Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

sharktamer posted:

New episode reminded me about some of the A class heroes, now I'm thinking do any of them actually have superpowers or is that limited to S class? The only one I can think of is Fubuki, the others just seem to be limited to use of equipment and general above average strength.

Some of the A-Class heroes use straight up magic but it's definitely the minority and it isn't really a factor in their combat abilities much. Spring Mustachio summons his sword from a handkerchief and his Tomboy Thrust defies logic, and Magic Trick Man presumably does Magic Tricks but we haven't seen him use them ever. Otherwise, the A-Class is just chock full of dudes who are pretty competent in their own right but also have some kind of gimmick like gunpowder shoes or shape-memory bullets to give them a leg up on everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Parrotine posted:

Wait, hold on, King lost to the Blizzard group?

What panel did this happen in? I need sources!

No, Saitama lost to the Blizzard group. King defeated all of them to save his hide. It happens on this page, which was posted on the previous page of this thread:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Oh, that side chapter also made me wonder how much heroes make.

Do you get a set salary or is it based on accomplishments or is it both?

Fubuki's group seems pretty hard-up for cash despite being made up of B Rank Heroes. That chapter with the glasses dude has them dividing up the credit and then bullying glasses to keep his name off the report so they can get more credit. Glasses also relies on sales like Saitama.

Then the other Fubuki chapter has them working part-time jobs to afford a card while Fubuki just goes out and captures a bunch of criminals for their bounty.

It's even more confusing cause B Rank Heroes are free from their weekly quotas, which would imply they get some sort of salary?

I think they get a low salary + commissions payment for work done well. Going up in rank comes with cash prizes, basically, which is a part of why people are so invested in the numbers. It's been specifically stated S-Class is significantly more well compensated than any of the other hero classes, but I don't think any other specifics have been said.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Mordaedil posted:

Personally I hope King takes it on himself to train at some point and become the hero everyone believes him to be. He is like my favorite character and I can only feel sadness at the idea that anime only people will only get a small taste of the power that is the King Engine.

At least King will be the first thing we come back to in the inevitable Season 2, whenever that finally happens.

When it does I really hope they take the time to do more One Punch Man side stories. Police story is an absolute must, but I also really want the tale of his time with a tooth-ache and the time he punched his way out of a monster shelter because they didn't have a bathroom to be animated.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 25, 2015

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Going off of how the rest of the show has been paced, here's my guess for the rest of the episodes:

Ep 9: Sea King vs Genos, Rider shows up, commercial break at Saitama catching Rider and telling him he had a nice fight. Come back to Saitama one punching Sea King, shifting the credit from himself to everyone before him, and then the episode will end with Saitama and Rider getting ramen in the shop, roll credits.

Ep 10: Start with Genos and Saitama visiting Bang's dojo, Bang trying to recruit them, and then they all get summoned to the S-Class meeting. Most of the episode is the meeting, then the Sky King shows up, we get a minute of them showing off and looking like a threat, episode ends with them getting shot out of the sky and a dramatic shot of the spaceship appearing.

Ep 11: Most of the Boros Arc. Saitama infiltration, S-Class vs. Melzalgald, Saitama starts the fight with Boros. No idea where the cut-off will be but there is too much here to squeeze into one episode, because...

Ep 12: End of Boros Arc, and then all the Boros Aftermath. Sweet Mask killing aliens, Metal Bat picking a fight with him, then Metal Knight rebuilding City A in 7 days, so the anime will end with the shot of the new Hero Association HQ and the eventual season 2 can start with a blank slate and no hanging threads to resolve.

The King Arc is also especially good for picking up the next season with because with how the chapter is written they could do a really great gag setting up the introduction for Saitama, and then fake-out to King instead. It also has a cool Genos fight and a moment for Saitama to establish how strong he really is by saving King, and it also has a great chance to do some recapping of Season 1 with King's outburst of all the times he got the credit for Saitama's work. It's just too good of a starting point for them to possibly try to squeeze it in to the end of the season here, not when Boros is such a good stopping point.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Mordaedil posted:

Metal Knight uses the same model android he used to blow up the asteroid. A Murata slip-up or intended?

It has to be intentional. After all, that android DID survive the meteor incident, thanks to Saitama's efforts, and the last thing Bofoy said about it was that he needed to test stronger missiles. There's no reason why he wouldn't re-use the same missile platform android since it's still intact.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Clarste posted:

I assumed the prophecy was about Boros and was pretty much irrelevant. It was just another way of hyping him up as a world-threatening being before he gets punched.

Yeah, this is what I got out of it too. Especially since Boros had made a big point about only being here because of a different prophecy. The fact Saitama resolved the prophecy so easily and before anyone else had seen what it was about is the big joke of it all, and the fact Shichi still takes the prophecy seriously even after the fact doesn't mean we, the audience, should take stock in that prophecy anymore.

