Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Onepunch-Man is a popular ongoing comedy webcomic by ONE. In June of 2012 it was picked up by Shueisha for their online site Tonari no Young Jump, where it's getting updates twice a month with completely new art while keeping ONE's writing and story.

Why new art?

ONE's art:

Murata's art:

Gee, I wonder why.

It is being written by ONE, who has done probably nothing you've ever heard about. He's drawing the original version of Onepunch-Man as well as writing it, and his art must be seen to be believed.

The new version's art is being done by Murata Yuusuke, who you might know for having done the art on manga like Eyeshield 21 and Donten Prism Solar Car. He's an immensely talented and dedicated artist and I could probably write the OP post of a Murata Yuusuke fanthread off the top of my head, but suffice to say he's one of the best choices imaginable for a series like Onepunch-Man.

Okay, so what's it about?

It's about the strongest man in the world.

No, really. The story follows a man named Saitama, who three years before the start of the story decided to become a superhero and attained incredible strength through grueling, nightmarish training that no mortal man could hope to survive.

The problem is, he's now too strong, and nothing poses a challenge to him anymore. One punch is enough to overcome any threat, hence the title. At the time we meet the main character, he's in the midst of something like an early mid-life crisis as he ponders the nature of strength and what it means.

For some reason, this is absolutely hilarious.

Also, he went bald.

Okay, but why should I read this?

The original Onepunch-Man was and still is a highly amusing story, but with Murata's art it becomes absolutely stunning in addition to being funny. Murata isn't bound by a page limit like he would be in a paper magazine, and he takes advantage of this to the fullest; his chapters are full of gorgeously drawn double page spreads that convey an amazing sense of motion.

---

Characters and Organizations

Heroes and Other People

Saitama

The titular Onepunch-Man. An unlicensed superhero. As of chapter 17, he's registered as a C rank hero. As written above, so strong that he actively wishes his opponents posed a better challenge. Monstrously powerful, gives no fucks. Except about special sale day.

His looks are an homage to Anpanman, the hero of the children's cartoon of the same name (Onepunch-Man's Japanese title is Wanpanman).

Genos

A cyborg and unlicensed hero. As of chapter 17, he's registered as an S rank hero. Has a backstory that could be a whole other story by itself, but in less than ten words: He thinks training under Saitama will make him strong.

Eternally dead serious, which makes him a good straight man to play off his constantly half-assed master. He worships the ground Saitama walks on.

---

Monsters and Other Antagonists
In the world of Onepunch-Man, monsters and other threats are ranked on a five point scale, from Wolf to Tiger to Demon to Dragon to God. A Wolf level monster is only a danger to individuals, while a God level being can threaten humanity itself.

Vaccineman

A being created by the Earth itself, born to cleanse the planet of the virus known as humanity.

An homage to Baikinman, the antagonist of Anpanman.

Crabrante

blub blub lol

---

By now you really should be reading. You can also read One Punch-Man as part of Weekly Shounen Jump US.

And once you're done watch this, it's great.

---

Murata streams the process of drawing his chapters regularly at this link, keep an eye on it if spoilers don't bother you and you want to see how he does what he does. You can find notifications on when he starts streaming on his twitter.

---

Wow, I really like this stuff! Is there more?
Murata and ONE have come together for a few oneshots which have been translated into English. You can find them here and here.

Someone else has also started translating ONE's original version, starting from a point roughly corresponding to chapter 30 of Murata and ONE's collaboration. You can read it here. And now discuss it here!

ONE's "serious" webcomic (the one he dedicates most of his time to), Mob Psycho 100, is unofficially being translated into English. Read it here!

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I'll take out the upcoming characters, though I didn't think just the names would be that off-putting. I'm not quite sure about removing the existing ones, though. With the possible exception of Genos, I tried to make the character descriptions as non-spoilery as possible, and most of the humor comes from their interactions with Saitama anyway. If more people want them removed then I'll take them out.

Nasgate posted:

Yessss, great OP!
Though I think one thing you're missing out on is a picture that shows what I think is the "comedy" of the art. Shots where a sparsely detailed Saitama is juxtaposed next to super detailed villains.

I thought about that for a bit, but I thought that calling attention to that deliberately would be forcing it a little. It's apparent enough from the pic of Saitama and the pic immediately following of Genos (and the rest) that one of these things is not like the others.

I also added a couple animated shorts. Hope someone enjoys them.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

I was thinking of this:
if anyone can think of a good title for it.

