Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
Welp, you've convinced me. Incredible action, comedy that's actually funny, an artist who knows how to cater to my love of destroyed cityscapes. I don't think I could ask for something better than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Liar posted:

Also I can't be the only one who thinks Sonic is female, right?

See a lot of "getting hit in the balls" jokes with girls, do you?

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Death Bot posted:

It looks like soft focus on a camera, could be some digital post stuff, or maybe he's just good enough to draw blurry poo poo.

I'd believe post drawing digital effect because if you look, you can see what look like lens flares around some of the lights. That said, if you look at the back parts, I'm looking underneath the exclamation points where those little squares are on that whatever it is that's sticking out, you can see little after effects and faded out version of those squares so it looks like that part is rumbling or shaking. If that isn't a post drawing effect, then maybe none of it is, in which case goddamn.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Liar posted:

Speaking of which, I don't know what I'd like more at this point; him meeting someone who's also insanely powerful because they did some inane exercise like using a Wii fit game, or just continuing to one-shot basically everything in existence.

I think I definitely prefer him one-shotting everything because what grabs my attention so much from the writing is that it explores Saitama, who in a lot of other things would either be a lovely self insert or maybe a half baked parody, as a character. If he started fighting people who were as strong as him, it'd probably just turn into shonen fluff. The art would still be great and the action would still hold me as a reader, but I'd just blow through the non-fighting parts because I wouldn't care.

To that end, I'd actually be ok with his powers never getting a proper explanation. I'd be ok with them just making half-hearted teasing in the vein of the head of the Super Hero Registry saying "it's like the power of God resides in Saitama." Now, that part may later turn out to be for real, but I'd be ok with it just being a one off and us never actually learning if there's more to him than the training regiment or not. So far, it's not what matters to me.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Something I noticed is that there's a definite gulf between Saitama and Genos. Where Genos and most of the villains thus far take the world ultra seriously and believe themselves to be pinnacles of their particular areas, Saitama is just this guy who had a dream and did what he thought would help him reach it.

This is my favorite dynamic in the whole thing. My favorite jokes in the story so far, Genos's :words: backstory and when he goes all Batman pose while Saitama just stares vacantly at him, have come out of that.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Saitama just hanging out in the lower right corner of the second one is amazing. :haw:

There's a 50% off sale on 5 lb bags of cooking rice on the other side of the street.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

So was this chapter hinting that Saitama's strength might be due to the same thing that's causing Z-City to spit out so many monsters? Hope not, I love that part about him.

It's ok if there's speculation, especially if it's increasingly ridiculous like if next arc they reveal that Saitama grew up near a radioactive landfill or something. I just don't want anything definitive.

I really thought that guy with the mustache was going to be evil. He and Golden Ball seem to be in the heroes for ladder climbing, so maybe he'll end up being later. And I'm also looking forward to more Watchdog. I hope that wasn't just a one-off.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

AgentHaiTo posted:

Somehow I want Watchdog and Onepunchman to be friends, like Watchdog is the Batman for Onepunchman.

I will accept this only if all his gadgets are based around chew toys.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Autumncomet posted:

Speaking of translating One-Punch Man, guess what the new series in Weekly Shonen Jump is? :getin:

I was just coming here to say that. It's going to be part of SJ Alpha, so it'll be online through a Viz subsciption.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

We'll know if we start seeing a new bald guy with glasses hanging around.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

I hope he shows up again in the future as Two Punch Man.

Right. Then the two will have a combination sequence where they become One-Twopunch Man. Psychic superpowers, mutations, horrible monstrosities from beyond time are no match for perfected fundamentals.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

That's because in between me reading and you posting Murata added in about 10 double page spreads that apparently didn't make it into the first version of the chapter through some sort of mistake. :v: For reference, everything in between the double page shot of the apartment and Genos getting the phone call wasn't there when I read it.

That happened to me too. But now that I know:

Caeruleas posted:

Another gif-worthy chapter.

I've never made a .gif from stringing together images, but I gave it a shot.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 2, 2013

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Murata posted this on his Twitter.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Wait, it said she was B class? I thought she was A and had lackeys that were all B because she'd need lackeys that were decidedly weaker than her.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Boon has put up his on Batoto now, so enjoy a version not swimming in watermarks.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Bang calling Tank Top Black Hole "Young one with the athletic undershirt" got me. I imagine him saying it like an ancient master reciting koans and it's so funny.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

That makes me wonder. Was that guy asked to join the Miss Blizzard group after he'd become B rank or before? Tank Top Black Hole tried to frame Saitama for doing it, so I wonder if lower rank heroes can team up with higher rank heroes to get easy points to climb the ladder.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Maybe we'll finally get to see his vacuum attachment.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Everything between is just slow pan of every character that's appeared so far.

Chapter after that will be one page with the final boss blowing up. The End.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

The 29 raws are out. He wasn't kidding short. It's 9 pages if you count the last 2 spread as two pages. But, man, the design of the the undersea emperor is something.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

the news doesn't agree with his assessment on the threat level of the fishmonsters.

