Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I think with all this build-up, Sea King has to be the first guy to be able to dodge one of Saitama's punches. I dont think there's a single entity on earth who can block or survive one of those, so the only option left is dodging them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I love that the kanji on that house says "Shoryuken" but using the sign for 'house'. So it's the "Rising dragon house".

Extend upwards and uppercut that meteor back to the cosmos, Rising Dragon House!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Condiv posted:

Anyway, I was re-reading from the start, and it struck me. Did genos save saitama's life when they fought the mosquito girl? Saitama didn't seem to be immune to mosquito bites, and he couldn't crush one mosquito, so perhaps mosquito girl was saitama's kryptonite.
Well, if you think about it, mosquitos and swarm/area-based attacks are the only way to fight Saitama from what we know so far. He doesn't seem to have any superpowers he's just ridiculously fast and strong, so trying with any level of martial-arts/defense/strength will just get you killed the moment Saitama remembers which day was sale day. (Today) But what's he going to do against a swarm of mosquitos? Punch it? He's going to punch it, then get swarmed drained and die.

You could also fight him with toxic gas, electric shocks, acids (acid spit is just going to get dodged though, sorry Sea King)... anything else?

Basically Mosquito woman was Saitama's hard-counter.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

international owl day posted:

I think if he can punch through a meteor, he can probably kill a mosquito lady, no matter what she sends at him. The only enemy that has actually ever put up a fight was in Saitama's dream.
Of course, but the thing is she actually has an attack that can kill Saitama. If he can get to mosquito girl without getting hit by the swarm, then yes the round is over, but if mosquito lady (who is fast and can fly) can manage to stay away, until Saitama is hit by the swarm, then the round is also over.

What you're saying is the same thing as saying Batman can beat Superman because has all the informationz and planz. Yes, but if Superman throws the moon at the earth, and then the moon/earth pancake into the sun, then Batman will lose. Man I wish I remember where I saw that pic.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

If some hundred-ton sea monster can't hurt Saitama with his punches, I don't think that the humble mosquito's sting can pierce his skin either.

So no, Mosquitoes can't beat Saitama. On the other hand, it might be that Saitama can't beat the mosquitoes either.
But what if their stingers were made of unobtanium?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Well, in a case like this, i'd go with the one that sounds best to the English reader, disregarding the japanese. So if your choice is "Huff-Puff Prisoner" or "Pri-Pri-Prisoner", I'd go for the first one because it makes sense and has an obvious connection to the character himself, whereas the only advantage of the latter one is that it half-preserves a word-play that doesn't even translate into english anyway.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Case in point: that incredibly dry and literal fan re-translation of Chrono Trigger.
Lavos-sama...

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

onepixeljumpman posted:

We might be saved if we can convince him that titans are delicious.
Today is a special Titan sale!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

I don't think you get fan-translations. It's not "unnatural", it's "pure".
The original meaning is sacred! You would dare change a "world of Demons" into a mere "world of Evil"?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

onepixeljumpman posted:

Well, a "world of evil" could have anyone doing the evil. "World of Demons" is a lot more specific about there being demons. You need the original Japanese to really understand the complexity of that sentence. :fap: :japan:
Lavos-sama.....

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Spirit only gets you mechs and beam attacks, and Rider doesn't need any of that crap.
Ju... Justice Tackle!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Oh King, you sexy bastard.

Let the King Engine roar!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

Bang attained rank 3 as a mere elderly martial artist with no special powers. Like hell he can't take a punch.
Yup, hes gonna stand up and brush some dust off his shoulder. Alien guy gonna be like :drat:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

There werent any of the special lines that usually come with his moves
Flowing Pinball-Bounce!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Only one thing bugs me with this (Major spoilers if you havent read ONE's version) It completely takes the impact out of Garou landing that first hit on Saitama. When he dodges his punch and kicks him in the face that was the first time anyone genuinely landed a hit on Saitama, even if there was no damage, and it was built up for half the manga so it was a gently caress-yeah moment. But now that Random Anime Person just liver punched him randomly and gave him a backhead smack, it's not going to be a big deal anymore. I'd much rather the exact same events happened this chapter except Saitama blocked that gutpunch.

It made Garou stand out as a villain and was a major payoff to that arc, but now it's going to be just another regular battle.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The gently caress, I completely forgot this.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

On another note:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/245500/onepunch-man_ch34.6v2_by_nerieru-scans/9

I love this shot and the disparity between the two's fighting styles. Boros is making GBS threads himself giving all he's got. Saitama however is mostly flapping his arms around in some kind of improvised 100 Crack Fist move, he doesn't even clench his fist. It's obvious that although he's god the speed reflexes and power of a god, Saitama has no skills at all when it comes to fighting style. (Which is logical when you don't even need to put any effort in in the first place)

Makes you wonder what kind of punches he could throw if he took a karate lesson. (And did 100 katas a day with no breaks, even when it's really hard, and with the AC turned off)

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

:shepface:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Golden Sale Requiem

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

So a Super Move Serious Series: Serious Punch is essentially Saitama throwing an actual punch with proper legwork and torso rotation rather than kind of lazily flopping his hand from the hip in the general direction of the enemy.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Speaking of punching technique, I love this page: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/258244/onepunch-man_ch35.2-v3_by_nerieru-scans/13

He is punching like a child! Like, when I was 6 and got angry, I would just kind of run towards whoever it was and kind of wave my fists at him. Saitama is doing the same thing!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Punc posted:

For anyone reading One's original, do spoiler we lighty: do we ever see OPM get serious? Is there more crazy punching coming?
I will not answer these questions but I will say that there are more moves in the "Super Moves Serious Series".