DON'T POINT YOUR SNOTTY FINGER AT ME LIKE THAT

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Nondevor posted:

That last page was amazing. Also, I think the first few pages of the exam were Eyeshield 21 references.

This manga :allears:

These pages came way before Murata was involved with the series, sorry.

In unrelated news:

HOLY poo poo HE ACTUALLY DREW IT LIKE THIS.

Also from Murata's twitter:

Murata's first drafts for the cover illustrations on volumes 1 and 2.

Note: In the end he didn't go with any of these. This loving guy.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 17, 2012

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Reposting for the new page:

Yes, he did draw this part like a flipbook.

Also from Murata's twitter:

Rough drafts for volume 1+2's cover illustrations. Murata scrapped everything here because it didn't look good enough.

e: Haha I just noticed Saitama is holding a grocery bag of leeks in his left hand in most of these.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 17, 2012

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Boon did chapter 18. The series is now caught up with Japan (save two bonus chapters, one of which is a short piece about Saitama in the middle of his training and the other which is a draft of chapter 1 he drew entirely with markers). The next chapter comes out in Japan on the 29th of this month (Thursday of next week).

Chapter 18

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 18, 2012

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Cover illustrations for the first two volumes, "One Punch" (1) and "The Secret of His Strength" (2) are out, courtesy of Murata's twitter:

He's still carrying that goddamn bag of leeks, hahaha.

Holy poo poo I just realized that the cover and the inner flap together form a three dimensional building.:aaaaa:

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 19, 2012

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Caeruleas posted:

I've been diving into the original webomic, and I started to wonder if the scanlators are only doing the ones with new art.

Well, yes. Manga is a visual medium and I'm sure most people would prefer to enjoy Murata's art rather than suffer ONE's, given the choice. As an aside, ONE can sort of draw (at least, better than he does with OPM), it's just that he doesn't really care to do so for this particular series. His other series, Mob Psycho 100, has a bit more work put into it.

Personally, I wouldn't scanlate the originals, though I can't really give a reason why other than "I don't think it'd be worth the effort." Murata's obviously in it for the long haul, and I don't really see any downside to just taking his version as it comes instead of working on a version that'll be rendered more or less obsolete sometime in the future. Like, if you did chapter 19 tomorrow, people would maybe read that for a week, but after that (once Murata's version came out and Boon translated it) almost nobody would ever go back to the version you did. In that sense, it's sort of like posting text spoilers to future chapters, in which case why not do that and save yourself the trouble?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Higher quality versions of the two covers, courtesy of Amazon.jp.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Saitama telling everyone in Medaka to shut the hell up and summarize in ten words or less would be pretty great, no lie.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

87 to be precise, and it's still going. For what it's worth I've read up to the most recent chapter and I think it stays great.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

By the way, the new chapter should be out and probably scanlated any day now. Murata's a little late because he's been putting some last touches on a bunch of extra stuff that's going out with the volumes (which drop on December 4th!).

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

If you don't follow Murata's twitter, you should. He posts sketches and other drawings fairly often.

He also posts stuff drawn by his oldest son, which you may mistake for his own art! :v:

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 1, 2012

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

There was a oneshot chapter of Onepunch-Man in the latest issue of Miracle Jump. I'm guessing that Murata (or ONE, maybe) wanted to give readers of the new OPM a chance to see a couple of the most popular characters a little early, since it's gonna be months until they show up if Murata sticks to his current schedule.

It was glorious. :allears:

Boon will probably get onto it soon enough. If he doesn't then I'll do it when I have the time, I guess.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 4, 2012

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

WELP

Apparently Murata redrew even more stuff for the published volumes. I swear the man never stops drawing. He also tweeted that the next chapter is "almost done," but that was something like a day and a half ago so who knows when that'll be up.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

He's a dude. The original makes it much more obvious, but yes.

gnome7 posted:

I just caught up with this manga in one sitting, and holy poo poo it is amazing. I am going through the thread now and

Is there a reason this hasn't happened yet?

Because I crowdsourced the title, am bad at titles anyway, and can't change it now.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Maybe I should have clarified. Sonic gets a shirtless scene somewhere in the original that hasn't been covered in Murata's version yet. He's a dude. Murata just drew him really feminine.

Here, the scene in question, dialogue removed for spoilers.

Gyges posted:

If you really want to change it, a pm to Zorak would probably work.