It's possible it could still be talking about something else but it doesn't really matter either way. It was probably about Boros, possibly about something that still hasn't come yet, but no matter how it shakes out, the fact is the prophecy is way too vague to be relevant at all anymore. Even if it still hasn't come to pass yet, what can anyone even do about it? What impact or measure could it have on the story anymore? Basically,

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Brownieftw posted:

True. I myself figured it should have been faster, considering the engine part of it.

Well, it isn't roaring yet. In the one scene where he and Tatsumaki were talking about how to approach the ship, his engine doubled in speed. I'm hopeful it'll be even faster and less obviously a heartbeat when he's in personal danger.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yeah, Common Rider is sitting on C Rank 1 because he doesn't think he is strong enough to cut it in B-Class, so he stays where he is. He doesn't even attempt to get in anyone's way and just lets people move on to B-Class when they rank up past him. No one else wants to be in C-Class, so he ends up sticking around at rank 1 for basically forever.

Fubuki remains at B Rank 1 because, while she is strong enough to get a high rank in A, she couldn't get Rank 1 because Sweet Mask holds it. So she remains at B-Rank 1 because she likes the power being at rank 1 gives you. She doesn't directly stop anyone from ranking up to Class A, but she also attempts to recruit anyone promising in B-Class to her group, and anyone she's recruited basically gets their rank frozen to B-Class by virtue of the entire group dividing credit between themselves. So to get past her to A-Class, you need to avoid joining her group, but also survive her attempt to rookie-crush you for avoiding joining her group. She's basically running a hero mafia.

Sweet Mask holds A Rank 1 because he doesn't want anyone else to go to S-Class unless they look good. If you can't put on a pretty face for society, you're not worthy of representing the hero association. He could move up to S-Class at any time but then he'd have to just let any old A-Class Rank 1 Hero move up to S-Class and that just would NOT do. So he keeps his seat and is basically a giant wall barring anyone else from moving up to S-Class.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Metal Bat rules so hard. I think my favorite bit from this whole thing was when he smashed the ground and all the cars in the parking lot across the street bounced up a few inches. What an incredible bad-rear end.

I feel like even if he wins here, Metal Bat's going to be in the hospital for a couple weeks after all of this. Garou mentioned a bunch of his bones are broken and he's lost a lot of blood. While his fighting spirit is more than enough to keep him on his feet right now, he won't STAY on his feet as soon as there isn't something to fight in front of him and his fighting spirit fades.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Brainamp posted:

Them extending the fight with the telekinetic squid (not even gonna try spelling his name) was pretty great. Sorta makes up for the scene with tanktop master getting overshadowed by Tatsumaki not appearing.

That scene was after Tatsumaki threw back the bullets so we might still get that scene yet.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

TheWyrmDude posted:

There's what, Fubiki, Tatsumaki, and Lily from the Blizzard Group? I thought I saw another one, but I think that was just in the tryouts episode.

Yeah, that's it. I love this series but it could really use some more lady heroes. I think that's basically my only complaint about it, too, aside from "Pri-Pri-Prisoner could be less gross."

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

This is how the Garou arc will end.

http://bbs2.ruliweb.daum.net/gaia/do/ruliweb/family/217/read?articleId=28162132&bbsId=G005&itemId=64

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THE BOROS ARC.

It's in Korean but you don't actually need to know the language to understand the parody.

This might be the best OPM fan-comic ever made.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

AnonSpore posted:

From all his dialogue he'd never fought at that level before though. How would he know?

Because he's destroyed planets before, he said it in the previous episode.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Chapter 53. It'll feel like you're missing stuff but you aren't - it legitimately jumps right from Garou taking out Tanktop Master to "I have now defeated 20 heroes at A Class and above." There is a good reason Murata is adding more to the Hero Hunt.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I know I've been using the OPM anime's popularity as an excuse to tell more people about Mob Psycho 100.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

EmmyOk posted:

Fubuki is the least interesting of the main ensemble we have seen imo and as such I am deeply suspicious of anyone who thinks she is dah best garlllllllllo

Fubuki is mainly 'best girl' by the process of this manga only having two girls in it, and Tornado is a major jerk.

But even when they're the only two in the running, Tornado is the better character because Fubuki's entire character is based on her relationship with Tornado.

It's honestly my only complaint with ONE's works, there need to be more cool girls in these stories.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Absolutely. Like, every girl who is actually in his stories is really really good. Fubuki and Tatsumaki have a really involved and personal conflict, Tsuchi (Claw punch girl) is so cool and such a good role model, Tome is hilarious and gloomy, Mezato is driven and clever. They're really good characters who all have their own things going on.

