Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
As someone who really, really likes Mob Psycho 100 and is looking forward to the second season, I'll actually agree with Eej in that I loathed Reigen after the first episode or two. He was, in fact, pretty blatantly screwing Mob over there, and there was and is no real excuse for it.

He's a lot more entertaining and endearing later, to the point that the early characterization feels like it had been written before ONE figured out the character or something and the anime just kept that, and I thought he was great by the end of the first season, but, uh, yeah. Reigen loving sucked early on, and posting a bunch of in-jokes and impenetrable references to things someone who hasn't watched beyond that point won't be familiar with isn't going to convince someone otherwise when the only thing they've seen of Reigen is him having Mob blow up a bunch of ghosts for him then taking all the pay while buying the kid the cheapest lunch he could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I half suspect/hope that Phoenixman still isn't actually dead, despite the arc (hopefully) moving on next chapter. I mean, his whole thing has been coming back after dying, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if at some point a few panels have him getting up after being blasted into the middle of nowhere or whatever. Though he might have been sent into space, so. Would suck for him then.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Saitama is a hero because he was obsessed with becoming a hero. That's the reason he wanted to become strong, after all.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Saitama lost his hair after, like, a year and a half, right? At least that? I don't think this guy has been at this that long.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Watchdog Man doesn't seem to care about much more than protecting his city from monsters; he even stopped chasing Garou after the latter managed to flee the city limits.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
How is "Is the right thread for this talk the one where it's a spoiler for the work or the one where it isn't?" even a question? At the least, don't start the ONE spoiler chat on the same page people are also using spoilers for the current Murata chapter; the ONE conversation now has people responding to spoilered-out posts with their own spoilered posts, so while the initial post might have had a warning about being about ONE's version, by the second response it's just black bars in response to black bars and you can't tell which version is being talked about without revealing the spoilers. Which, if you haven't read the ONE version, is not ideal. If this thread also has people talking about the new anime season to compare it to the version it's derived from, then it seems like the ONE-Murata comparisons should be in the ONE thread.

I mean, I know that having a conversation about stuff you know about around people who don't and being publicly secretive about it is half the point of these posts for some people, but seriously. If your conversation is meant solely for people who are familiar with the ONE version, then there's no reason for it to not be in the ONE thread. Posting that here seems intentionally rude. Also, pretty clearly against the rules (or, the "guidelines" from the rules thread, at least):

quote:

If a manga has an anime adaptation (which is the most common scenario) and the anime has its own thread, abstain from posting spoilers from the original manga on the anime thread.

Edit: This post said it much more succinctly:

ninjewtsu posted:

i mean, if it's discussion that spoils future manga events, why couldn't it be had in the one version thread? if it doesn't spoil future events, people talk about the differences in this thread all the time. just like, i dunno, seems like if you're talking to other people who read the one version, you post in the one thread, and if you're talking to people who haven't, post in the manga thread

As for the pacing subject, I don't think the meteor arc is an example of bad pacing? I mean, Metal Knight's robot arriving was a lot of pages, sure, but it didn't take long to get through them unless you spent a whole lot of time admiring each one. It was almost like a small flipbook section in the manga. Pacing issues, at least as I understand them, would be more like where the Murata version adds new scenes that, despite having a lot of dialog and stuff, don't actually add new stuff and just wind up padding out the arc. It's not just "this took a whole lot of pages", because not every page takes the same amount of time, in-comic or out, if that makes sense.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zzulu posted:

I tried getting into MP100 but it's just not that interesting or fun. It did have some REALLY good animation though

OPM is just more my cup of tea for sure

When I first watched MP100, I wasn't immediately grabbed either; it took a few episodes, though it was great after that. Perhaps ironically given how much people love him, the biggest issue was Reigan; he was utterly unlikable at first, but fortunately that changed after a few episodes

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Counterpoint:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

thetoughestbean posted:

I like Reigen but the way that people gush about him is off putting

It is, especially with the refusal to acknowledge what an absolute rear end in a top hat he was in those first few episodes. He doesn't feel like the same person at all as later, even counting the flashback to before the first episode, as if ONE started writing him differently later and hadn't figured out his personality at first. Which is completely fair and common, but still, he was an unlikable gently caress at first, and trying to pretend that he's perfect when he was blatantly exploiting Mob and showing him zero gratitude for it, or reacting like this to even mild criticisms of it:

Zerilan posted:

His opinion is pretty spot on and Reigen is the best.

