Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Am I the only one who thinks that Speed of sound sonic is amazing-awesome and I hope he keeps being a recurring antagonist? I just love how far he'll go to have a fight with saitama even though he KNOWS how powerful he is.

I loving love how the realism on Saitama's face keeps changing, absolutely golden.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

This chapter should be hung on my wall so I can look at it when I start thinking I'm not good enough for my field.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Is it safe to start saying that Murata in a few years (maybe even now) is probably going to be the best manga/comics artist in the world? I mean, just stringing his drawings together makes a better OP than half of all the other fully animated ones.

Also, what's the song from? I really want to get a good dose of teenage angst.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

That is from Sum 41, "Still Waiting", I believe.

Aw drat, why do I still have a soft spot for the lovely songs I loved in High School :(

My friend, every so and so a little bit of lovely high school songs is good for the soul, especially when it comes to anime OP's.

quote:

In short, be wary of hyperbole.

Well obviously yeah, I mean there's no way I'd say that murata is better than the myriad of masters out there, but I think his key strength lies in the feeling of motion and action he captures perfectly, the clear crisp lines he uses, his effective use of inking and the way that he blends detail with an accessible look that appeals to manga readers. Definitely my favourite current Shonen manga artist for sure.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 11, 2013

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

God dammit Murata stop being such a lateral thinker when it comes to comics, it's bad enough you're an incredible artist as it is.

Taken from his twitter.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

A lot of the time when you hear mangaka and such interviewed they trot out the old "the most important thing in manga is the heart behind it", so often I was starting to think it was getting a lame cliché that bad artists used to cover up their shortcomings. But when you see stuff that Murata and others put out, and you can feel the effort and love behind what they do it really brings home how true that is.

The thing is about the bad artists is that if they take that 'Heart behind it' seriously then they'd work at being better artists. the difference between them and murata is that murata works day in day out to improve while the bad artists probably dont.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I'm no Murata :(

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

advokat posted:

On the other hand, Great!, by the same guy, is great, and you should read it because come to think of it, it gives me some OPM vibes. Beware of repeated mood whiplash, though.

This is both amazing and depressing. I love this guy's comics so much.

Minus is great if you take it light heartedly. But you're right, that meteor comic was more powerful to me before I knew who that girl really was.

Edit:-

Jeez what is with this guy and bringing both a feeling of hope and sheer nihilistic oblivion?!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 22, 2013

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Reposting for the new page since he's still going:

Murata is streaming right now. He's coloring an illustration of Metal Knight, one of the S class heroes.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nebu-kuro1

when you look at that stream, you realize exactly what murata was talking about in his comics, he's not some sort of god-given speed wizard who can pump out amazing poo poo with a flick of his finger, no, he's very deliberate paced and details focused in his drawings, he knows exactly what he's doing and he's doing it as quickly (or not) as you'd expect of a professional artist who's trained day in day out.

Loving it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Does anyone know what kind of markers he's using to color his pages? I'd love to start experimenting with them after seeing those pages, I'm kind of new to coloring so I wouldn't know what kind of marker he's using so blend-friendly like those pages are.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Good_Haro posted:

He uses Copic Sketch markers. They're alcohol based brush-tip markers. They're pretty pricy, but I think most art-supply/craft stores in the states carry them now (I know I've seen them at Michaels before even). I think there are some other brands of similar style, alcohol-based markers that are less expensive though. He uses either watercolor or gauche on top of the marker work too. It's also worth noting that he doesn't color directly on the inked pages, but copies of them. It's sort of like 'flattening' the line art. I think he mentioned exactly what kind of paper he was using at one point during the stream, as I recall it was just some kind of heavy copy paper, rather than anything specifically geared toward markers. There was a lot of talk in the chat about the materials he uses, but basically it's all 'normal' stuff you could get at any stationary store in Japan.

Jeez, you weren't kidding, a 72 piece set costs upwards of 360 dollars. Haha, gently caress getting a PS4 then.

Thanks so much for the info! I think I'll start with some basic colors and a skin tone set, and work my way up from there. I'm honestly surprised people have figured out that much from his stream, given how it's in Japanese and it's really rare when he says anything.

I got to say though, god drat this last chapter. it's too amazing.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

passed by the mom and pop store and bought me a starter kit of greys 'cause those things are expensive, but holy moly is it worth every penny.

Here's my first attempt at using them on a quick sketch, I'm posting it here because it's fanart of one-punch man so it's relevant:-

Soon my dreams of moving to japan and becoming a Mangaka will be complete. Thank you, Murata.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

This chapter is exactly why Speed of Sound Sonic is currently my favorite manga character. so badass.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Am I the only one who got Junji Ito vibes from the old dude?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

blastron posted:

It fell victim to translation quandaries, unfortunately. The dude's name is a play on words in Japanese that doesn't translate well into English. When the English word "prisoner" is written out in Katakana, it's spelled "purisonaa". If you take "puri-puri", the onomatopoeia for being in a huff, and stick it on the front, you get the guy's name, "Puri-Puri Purisonaa". If you drag that back to English, you can either translate the onomatopoeia (where you'll get something like "Huffy Prisoner") or keep the syllable duplication (where you'll get "Pri-pri Prisoner"), but not both.

holy moly translation sounds like a nightmare of a job.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

hahaha I love the fact that there's a Tank Top for every class hahahaha. the hero names are pretty dope. I wonder who is it that's at #1 S-class?! also cant wait to see what watchdog man and zombie man are like.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

so there's not going to be any more scanlation site updates? All of it's been licensing locked up? :(

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

Disappointed Saitama is loving scary, that is the face of someone you don't want to piss off :stare:

The look of sheer contempt and disappointment Saitama has on his face is incredibly unnerving and is one of the scariest panels I've seen in a long time.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Holy moly, Sweet Face Handsome Mask is one rotten to the core mother fucker.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

http://tonarinoyj.jp/manga/onepanman/49/

It's time.

That will be all.

ドッドッドッドッドッドッドッドッドッドッドッドッドッドッドッドッドッドッドッ:allears:

Oh my god that satisfied smile as he heads home to play his dating sim

Oh my god, dont tell me his only superpower is Looking incredibly bad rear end and have a menacing aura that makes bad guys cower into submission?!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I'm kinda disappointed that KING is just a normal everyday coward with an accidental heroic reputation I was kinda hoping to see some cooler KING ENGINE STARTING type stuff.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

it took him three weeks to make just nine pages? that's a real let down. those pages weren't impressively made compared to the other short updates we've had before.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

So by holding the meeting with the underworld, the Hero Association has just accelerated the threat, assuming that this Garou guy is part of the 'god-level' threat. Interesting twist..

where is that even insinuated? has there been any updates beyond chapter 39.2?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Wait a second.

Wasn't the fight between Sonic and Genos right in his apartment building and 20 minutes BEFORE Fubuki tried to shake down Saitama? where's the resulting chaos and destruction that should've happened in between?!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

God I love speed of sound sonic, he's so menacing and cool but so, so underpowered compared to the target of his ire, I love how he keeps coming back and upping the stakes.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Aw man, SSS is a cool character it would be a huge shame to see him gibbed this soon :(

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I really hope they go down the route of making the episodes short like 11 minutes long each, because there's no loving way they'll do the animation justice unless it's tightly packed, and it would fit the comics much better.

They'd also be goddamn criminals if they don't make this French OPM anime theme song as the official OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV51TIs-Izw

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

wasn't there supposed to be a new chapter out on the 5th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

the Anime looks super awesome now that it's formally released in HD. Definitely does muratas art justice bigtime, stunning animation!