Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Gyges posted:

Clearly Genos knows his anime memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

HOLY SHIT!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
But... that's the entire joke.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

DrManiac posted:

Is HxH actually good or is it a Naruto where you should only care if you started reading in middle school?

Hunter x Hunter is legit amazing. Theres a reason why all of us are still fans of it despite the fact it's on hiatus so much that started before One Piece and has like a quarter the chapters.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Zzulu posted:

It's not really a standard punchman anime. At first glance that's exactly what it seems to be, especially during the first few episodes but it kind of takes everything in different directions as it progresses

it also gets really fuckin dark at times

The like, 3rd arc proper, the entire premise is that all the badguys are insanely overpowered and our heroes would be squashed like spiders if they fought them, no training arc is gonna help them here. It's amazing.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Oxxidation posted:

Togashi's work is kind of similar to Onepunch Man in that he's a big fan of characters who are so overwhelmingly powerful that no amount of training or attrition can take them down, forcing the heroes to find alternate means of attack. Hell, Yu Yu Hakusho ended with its main character losing the final battle and it turned out to not even matter because his opponent was so exhausted that he got chumped by a totally different guy shortly after.

It's not a popular opinion but I think the final arc of Yu Yu Hakusho is one of the best parts of the series. It's got this kind of melancholic atmosphere throughout and then the hero just realises that all this shounen hero poo poo isn't for him anymore and retires. I hear it goes down a bit different in the anime but I dunno if its done better or worse.

The way that they finally defeat Meruyem is another great moment. Goddamn.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

I can't read all this moon-writing, but all I know is I saw 「HUNTER X HUNTER」 and I'm hype as gently caress!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Gyges posted:

Leorio never disappoints.

Chimera Cockroach arc.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

tsob posted:

He might even just give Murata notes to do the writing from himself, becoming more of a consultant on the series than author at that point, since hasn't Murata done manga on his own before? I don't know how good they were writing wise, but if he's got good notes he can probably pick up the slack himself or hire someone else to help do the writing based off ONE's notes and consultation regarding intent and the spirit he envisions for it.

I'm not a Murata expert, but the main thing I remember him from is Eyeshield 21, which had another writer.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

tsob posted:

Looks familiar, is that the old persona of the All Might analogue in the My Hero Academia pilot chapter?

I think it's Toriyama

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

It's either him or Yuri Lowenthal that can. I do remember that there's a pretty big name English voice actor that's fluent.

Yuri Lowenthal definitely can.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Saitama's saiyan blood is boiling red hot

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Serious Frolicking posted:

This fact is probably tucked deep down in a file no one important ever read. Every S class hero aside from Genos, Bang and Pig God has had huge personality defects, but most of them got grandfathered in to s class from the old system. So naturally, the physical portion of the exam would be immensely important and shouldn't even have a cap on the results. That it does is very believable though, because that is how bureaucracies work. For the actual hero organization, it is more important to have a stable system for recruiting than it is to actually find any outstanding talents.

This post, in a somewhat roundabout way made me read all the ONE stuff and now I am a big idot who is even more hype for up coming chapters, goddammit.

At least one of my own personal big questions about the series has been answered, I guess. People are dead on that while the actual drawing is a bit sloppy, ONE is a really good comic artist when it comes to panel composition and stuff, which is cool since it means less for Murata to make up and more time to just redraw everything looking super swank.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Shugojin posted:

He probably could have destroyed the planet though, or at least heavily wrecked all of human civilization pretty easily.

He was just lucky enough to park his ship right on top of Saitama.

Since he came specifically to find Saitama, I doubt it's luck at all.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

No King, Superalloy Darkshine, Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask or Zombieman. No buy.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I think Garou might be my favourite character in this entire manga.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Saitama is Vitctory. Garou is Hard-work.

I think Genos or King is probably Friendship, idk

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

mabels big day posted:

Yeah there's no way any of the z fighters could stand a chance against Saitama, not even Buu.

Aside from Saitama, no one in the One Punch man universe we've seen is anywhere near DBZ levels of power, so who knows? Both Mr Buu or Vegeta could take Boros or the Sea King with about the same lack of effort Saitama did.

Buu is a pretty good match for this chapter actually, as his entire shtick is that he's insanely durable and difficult to hurt.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Metal Bat, Superalloy Darkshine, Pig God... yeah this checks out.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I just assume they come from the same ninja clan or something.

I have the feeling that Sonic can't not know who Lightspeed Flash is and still be slower since being the fastest is like his THING and Lightspeed is world famous. He's have been constantly hounding him.

