Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I believe in Watchdogman.

Also, Pig God is horrifying. Lives up to his name though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kuvo posted:

ya i was hoping they would keep the "defeats hard foes offcamera" gag going

That was entertaining, but with Garou targeting him it wouldn't have worked without the same happening to Garou or something, and all this seems meant to build him up, so that'd have been a problem too. Alternatively he just beats Watchdogman swiftly, but that's not satisfying either.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Alternatively: the S Ranks know about Watch dog man being a dog with a mask, and just don't care

Honestly, given Pig God eating the snake girl shocking Child Emperor, and things like even the other S-Rank heroes not knowing much about Blast and wanting to see him or something, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually don't know much of anything about each other. A lot of them are egomaniacs, really focused on their own issues, and/or otherwise kind of uncaring about most things that don't directly concern them, including each other, after all.

Which really only raises the possibility that he's actually just a dog and no one noticed despite it being super-obvious.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So which S rankers haven't been given time in the spotlight this arc? Some, (like Metal Bat) got more focus than others but I feel like most of them had some focus and got to show off a little of their powers.

Blast.

Also, Zombieman and Superalloy Darkshine, I think. I don't remember seeing them yet, at least. Also don't remember seeing Pri-Pri-Prisoner, but I'm assuming he had some minor moment I'm forgetting since he's been around and stuff.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xarbala posted:

Pri-Pri-Prisoner was one of the heroes trying to hold the line against Sea King.

Right, but we're talking about this arc specifically. I know he's been around before, which why I'm assuming that he's probably shown up again; he's been a recurring character, so him not having at least a small appearance during a series of showing off what the big characters are doing would be weird.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mystic Mongol posted:

Thing is, Common Rider's very useful to the hero association right where he is now.

A hero can only go up in letter grade (apparently) by being top of his class. Right now, the semi-permanent C-1 hero is Common Rider, which means if you want to be promoted to B rank, you have to surpass him.

No one, absolutely no one is more heroic or has more justice in their heart that Common Rider. This means you can't make it to the B class by trying hard or being a swell guy, you have to have genuine strength. Not just a little--enough to make up for the degree by which you fall short of the heroic ideal. Because Common Rider's squatting at the top of C class, everyone in B class can theoretically be trusted to fight monsters and outperform the police.

The other top rank holders are similar... there are only two ways to get promoted past the Blizzard group. You can prove that you can suppress your pride and work as part of a larger heroic organization to get the blizzard group's support and be let past, or you can be comically stronger that Fubuki, which is... rare. So everyone in A class either can work as part of a heroic team in a large organization without making waves, or is so strong they don't need to. And you can't be promoted to S class because Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask has opinions. Opinions about heroism.

The class system breaks down super hard if it weren't for these three heroes squatting at their respective power levels, helping the Hero Organization sort out the talent from the ambitious weirdos in a costume their mom made.

Yeah, now that you mention it, the people at the top of each rank get to choose to advance if they want, right? So basically if there weren't the squatters, someone at the top of a rank could just choose to be moved up, then the next person could do the same, etc. That's kind of a dumb system. I mean, it's working, but only because very particular circumstances.

Then again the rankings themselves are kind of dumb and are there to make heroes compete, which seems like a good way to create, well, the hostility that currently exists between heroes and such.

Basically the Hero Association sucks and seems to mostly work because of the heroes in it rather than the organization's own merits.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kild posted:

He has blood on his claws and he says he killed people. And he still gets hit presumably full force by a crab monster.

I thought the black on his claws was marker, from him trying to rub the fake nipples off.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EzEight posted:

Who watches the Watchdogman?

Everyone. People love him, kids especially. He's super-popular.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watchdogman's secret technique: Shake.