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

whup sry

Bisse fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 24, 2014

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

OMG the panel where Fubuki offers him the deal and her hair is the same black as the panel background? It's exactly the same in the ONE version.

This is super interesting!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its no different than any flurry of punches in any anime ever.
This is wrong (wrt Saitama's Consecutive Normal Punches, not Genos' thing). Totally wrong. The difference is that Saitama is not throwing punches like a normal person would throw a punch. He is throwing punches like a five year old. If you look at that spread you'll see he's running forwards, and leaning forwards, and holding his fists back to his shoulders on the same side of his body but with his palms facing towards his shoulders then just kind of throwing them forwards. He's not using the rest of his body either - his waist and torso and shoulders are 100% static. He is leaning his head backwards, not forwards. This is not a good way to throw a punch at all and a normal person would not get much power behind a punch like that especially while off-balance due to running like that.

It's not an art mistake, because the martial arts in the rest of the entire comic is on point. It's completely intentional. Saitama is throwing punches like a five year old because he has been given godslaying strength but no clue in the world about how to use it, plus he just does not give a gently caress enough to even bother trying. And 2/3rds of the punches even miss in that spread! He's throwing punches so halfassedly that most of them are going over Boros' shoulder and completely missing.

This is the reason that that spread is my favourite spread in the comic.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 28, 2015

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Terper posted:

It's a mix of that, and that a punch that ISN'T half-assed could destroy the world, particularly a flurry.
You mean like 10 pages later where he does a Super Move: Serious Series: Serious Punch where he actually uses his legs and torso and as a result the sky is split in half all the way across the atlantic ocean?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Parrotine posted:

I wonder how this will work with One's randomized chapter update schedule. He doesn't update in a regular fashion; sometimes it'll be a chapter update within an already finished story arc (see the Smelly Lid prison b-plot starring Pri-Pri), or he'll just pad out the conclusion of another one to enrich an S-Class hero like Metal Knight.
Well One better shape the gently caress up if Murata or the Anime start approaching the end of what he's done so far. He can be as focused on Mob Psycho as he wants but Mob Psycho is not currently being doubly readapted and reaching enough fame for american Marvel/DC bloggers to call it the "Best Superhero Comic 2014".

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

lol no one gives a poo poo about marvel/dc bloggers
I did not either until one of them heralded OPM best superhero comic 2014 where the competition is all superhero comics and the guy is a total Marvel/DC sperg.

I believe it was linked earlier in this topic or the other OPM topic.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

This dude worked on Cat Soup???!?!?!?! respect++

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

It is a good fancomic but it makes me happy that OPM does not do any weird poo poo that most other manga nowadays do. Like OPM has monsters like Sunflower Man or "I ate too much crab, so I became a crab man!" or just a literal fan, compared to this thing which literally does Loli Monster #12 and Loli Monster #28.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Soulcleaver posted:

Can we have one ADTRW thread without pedochat?
no

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

tsob posted:

He might even just give Murata notes to do the writing from himself, becoming more of a consultant on the series than author at that point, since hasn't Murata done manga on his own before? I don't know how good they were writing wise, but if he's got good notes he can probably pick up the slack himself or hire someone else to help do the writing based off ONE's notes and consultation regarding intent and the spirit he envisions for it.
OPM is as popular as it is today solely because of its writing. If it didnt have godlike writing it wouldn't have so many readers and Murata wouldn't be redrawing it. So giving away the writing would be fantastically moronic. I have no doubt Murata could do basically the entire comic by himself except for the writing.

Best would be, ONE does writing, does storybording together with and Murata, who then draws it.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

One Punch Man is about a man with strong punch who is very bored.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Rivensteel posted:

What happens when Garou goes after him? :ohdear:
He will be challenged to an honorable battle of Video Games and find out that King is indeed the strongest.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Gyges posted:

He's the hero against which all other heroes are measured.
It's a good thing Licenseless Rider weakened that Sea King so that that weird caped guy could kill him with that lucky shot.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Batmasterson posted:

The versatility of the tank top doubles the punching power. Seems pretty logical to me.
And combined with the nutrition from the vegetarian diet you get a M.on.s.t.e.R

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was wondering, where did the "(lol)" thing come from?
Genos says "Speed of Sound Sonic? What kind of name is that? That's like saying a Round Circle" and next time he refers to our leatherclad mangirl he refers to him as "Speed of Sound Sonic (lol)" verbatim.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Saitama spent all his money faking the test results, that's why he's so poor and fixates on special sale days
Hahaha, spot on

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

gnome7 posted:

Boros and Asura Rhino would definitely count, but Saitama met them before an official announcement could be made :toot:
Boros yes, but Asura... meh. He was a total chump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

This is a rare "even better than the manga" moment, but hahaha, when luffy kicks enel the circular drums thing on his back just disappears.

I think I like this because they don't artificially try to make it some kind of punchline, like the way they botched the Sugar snipe. It just happens, quietly with no sound effects or music change, matter-of-fact style.