It's just, there's only around 1 female character for every 12 or so male characters and I wish that ratio was less skewed.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
It's me, I'm the nerd who is still upset the translators didn't notice his name is a direct parallel to Speed of Sound Sonic. His name should be Speed of Light Flash, darn it!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I'm guessing Genos keeps ranking up because he probably kills a bunch of monsters off-screen, mixed with the fact that even though he loses a lot, he always shows up. He's extremely dependable, and that counts for a lot. Also I think he got primary kill-credit for both the Sea King and the Meteor, since he was the last non-Saitama hero to try to stop both.

It's weird that Metal Bat is so low, though, because he also seems extremely dependable. That guy will do whatever job the association wants, and while he'll gripe the whole time, he'll be there and get it done.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
He has not yet shown up during this arc at all, no. He probably will at some point, but as of this moment, we haven't seen him since he helped kill that regenerating monster Boros dropped on A City to clean up.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

no, cool guys occasionally win fights

Common Rider is a cool guy :colbert:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I can't believe Speed of Sound Sonic cooked the monster cell. This chapter is incredible.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yep. This is finally back to the webcomic's events - everything between Garou crushing the tanktoppers and Garou deflecting bullets was new to the Murata redraw.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Billzasilver posted:

This looks way too good to be regular ONE

The last time we got behind the scene sketches, ONE literally drew stick figures standing on plain buildings and the assistants drew all the details. Of course, he can definitely draw this nicely, but he must be showing off on this particular chapter.

I'm pretty sure that's just how drawing a chapter of manga every week for 5+ years works. You start to get better at it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, there’s still that one panel he drew Tastumaki seriously in that looked better than the Muruta version even way back.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Reinanigans posted:

The gently caress does tryhards even mean in this context?! :psyduck:

Same thing it's always meant - "someone who cares about something more than I, the cool detached normal person, does."

Its an insult that says more about the user than the insulted.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Shindragon posted:

It might be the angle and it's cropped but Garou's hair looks way too short.

edit: Looking at that guys VA list. oh neat he was Android 16, Seto Kaiba and Heero Yuy

His hair's been changing shape throughout the manga. It started off much like that promo picture, you're just used to seeing it where it is now in the manga, where Garou's hair is practically a fireball in motion.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Shining Flash is pretty good, I like that a lot too. I'm surprised I hadn't heard it before.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
What's really funny is how it keeps working

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

RareAcumen posted:

Flashy/Lightspeed Flash felt less redundant compared to other names but fair enough.

I mean, this is why I've never liked Flashy Flash as a translation, because using the same word twice ruins the impact of the theme naming. Hellfire Inferno, Hurricane Gale, and Speed of Sound Sonic all say the same thing twice - Lightspeed Flash fits the theme naming so perfectly that I'm always a little disappointed its not his English name.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I've been waiting for Murata to get to this fight for literal years now. Finally, finally, Garou is breaking his limiter.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Wow that's a massive change, and honestly an outright improvement to the old version? Much quicker fight, the mercs don't die thanks to Iaian and Bushi-Drill's help, and Sweet Mask remains extremely brutal and that eye injury thing is both terrifying and awesome.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I mean if the manga caught up to the webcomic, then the obvious thing would be for ONE and Murata to just... work together on the manga from that point on. They're already doing this anyway, ONE storyboards a lot of the new stuff before Murata draws it, it'd just be with actual new content instead of additions to old content.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Actual list of changes:

Baquma (elephant man) got completely redesigned. This new design kinda rules, the old design was just... a big elephant.
The Maiko/Catfish drama wasn't there before. They also get away now. Some of the other elemental monsters got redesigned, most notably the venom user now has big baps and the ice user is a weird little four legged dude.
Puri's new techniques got re-drawn better; angel crawl's description for how he used vibration to swim through concrete was cut.
Puri's monsterized boyfriends didn't mention the rapist thing. As mentioned, they may be trying to just remove that part of his character.

Everything else is unchanged, as far as I could tell. The events with the boyfriends and Nyan all play out exactly the same.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

RareAcumen posted:

Cue 8 more pages of people talking about the fireworks factory, while I settle in and wait for the redraw to the Lightning Max and Sea King fight to make him look less outmatched though he still loses the battle ultimately.

We've been at the fireworks factory for a few chapters now, tbh

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

pik_d posted:

So do we think God was mad that Saitama messed up his... Moon? Pedestal? House?

Yeah as spooky and cool as that scene was, the whole time my eyes were drawn to the big crater Saitama made. Like, our boy did that. You're not that scary compared to him, God.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Wow the official translation on that chapter is just kind of... bad. It feels rare that the unofficial one has so much more impact and clarity in its dialogue.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
He got to draw Flashy Flash like a sexy model, that probably helped Murata restrain himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
yeah I'm pretty sure Darkshine stayed down not because Gold Sperm actually hurt him, but because he was mentally broken and can't get up. Same as when he folded under pressure against Garou, but now he has awful acid burns as a good excuse to lie down.