That was amazing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On that topic and the earlier one about rankings, I figure that Watchdog Man's where he is (S-12) because, while he's absurdly strong and looks after what's considered the most dangerous area, he only looks after that area. Regardless of his strength, he basically keeps one area on lockdown instead of going around to other places like how Tatsumaki will be basically anywhere she needs, so while he's absurdly strong (he may well have crushed the Monster Association invasion of Q-City mostly on his own) he's not perceived as doing as much as some others. Heck, his effectiveness might be part of that; from what we've seen he might even be stronger than some of those above him and deal with more monsters than many heroes elsewhere due to Q-City's inherent dangerousness, but at this point the association just goes "yeah, Watchdog Man's still keeping Q-City safe, like usual," and pays more attention to more interesting things.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
He was also the first one to pilot his Zord, basically taking it for a joyride, so yeah, that's him piloting the robot. It's just a bit of an odd pose to look at without seeing the thing he's driving and all.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blockhouse posted:

the joke is all the ninjas have a japanese title and english name that both mean the same thing

lightspeed flash doesn't fit that

flashy flash does

"Speed of Light/Lightspeed Flash" fit that just as well as "Speed of Sound Sonic" does, though. "Sonic" doesn't literally mean the speed of sound, it just means "of or relating to sound".

Heck, "Flashy Flash" arguably fits your explanation here less.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 23, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Huzzah! posted:

How could the single punch man resort to a many kicks strategy?

Clearly that's why he lost.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My Saitama power theory is still it having something to do with desire or obsession or whatever. Boxing light cord guy boxed his light cord a lot, so he became a monster that was good at punching. That one car monster guy was obsessed with cars, and he became a car (monster). Crablante loving loved crab and ate a lot of crab, and so he became a crab. Saitama trained to become the strongest hero, and he became the strongest hero. (And maybe a monster? He's impossibly far beyond any other human, at the least.)

Obviously just wanting something isn't quite enough, but early on that whole "obsessed person becomes a monster" thing kind of got hammered on once every chapter or two, so it kind of stuck with me. It's clearly not the only source of monsters, but it is definitely a source of them.

Also kind of implies to me that Garou might become a monster because of his desire to... Be a monster. What kind of monster would that make, anyway? Besides a strong one because he's already really strong.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Genos is just camera shy. He wins all the time, but we're not allowed to see it, just him standing on a mountain of corpses or whatever, before something comes and inevitably kicks his rear end now that we're watching him and he can't concentrate. He's going to eventually become S-1 offscreen, then job to something that attacks immediately after we watch him accept his new rank.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some of my favorite bits of the above clips are Saitama's animation; the way he moves is so... Normal. Casual. Kind of lame even, like when he's running in the Genos fight. It wonderfully demonstrates how he has no real training or particular skill, he is just ludicrously powerful.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Complaining about MangaStream's translation time: Given that he was imitating Watchdog Man at the time, and the way WDM "shook hands" with Garou in their fight, I feel like "Give me paw" was meant to be "Shake" and I am inordinately irritated that they hosed up that good joke and callback with that awful translation.

Also, Garou's messed up but I still felt bad for him. Also some of Genos's faces in this chapter were pretty scary; he's really living up to the name "Demon Cyborg".

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpacePig posted:

I think the problem with S rank is that it goes from PriPri Prisoner, who I don't think has won a fight yet against any real threats, to Tatsumaki, who is the most powerful hero we've seen yet and arguably could've brought down Boros' ship by herself if Saitama hadn't beaten her to it. It's hard to gauge who does and does not belong in S rank when your top and bottom are so far apart.

I mean, I think we can safely say Watchdog Man belongs there, given that he keeps the most dangerous (non-Z) city under control on his own. Though some of the people above him are surprising, I think it's at least fair to say that those around or above his level definitely "deserve" to be S-Class.

Pri-Pri-Prisoner, though, seems like a high A-Class at best, yeah. I wonder if he placed there directly; I doubt he'd have gotten past Sweet Mask if he had to work his way up, but at the same time he doesn't seem like he should have placed there outright either, so, I don't know.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the deal with Sekingal's eye... Thing? That looks weird; I almost thought it was a zipper at first.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Donkringel posted:

You know...

I don't follow any sort of strength training.

Should he really be feeling that much pain with that sort of training? I get it during the first 60 days... but it really seems like he is in more pain than he should be.