I personally don't care that much either way, actually, and I don't have PMs anyway.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 8, 2012

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

MrCinos posted:

Translator wrote:

So if someone else won't translate/scanlate OPM we'll see the next chapter in English in the beginning of Jan 2013. Which is good enough for me since Molester Man (don't judge it by the title) is an excellent series too and I anticipate its chapters even more than OPM ones now.

Boon sure knows how to find gems.

Yeah, I was gonna mention that once Murata updated, but that seems to be taking a while. I'm just a little concerned since Boon can't clean scans very well and the Young Jump extra chapter is pretty bad even for a magazine raw.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The new chapter is finally up on the Tonari no YJ page, with the next one due early (or late, as the case may be) in about ten days. It was a good chapter. Murata once again shows that he's insane.

In other news, OPM is apparently selling pretty well in stores, so that's a good thing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

From the current Murata chapter (19) to the current ONE chapter (87) there are three major arcs, the last of which is still in progress. If that helps. I don't know how much more I can say without spoiling anything.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

That was actually brought up a few pages back.

AnonSpore posted:

Personally, I wouldn't scanlate the originals, though I can't really give a reason why other than "I don't think it'd be worth the effort." Murata's obviously in it for the long haul, and I don't really see any downside to just taking his version as it comes instead of working on a version that'll be rendered more or less obsolete sometime in the future. Like, if you did chapter 19 tomorrow, people would maybe read that for a week, but after that (once Murata's version came out and Boon translated it) almost nobody would ever go back to the version you did. In that sense, it's sort of like posting text spoilers to future chapters, in which case why not do that and save yourself the trouble?

were my thoughts on it. Mostly because scanlating isn't a zero-effort endeavor even with art as simple as ONE's. And in regard to your point, Murata does in fact preserve a large portion of even the paneling and angles that ONE used, so it's not like people would be missing out waiting for Murata's version.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Actually, I'm curious. I'm under the impression that the Murata version is essentially just an art update with the script largely intact but have there been any changes to the script? I know Murata's apparently keep things ridiculously faithful and recreating scenes shot-for-shot but I'd expect at least some minor changes since that generally happens in most adaptations.

No, not really. A few character designs have been changed, and a few scenes have been padded out to be more impressive. For example Oldface the brainy mad scientist really lives up to his name in the original. Sonic doesn't have that bun that makes him look even more effeminate. Mosquito Girl looked fairly horrific in ONE's version. The undergrounders look completely different. etc.

As for scenes, a few of them have been changed slightly. For example Genos and Saitama's spar in the most recent chapters was quite shorter in the original, being spread out over two chapters instead of finished in one. But by and large, over 80% of any given Murata chapter will be more or less cut for cut the same as ONE's. I could cut and paste any number of the more memorable scenes from ONE's version and you'd probably be able to recognize them immediately.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

Who makes backpacks that big anyway? :crossarms:

Dr. Stench, obviously.

On another note the next chapter is also out in Japanese, with the one after that scheduled to come in just one week. That's pretty great. If Murata meets his own deadline, that is.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

I'm assuming we get to meet all the other Rank S heroes now/soon?

Yes, though not all at once.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that Speed of sound sonic is amazing-awesome and I hope he keeps being a recurring antagonist? I just love how far he'll go to have a fight with saitama even though he KNOWS how powerful he is.

I loving love how the realism on Saitama's face keeps changing, absolutely golden.

Sonic is hilarious and yes, he has more great scenes coming up. He's sort of the series buttmonkey at this point.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

According to Murata on his twitter, this week's chapter will be a totally new Thing that wasn't in the original, so if you've read ONE's version or even just looked at the pretty pictures, it's gonna be a surprise.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 28, 2012

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

I love how the url is "onepanman" even though the text on the cover page clearly says One Punch Man. I'm just gonna assume it's some kind of pun. If anime has taught me one thing, it's that the Japanese loving love puns.

booksnake posted:

I swear that someone in this thread or the misc. shounen thread was saying how it's onepanman as a reference to some other classic hero anpanman, but I can't find the post.

That was probably me. Anyway, the Japanese title is Wanpanman, but Murata wrote it as Onepunch-Man in English. "Wanpanman" is only one character removed from "(Sore Ike!) Anpanman," a children's cartoon that's about a Superman whose head is made of bread. Saitama's color scheme and outfit (and baldness) are all taken from that guy. The first villain in OPM, Vaccineman, is also an homage to Anpanman's archenemy, Baikinman.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I've seen that and it's full of errors. Tatsumaki is nowhere near as powerful as Saitama, for instance.