Also, this is not a hyperbolic statement: Mob Psycho 100 is one of the best manga series I've read and the released anime seasons together is the best anime I've watched since Ping Pong.

Are going to do the opposite of make people want to watch the show, and I'm speaking as someone who also thinks it's one of the best anime they've seen and liked Reigen after those first few episodes were past and there was more to him than "that guy who profited off sending Mob into life-threatening situations and barely paid him for it".

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zerilan posted:

Yes, people who talk about a series they've seen are talking from the perspective of seeing the series.

Yes, and you're responding to people who are talking from the perspective of before they saw the show and their immediate exposure to Reigen was, for obvious reasons, that first episode. Which was the point, seeing as the topic was people having trouble getting into MP100, in large part because of hype backlash and not liking some characters, especially Reigen, early on.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheLoneStar posted:

You can like a character even if they do lovely things. Just look at all the popular villains in literally all forms of media. It's weird how this thread treats Reigen as some sort of exception sometimes. I swear this is the second or third time we've had this exact discussion.

It's not that he's an "exception", it's that his particular shittiness was not entertaining to a lot of people. Conman Reigen is amusing, but "Profits off Mob's abilities while not paying him (and explicitly being a factor towards Mob's 'explosion')" Reigen is just an rear end in a top hat.

Which is something I think hasn't been brought up, actually. People pointed out that it takes a while before we see how Reigen's been a good influence on Mob, but the end of the first episode has him being a negative influence on Mob's emotional state. It's the last thing in the episode, even, contributing to the feeling that Reigen being a bad mentor is going to be a major part of the show. Which, thankfully, it isn't, but it's what I was expecting, and part of why I wasn't that excited as I continued watching.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EVIL Gibson posted:

I like how mad Pig God was at being vored. Almost like, "How DARE you!"

It's the first time we've seen something remotely threaten Pig God, right? That one snake monster, he just ignored the poison entirely and then devoured it, but this thing actually put him in a potentially damaging situation.

Also, Iaian's sword healed itself on that last page. Countdown to Murata redrawing it to fix that mistake.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
To be fair, in HxH the fact that it was only 30 seconds (or however long it was) was actually relevant. All that poo poo going down simultaneously in so little time actually mattered, it wasn't just "yeah this all happened in this amount of time, whatever".

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

skaianDestiny posted:

So the Child Emperor vs Phoenixman fight got retconned.

Or should I say Penguinman

Is there some Japanese myth or cultural thing here? Bloody Roar also has a character who has both a phoenix and a penguin form. Not sure if it's a coincidence, a reference, the two just working well together, or something else that I'm missing.

Either way, I thought the redraw was funny, though it was a bit odd at times too. It's been a while since I read the original chapters and stuff.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bucswabe posted:

The ninjas were both dragon level in their monster form, and I'd say they got chumped by Flash. Also Gyoro Gyoro (though it was just a meat puppet).

Gyoro Gyoro seems like a bad example to me because he (well, she, but I think the Gyoro Gyoro disguise was meant to be male) faced off against Tatsumaki, who is so absurdly beyond any of the heroes besides Saitama that her having an easy time of things isn't really indicative of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, while the scanlator may have just been naive or unfamiliar with the history of the US or whatever, that doesn't really matter; "Blackie" is bad and should be changed ASAP.

Also, his English name is "Superalloy Darkshine", not "Superalloy Blackshine", so if anything his nickname should be- Oh.

...Wait, didn't a scanlator actually call him "Darky" a while back? Was it this one or a different one? Pretty sure that would have gotten some feedback, so if this is their way of responding/trying to do better after that one, that'd be... Something.

Edit: This is the worst snipe, oh no.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 2, 2020