It was a toothache from a cavity, which is why when the tooth was knocked out the pain stopped (and it had that big hole in it), as well as why there was that little "moral" at the end. It had nothing to do with his training, he just took lovely care of his teeth. Which you shouldn't do on a tangent because your teeth going bad sucks.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RareAcumen posted:

Okay, here's how I understand it.

Genus proposes that everyone has a cap. Some people can go to up level 10 and stay a C-class and that's their maximum. Some people get to level 7000 and end up S-Class heroes.

Saitama, a person with no special qualities to him whatsoever, somehow managed to go beyond the cap that everyone has- as postulated by he Dr. Genus, the man who conquered his own mortality- and became stronger than the pinnacle of evolution that he'd created to stand at the top of humanity's potential. In a single punch. If a nobody with no special qualities like that can achieve strength of that level, then he's been mistaken from his own impression of humanity's limits from the very beginning. And he's now demoralized over that.

Not just that he was mistaken, but that his whole life's work and everything he's ever done was so thoroughly and easily surpassed. To say nothing of the implications of the existence of someone like Saitama; Genus is a smart, paranoid guy, so he's probably put a lot of thought into the things Saitama could theoretically do. Imagine what it'd be like to know that someone out there had that kind of power, and nothing could stop them from using it however they wanted; Saitama is probably existentially terrifying to Genus.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, as much as I am enjoying Garou currently, in his first big fight, the one where he attacked all those heroes, he took off a guy's arm, among other things. Even if no one died, that was pretty messed up.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eopia posted:

Look on the bright side, that's an opportunity to get a cool robot arm.

True. Maybe he could even get a better flamethrower built into it when he does.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Expect My Mom posted:

yea but they're very mean about it!

except superalloy darkshine, he's cool

Also Watchdog Man, who is a dog and therefore a Good Boy isn't exactly social but dresses up as a dog to make children happy, and he doesn't mind people gawking at him and stuff.

But yeah, a big theme with the S-Class heroes, though not all of them, is that they're heroes incidentally, pursuing other goals that coincidentally help people, or that they don't really care about the people they save, but they are still helping and saving people.

Schwarzwald posted:

90% of Saitama's advice for Genos amounts to "calm the gently caress down."

And it's good advice. Also the only advice of Saitama's that Genos doesn't take.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 29, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lamebot posted:

Yeah, you could see PriPri's former convict victims all were transformed into monsters. They're all itching for revenge.

Given what he did to them, that's pretty understandable, really.

Also, holy poo poo Garou. That's pretty badass. And a bit terrifying, maybe.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 10, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
He saved Child Emperor in this arc; that Gorgon-looking monster destroyed Child Emperor's robots, then Pig God just showed up by walking through a wall, ignored the snake-woman's poison bite, and devoured her whole. It was... About what you'd expect from someone with his name.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fartbox posted:

Yeah it was pretty hosed up and weird in a good way

I am looking forward to Pig Gods fight the most

It was. He was a surprisingly cool guy too; he was clearly concerned about whether Child Emperor was okay and was prioritizing the kid's safety with his arrival, and he hasn't shown any particularly negative personality traits the way many S-Class heroes have; worst thing he did was smash through that building (which is justified by, again, saving CE's life).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

pig god and watchdog man are tied for top s class hero

They're really good. I want to see more Watchdog Man, but it seems like his role in this arc is already over. But we're getting some Pig God, and S-Class shenanigans in general, so that'll be fun too.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 67, according to the wiki.

Edit: Fight between the monster and Child Emperor starts here, Pig God arrives shortly after.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 11, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

A man unbeatable in any battlefield, physical or virtual. Truly the ultimate hero.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

chiasaur11 posted:

Of course, the question arises of which S class. There's some pretty big variability in strength there.

Metal Bat can take on Dragons and maybe win, after all, and Tats is stronger than most of the S class put together.

And that's not even bringing up King.

Or, heck, Watchdog Man, who crushes everything that comes into his city effortlessly and doesn't report any of it, and yet still hit S-rank because of what everyone else reports and observes him doing, which means he could well belong higher in the rankings than he is. But he doesn't really care about any of that, and we haven't seen him fighting something tougher than he is, so his strength is rather hard to gauge.