I mean, it might be funnier if Sonic is just totally ignorant and flips the gently caress out when he finds out, I dunno.

Sonic could be faster, but I think that probably doesn't lead to as many joke options down the line.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I always imagined it as pink.

Because... you know.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Kild posted:

Mangapanda has it.

What a loving monkey's paw

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

https://youtu.be/GFTgkibl7DU?t=30
That's not a zebra crossing, man.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Aurain posted:

Geo-blocked in the UK, so if you somehow see this post before that one and you're over here, don't get hype.

I'm at work, thanks for the hype check. :)

I don't think we get Hulu here?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Currently flying to the US to watch the episode. Wish concord still existed.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Zenzirouj posted:

Came here to post this, glad somebody picked up the slack.

As for the opening, I got the impression that it's meant to be ironic/tongue in cheek. Intentionally misleading and whatnot.

I don't really know how you can't get that impression, with the insane over the top music, and the badass drawings before ending on an epic "walking away shot" .... with Saitama holding a bag of groceries.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I think there's a contractual obligation in Japan that all ED themes have to have the same tone regardless of show theme or context and also to just be poo poo.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

He saved anime in just one episode!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Engine Knight also seems to know about the cyborg Genos is after, I think.

Did Saitama use Consecutive Normal Punch on the lion dude in the manga? Seems a bit early to be pulling out the big guns like that.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Fair enough. I know he uses it on Boros, and I remembered it wasn't the first time then.

I mean, Saitama just totally breaks the normal "power curve" you see in manga. Things like the Sea King and Boros attack are in all probability just about as tough if not less so than Vaccineman and Asura Rhino, or even the rediculously giant dude, it's just, well, Saitama was the only one around for those.

It explains why everyone thinks King is such a baddass though. If they think King killed Vaccineman and the giant guy and they happened to be be way stronger than anything else in the series.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Indiana_Krom posted:

The only thing missing from that shot that was in the manga was that the building wasn't covered in blood, it actually broke in half and collapsed from the impact. Maybe Murata will fix it for the blurays... But overall I think the cut still did a pretty good job of selling how absurdly overpowered Saitama is.

I think the little touches help. Stuff like the shockwave and small explosion sound when he first smacks the mosquito or when he hits his alarm after the dream in episode one and he's smashed it through the floor.

I like at the part of the OP after the title, where it goes "3..2..1" it cycles through the various threat levels. Tiger, Demon, Dragon and God.

I think one of my favourite bits is when Beast King pulls off his ultra-intense super attack, his art style changes, speed lines everywhere, epic music... and Saitama is just kind of weaving around, drawn like a lovely flat cartoon character as normal.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 12, 2015

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I liked how Genos gradually accelerates how fast he's talking throughout his ridiculously long backstory.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Aurain posted:

Hiroki Yasumoto is supposedly casted for him, so I guess that means he's in at some point.

King does appear, both in the big s class meeting, and he's around during the Boros attack (he says he can't fly so there's nothing he can do about the spaceship), but we don't learn the real deal.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Still better paced than Paranatural.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
What does "amai" translate to then? I mean, I can see why you wouldn't want some long rear end name since it doesn't match the lip flaps, but I did think Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask gave you a better instant idea of what that guy was all about.

I completely forgot the scene at the udon place even happened. Saitama completely wrecking the physical trials remains completely hilarious. Whack-a-mole!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Literally the only time anyone has ever wanted a dust jacket on a book.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Keeshhound posted:

The man's 37 :psyduck:

My uncle was completely grey by 21, it happens.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I've always loved Metal Bat ever since he snatched the regenerating core straight out of that alien dude. It's probably because of his insanely high Kuwabara level, so seeing him do more cool poo poo is great.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
The thing I'm saddest about is, if I remember right, in the manga the force of Saitama jumping to hit the meteor makes the building get slammed halfway into the ground and that was super cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

AtomikKrab posted:

The building visibly broke and then started collapsing when saitama jumped, thats close enough, we cannot expect perfection after the budget they spent on metal knight landing.

Nah, it only started doing that when the meteor shrapnel started blowing the city apart.

The reason I complained about that in particular is, yeah I get it panning shots and stuff are difficult and such but that is an example of something that's really not and they just... don't do it for some reason. Like the anime is still great and all, and these kinds of minor nitpicks that don't matter are the harshest criticism I can levy against it. It does some stuff great, like the art style shifts with Asura Rhino and such were super cool.

Maybe I'm just crazy too, but I always imagined that Genos was firing blue laser beams rather than huge flame jets for some reason.