He comes off as the kinda guy who became a hero because he wanted everyone to love him as a celebrity hero, so exaggerating, even just to himself, the threat he's facing to a disaster that will destroy all humanity is probably just an extension of that. He's like the opposite of Saitama.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

When the TV report that clued Saitama and Genos into the problem, it described the disaster level as "Tiger." According to Genos's description of disaster levels, "Tiger: Threat to an unspecified large number of human lives."

When Stinger finished off the last four enemies, he estimated that their total threat would be "God" level, "Threat to humanity." I'm not saying he's not super tough, one of the ones he took out was listed as "Tiger" on it's own and he took down ten by himself while getting a roughed up face. I'm just saying he's prone to exaggerating.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

^Edit: Ah, you got me.

What the hell is "Allbackman." I thought I was reading the kana wrong until I saw it written on his jacket. I have to know what power or skill lends itself to that name.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

[spoiler]All-back is the Japanese name for a type of hairstyle where the hair is slicked back away from the forehead, usually with some sorta hair gel or spray to keep it that way. It's named that way because, you know. All your hair is going back.

I figured it would be something like that, a cultural or fashion thing going over my head. Or a pun.

But man is this the chapter for awesome hero names. I don't know if I want these guys specifically to keep appearing or if I just want there to be a constant flow of guys named like that. Maybe both.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Zorak posted:

OK at this point I think we need a separate thread for the ONE version. Someone make one.

You got it.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

Not "a" year. He had trained for three years. This is important.

I think there was something about eating a banana every day too. Oh, and making sure to brush your teeth, though that was a bonus chapter.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

To be fair, in most manga, this would be a misdirection that leads to some stupid bullshit where Saitama is the son of Piccolo destined to fulfill some ancient prophecy we found out about ten minutes ago. This is not most manga.

Just being a little more honest. On the positive side, that might explain why his power correlates with baldness.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Shugojin posted:

I kinda lost it at NOTE: THIS ISN'T TRUE. v:shobon:v

Well, I think it's trying to tie into the later theme of heroes are not necessarily good people. They just fight people effectively publicized as bad people and/or that are more upfront about their lovely intentions for others. Then mix that with "prison rape isn't really bad because it only happens to bad people," a hosed up but very real mentality some people have. I'm willing to believe that's the attempted point, make the audience laugh at something hosed up then point out in no uncertain terms how hosed up what they just laughed at actually is, but it's not making me feel any better about it. Maybe the follow through of "this is hosed up and so are you for laughing" isn't strong enough. I dunno.

onepixeljumpman fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 11, 2013

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Yeah, you're right. I'm over thinking it probably because we accidentally brushed up against a serious topic.

That aside, Saitama's secret motivation is god drat beautiful.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

We might be saved if we can convince him that titans are delicious.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Bisse posted:

The original meaning is sacred! You would dare change a "world of Demons" into a mere "world of Evil"?

Well, a "world of evil" could have anyone doing the evil. "World of Demons" is a lot more specific about there being demons. You need the original Japanese to really understand the complexity of that sentence. :fap: :japan:

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

:sigh: right right let me scrub them from existing, i'm just jonesing for the next issue to be released is all.

If I saw the Tonarinoyj tweet right, it was delayed to the 19th for some reason.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

All the warm feelings were had in this chapter. :3:

No kidding. The meeting at the ramen stand, too, but that "Thank you" letter put a stupid grin on my face for like 5 minutes. Especially since it looks like it was probably written by a little kid.

international owl day posted:

Another OC chapter from Murata with Fubuki in it, I get the feeling that Fubuki is Murata's favorite character. She is totally cool after all.:cool:

Pretty sure it's just talking about how her personal faction has an uncomfortable stranglehold over B Rank since she's with all those suit guys.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Liar posted:

I'll laugh at him when he goes bald.

I won't. If this makes him go bald, it's a sign he'll be able to punch a building in half. By looking at it hard enough.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

nerdz posted:

Isn't licenseless rider that dude from fubuki's faction?

That guy is an original from the Murata redraw version, and Licenseless Rider was around before that guy showed up.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The most :3: chapter. We need a Licenless Rider Spinoff

I don't know if he could get a full on spin-off, but I could see tankoban extras that are PSAs starring him. Like, he rescues kittens from trees before telling neighborhood kids not to smoke, or teaching people the importance of road safety.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Gyges posted:

Wasn't the written part an essay on heroism? Probably don't get high marks for Saitama's laid back reasoning.

"I can't give this high marks. He talks about punching bad guys fine, but he doesn't mention product placement once."

Genos did perfect, but he may have just written his whole backstory, and the association was like, "People are suckers for this kind of poo poo. S-rank."

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

Did the Metal knight drone stick around? I mean, I know that he didn't care if it was destroyed, but it'd probably be prudent to attempt escape anyway, even just to save the hardware cost.

Yeah. Pretty sure he looked at the non-destroyed meteor and went, "Well, that didn't work," and flew away, though Genos got on his case a bit.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Liar posted:

Maybe after he beats a monster down he robs eats them.

We have seen that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

Captain Quack posted:

He problaby wrote:
"Too many long questions! Make one question with ten words at most!"

Saitama's Ideal Test:

Mark your answer with a checkmark

Question 1: Do you want to be a hero?

YES

NO