On the other hand, Puri-Puri-Prisoner is probably weaker than Sweet Mask and maybe some other high A-Class people, really. Though Mask is kind of an odd exception who chooses to act as gatekeeper, so.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gologle posted:

What if Watchdog Man is an alternate universe Saitama who after bringing world peace to his world came over to this one to continue fighting because it's still his hobby and with global peace he can't practice it anymore on his planet, and dresses up as a dog so nobody knows who he really is?

He really is similar to Saitama; he gets drawn more goofily than most other characters, his fighting style is pure power without refinement or subtlety, and he doesn't really bother with a lot of the formalities of the association or report his exploits, though unlike Saitama he at least got credit for (some) of his rather than having them assumed to be someone else's.

I'm still amused by the reporting thing, on a tangent. He just massacres all the threats to his city, then when asked how things are there he just says there's nothing interesting to report because all the monsters are already dead, while sitting on a mountain of corpses. Watchdog Man is a good boy.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

skaianDestiny posted:

But who is better boy, Rover or Watchdog?

They're both good boys, but since one faithfully defends his city while the other recently wrecked his house and ate at least one "friend", I have to declare Watchdog Man the better boy.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Saitama never tries to fight Squirrel Girl herself, getting too annoyed by her squirrel and trying (and failing) to get it much like he did with the mosquito, while Squirrel Girl does something amusing that doesn't actually hurt Saitama, whether or not she's trying to. Or she gets a non-combat "victory" by having squirrels eat his groceries while he's distracted or something.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bongo Bill posted:

Squirrel Girl derives humor from winning and Saitama derives comedy from getting dunked on, so it's obvious how that one would go.

Yeah, my thoughts were similar; Saitama getting frustrated/humiliated is much funnier than him inflicting horrible violence upon animals, so while Squirrel Girl might not "win" exactly, she'd probably come out better off, relatively speaking.

Or, yeah, like the above, a silly non-fight that likely ends poorly for both.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
"They both wore wedding dresses... At a wedding! Check and mate."

Good grief. None of the things they pointed out are even the same; there's a different dress, different bouquet, different earrings, different gloves. The connections literally amount to "they both wore clothes and have boobs".

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Suspicious Lump posted:

Yeah that's really dumb. My comment was referencing this:

Oh yeah, I wasn't thinking you thought what was in the picture. Also, that's an interesting story there.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

chiasaur11 posted:

There also was a guy who just went "I'll SHOOT them!", despite Japan's more limited gun ownership.

He got his rear end kicked, despite having a quirk that boosted his advantage.

There's also a pro hero whose power is gun. He's pretty successful.

To be fair, most of the time you use a gun you aren't shooting at someone whose name is literally "Ironiron Ironiron", whose body is hard as iron. The number of Class 1-A and 1-B people who would have survived that is... Well, at least two, not sure how many more, but not many.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, this answers the earlier gun discussion somewhat: If you have an anti-materiel rifle, along with superhuman aim and reflexes, you can do a pretty good job for yourself, at least until the "needs an S-Class hero (or Saitama) to do anything" monster shows up at least.

I mean, Zombieman already shows that guns can at least be helpful and all, and I don't remember him coming up earlier, but anyway. That was neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reiche posted:

Also, I was thinking about female heroes in general so it was a really nice touch that the one ninja caught Flashy Flash's attention turned out to be a woman and managed to impress him!

Overall it was really cool to see the S class heroes, who have been portrayed so far as mostly self-centered and egotistical, reacting in a positive light to a few of the up-and-comers. This chapter was sooooooo worth the wait.

There were multiple parallels between the up-and-comers and the S-Class heroes. Ninja and Flashy Flash, Mizuki and Darkshine, Futotsu and Pig God, etc. Even Sweet Mask had his eye on someone and seemed impressed.

Also, Twin Tail, the blind(folded) murder clown, was female too. No mentor for her, though.