If people really want info that much I can post small bios on everyone in the series so far, but I do agree with earlier opinions that a lot of the fun comes from the introductions themselves.

On another note, the next (Japanese) chapter should be coming tomorrow.

Optimus Subprime posted:

This picture is fantastic. Watchdog is a s-class hero, so he's just as powerful as Genos. On top of that, Saitama accidentally broke off the top of his drum stick ice cream come, which is something any all American (man) child has done.

Actually, S-rankers tend to get more powerful as the number goes up, so Watchdogman is actually significantly more powerful than Genos. :v:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

For those who actually care about silly inconsequential things such as differences in scanlation groups, Boon (the guy who was originally doing OPM) has picked back up after finishing his other series Molester Man, so you can read his releases which are thankfully devoid of the watermarks the other group went crazy with.

Batoto
Boon's blog

In news from Japan, the next chapter is overdue by about 4 days and Murata seems to have gone missing, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that he's busy saving the world by showing the invading aliens his art and making them feel emotion for the first time.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 14, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Well, by missing I just mean he hasn't been updating his twitter, so he's probably fine. Murata IS a tremendous workaholic and perfectionist, but he's been like that since forever, and also this isn't the first chapter that's been late. There's probably nothing to worry about.

He was also redrawing and editing pages on the last chapter as recently as the 8th (and the new chapter was supposed to be out on the 10th), so there's more than likely some "aagh this chapter is only ridiculously good instead of absolutely perfect, this will never do, I will redraw everything" going on.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The new chapter is out in Japanese, and it was pretty nice (though the site is running at the speed of molasses because everyone is rushing to read the week-late chapter). This mini-arc has been original content that's not in ONE's version, but I think it's setting up for the next major arc with the Deep Sea King, especially given how the monster was made of seaweed and it mentions hearing rumors of strong monsters gathering in the area.

Next chapter should be out on the 31st of January.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Holy God that is a terrible translation, please don't read it, and if the other chapters mangapanda has done are anything like that too, please forget you ever read them as well.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Note: When I say it's a bad translation I'm not talking about the grammar or anything (though that's awkward too). Tons of lines are mistranslated, and many have even been made up wholesale, probably because the translator didn't know what they meant. Really, save yourself the trouble and don't read it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Boon didn't drop the project, and he's still working on it (albeit at a slower pace than before). He usually has time to work on the weekends, though, so maybe he'll catch up today or tomorrow.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Boon
Batoto

Boon's caught up to the most recent chapter and his translations are much better than mangapanda's, so I recommend you read them. Maybe compare them with mangapanda's so you can see just how terrible they are, because god drat, it takes effort to be that bad.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 20, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Murata also drew short extra chapters for the volume releases, and Boon is doing them as well. Here's the first one, for volume 1. Nameless Bicycle Commuter :allears:

Boon
Batoto

As an aside, Boon has noted that he's going to stop scanlating OPM once Shonen Jump Alpha's releases catch up to Japan. I checked out the translation of the first chapter that's up on Shonen Jump's site and it was more or less accurate if a bit dry. So there's that, too.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 22, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Shonen Jump Alpha will be releasing on the same day as Japan. For published series like Naruto and Bleach this is a problem because English scanlations are actually done with leaked scans that come out almost a week before Weekly Shonen Jump physically hits shelves in Japan, but since Onepunch-Man releases online anyway, American readers should be getting true synchronized releases. For non-Americans, I'm sure that people will rip and upload the SJA scans to online readers, though I'm not certain whether that'd keep people from talking about it here.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It was a parody on the "sudden acute pains = hidden transformation into superbeing" cliche.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Nahxela posted:

I imagine Saitama isn't smart enough to interpret psychological warfare, and that'll end up with him being oblivious and just punching things as normal.

Saitama's response to psychological warfare.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Whether they use their powers for good or for evil, just like any other superhero setting. Excluding monsters and malevolent aliens, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Liar posted:

The whole balding thing actually worries me that Saitama may have been running past a nuclear power plant everyday, and his strength will be explained as mutation from radiation.

Possible, but that's not really the theme that's been running through the series. It's been more like "ordinary people with extraordinary willpower/tenacity can exceed their limits and become superhuman." Not just with Saitama but also with a lot of the mysterious beings who've appeared so far. One of the S-rank heroes, Kurobikari, is someone who lifted weights since he was a boy and became a massively powerful and muscular man.