Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I’ll be interested to see how they pace this season. Assuming they end with Saitama vs Oorochi, 75% of the season will be after the start of the hero raid on the Monster Association.

First episode will probably be the dine and dash, and the limiter scene from the trailer. Then we’ll have Garou rescuing Tareo, and going up against Rover and Oorochi. Hot Pot and the hero strategy meeting.

In the raid we’ll get the opening surface battle, Flashy Flash vs the ninjas, Child Emperor vs Phoenix Man, Zombie Man vs the Vampire, Sweet Mask vs Do-S, the sword disciples rescuing the Mercs, and then introducing all the S-Class/Cadre matchups that will lead into the climax. A lot of focus on characters who have yet to be explored in the anime so far. Pretty minimal Saitama, Genos, King, Fubuki, Bang, Garou.

Cliff hanger for season 4 may either be the reveal of Oorochi as the sacrifice to God, or that Psychos was controlling Gyoro Gyoro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Raw update today is just a single image of Saitama with a note from ONE.

Looks like we're getting a bit of a hiatus and redraws for the last 8 chapters

The Saitama image is pretty though...

https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/2550689798289615231

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Tweets by Murata suggests we’ll get another redraw next week.

He also mentioned that the new versions will be very different, and he’s committed to drawing a “heavenly” battle

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Most redraws don't change the plot appreciably.

Off the top of my head (from when I started reading):
- Phoenix Man survives; costume monster lore introduced
- Sweet Mask doesn't kill the Mercs and they have a little story arc with the Sword disciples
- Oorochi provides more God lore; still one-punched
- Saitama and Garou don't sit down to chat (fight would have probably played out similarly anyway)
- Blast and Sitch are aware of Saitama's strength (probably won't tell anyone else)

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Bucswabe posted:

Most redraws don't change the plot appreciably.

Off the top of my head (from when I started reading):
- Phoenix Man survives; costume monster lore introduced
- Sweet Mask doesn't kill the Mercs and they have a little story arc with the Sword disciples
- Oorochi provides more God lore; still one-punched
- Saitama and Garou don't sit down to chat (fight would have probably played out similarly anyway)
- Blast and Sitch are aware of Saitama's strength (probably won't tell anyone else)

I think Boros kicking Saitama to the moon was a redraw. Everything else is just Murata polishing the art for the volume release.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in one version, phoenix man had his costume destroyed which left him a depowered human. it was a pretty good gag, but it doesn't really fit with how monsterization works anywhere else.

I hope he wasn't considered "human" at that point, for what happens next (Child Emperor stomps his groin with sawblade boots)

https://cubari.moe/read/gist/Z2lzdC9mdW5reWhpcHBvL2RkMTlkNjU3NjhjOGJlMTk3MTFmZTllMjAwNDVkOGY1L3Jhdy9vcG0tc2NyYXBwZWQuanNvbg/100-/19/

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
The intro to the series suggests that Saitama's arc is to find a battle to fill his spirit once again. But pretty much everything since then is more about him finding his own humanity through "saving" other characters (first Genos, then King, then Fubuki, Garou, Tatsumaki and now Flashy Flash).

He continues to make gradual progress (accepting a roommate, tolerating social events, remembering some names, befriending monsters) and the scene on I.O. basically put to bed the idea that he will ever be made "whole" through combat.

I think he's friends with King primarily because King is the first person to give him a real thrill in a long time (video game competition)

Bucswabe fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 22, 2024

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
A character telling Saitama that they have a story to tell is almost always a trigger warning for an overly-long, self-obsessed, ego-driven diatribe for how great/victimized they are. From both Heroes and Monsters.

Pretty much every character he meets has a massive ego, until Saitama humbles them

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
In the now retconned new chapters, was it a continuity error that Blast had been (implied) shown recovering the black cube at the ninja village, and somehow Empty Void also has it?

I wonder if this might be the main reason ONE is redoing all of it...

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I'm not very plugged into the world of Hollywood reporting, so I don't know how much confidence to have in this, but I came across a rumour that Dan Harmon has been recruited to rewrite the OPM live action movie script

https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbook.com/anime/amp/news/one-punch-man-movie-dan-harmon-writers/

If it turns out to be true, this would definitely elevate my expectations from "rock-bottom", since I can at least count on Harmon to emphasize character and story over shallow spectacle.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I genuinely had no idea Harmon was so hated. I guess I'm behind the zeitgeist...

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Yeah, I've had the expectation that it will be a disaster.

The worst thing they could do is to turn it into humourless action shlock.

If the creative teams are actual fans and want to make a faithful adaptation it COULD potentially be ok.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

El Jebus posted:

I hope the live action goes with the idea of two different actors for Saitama. That is all I need for it to be a success.

I would love this. 99% of the time he's just some plain-looking, skinny bald guy, and then in a crucial moment you get some elite athlete to stand in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
OPM is at its best when all the other characters/situations are taking themselves absolutely serious, and then Saitama just waltzes in and shatters it. I think a movie could capture that spirit.

If I were writing the script, I would end this movie at the Deep Sea King fight since it offers a character arc, and truly does let Saitama win in one punch.

If they skip straight to Boros and have an "epic battle" I think it will ruin the entire premise.