someone to draw picture two....

I can see the temptation to go from an quick fight to a luxurious one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

yum posted:

Half of them are really stretching the label of ninja appearance wise. One of them is literally just a bug eyed dude in a tank top lol

He's combined the precision of ninjutsu with the overwhelming power of a tank top, and you're making fun?

Posters, man.