Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Do you guys really need an elaborate preorder system for DQ2? Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first person to preorder DQ2, but all the bells and whistles attached seems kind of unnecessary. Especially if it gives people some control over game design. Not much of a fan of that. :P

Would you be doing this through the Humble Store, like Risk of Rain, Treasure Adventure World and Starbound are doing, or are you going the route of Kickstarter? I prefer Humble since it takes less fees and lasts as long as you want without the reward tier stuff, but I dunno. Unless one of the reward tiers was revealing the secrets still in DQ1 and implimenting the cool eye-rock-desert thing, I'd be cool with that. :toot:

quote:

The Game: DRM-Free + Steam (etc) Key
Soundtrack
Original game (Defender's Quest 1)

These three should be the basic tier. $15 gets you soundtrack, a copy of the original game to give to your friends and therefore increase awareness of the preorder campaign and the game itself when done. Maybe make it 10% off, because that's likely what it will debut at, and people are much more likely to preorder something if they think they'll be getting a discount out of it.

quote:

Alpha access + Alpha forum (Alpha = earlier than beta)
Beta access + Beta forum

Not sure if I'd pay more money to be an alpha/betatester, but I'm sure there's some people who might. Alpha/betatesting is usually a frustrating enough experience to do for free in sandbox games. :) Toss in a changing story and saves likely to be deleted over and over and it could sour you to the game.

quote:

4x pack of (Game+Keys+Soundtrack)

This one would be good, if it were at a % discount off. 4 copies for 25% off? Starbound does 25%.

quote:

Your name on a monster in a special playable "ending credits" battle.
Help design an item
Help design a monster
Help design a level
Your name on a cooler, higher-rank monster in the "ending credits" battle
Our artist paints your face on an NPC character portrait

Giving people control over game design, instead of being merely able to suggest things, is again a bit iffy. But if it gets the game developed, whatever.

quote:

10x pack of (Game+Keys+Soundtrack)

Seems like it would appeal to people trying to get a bunch of keys on the cheap to resell at a higher price later. Who else would need 10 keys?

quote:

Digital Artbook
Digital Strategy Guide / Instruction Manual
Digital Story/World Book

These are also great options, I love artbooks - especially if they're filled with some great concept art.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Jesto posted:

Seems like it would appeal to people trying to get a bunch of keys on the cheap to resell at a higher price later. Who else would need 10 keys?
I don't think you're aware of how much gifting happens :gaben:

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
If you haven't bought the game yet, it's $4.95 (67% off) for the next 5 hours on the dev's site. Comes with the usual DRM free version and keys. It'd be longer than 5 hours, but I didn't notice until now.

http://www.defendersquest.com/buy.html

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
I couldn't think of anyone to buy a copy for so I just jumped into the Steam leveling Kool Aid

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Malek posted:

I couldn't think of anyone to buy a copy for so I just jumped into the Steam leveling Kool Aid

I wonder how many people have that badge. It's at least two I guess.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I wonder how many people have that badge. It's at least two I guess.

They were the most expensive badges to earn that I presently have.

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Buy my awesome game because I'm awesome.
I just put out a newsletter update. I'll post the most newsy bit here:

Dust: An Elysian Tail animator Dean Dodrill will be our lead animator for Defender's Quest II

Karen Petrasko will be handling visual designs (ie, everything 2D, and character/monster designs)
Dean Dodrill will do all the actual animation

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That's amazing! I loved the artwork in Dust, I'm looking forward to seeing how well it transfers.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
So the cutscenes will feature actual animation? No static pieces of artwork? Hrm. So long as it doesn't slow down the ability to read through cutscenes and we can advance through them at our own pace, I can't imagine anyone will have any problem with it. Fantastic news. :)

Dust's art is beautiful and the pieces on Karen's site are amazing, so my expectations are through the roof now. :D Keep us updated!

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Got this newsletter today, haven't seen it posted up anywhere? Would be nice if it were up on the site to link to, trying to share the page gives people access to your unsubscribe link.

quote:

Defender's Quest II -- First Details!
We just launched a new design for https://www.defendersquest.com and our new company site at https://www.leveluplabs.com. You'll also notice that we've switched to a different newsletter system.

We've been teasing Defender's Quest II: Mists of Ruin for a little while now.
We'll soon be launching a separate page for the game here:
https://www.defendersquest.com/2/

Here's what we're announcing today:

Better Art

First, super-talented artist Karen Petrasko will be in charge of the game's entire visual design. We'll be shooting for a high-res, HD-friendly art style, supporting resolutions up to 1080p.

Second, legendary animator Dean Dodrill will be in charge of animation. You might have heard of his work - he's the solo developer behind Dust: An Elysian Tail.

New Story & Setting

Mists of Ruin takes place in a new setting -- a world whose surface has been covered by toxic gas for all of recorded history. Humans shelter in crumbling domed cities, sealed tunnels beneath the earth, or small islands of land jutting just above the toxic clouds. Your party is a domed city scavenger squad, sent into the wastes to recover ancient technology, hoping to keep the systems alive for one more generation...

New Mechanics

We've heard your feedback from the first game -- we're keeping what works, and improving the rest. More details will be posted soon on the Defender's Quest II site.

Awesome Music

Kevin Penkin will be returning to do the soundtrack for Defender's Quest II. We also have a super secret special guest musician that we can't announce just yet.

Pre-order Campaign

When we launch the new site, we'll be opening pre-orders for Defender's Quest II, powered by Humble Store.

Not only can you save some money off the final launch price, we'll be throwing in a copy of Defender's Quest I with every single pre-order tier. (Separately giftable, of course!) Buying the basic tier will get you both games for more than 50% off their combined regular prices.

Higher tiers will include goodies like a digital art & story book, alpha and beta access, as well as an opportunity to be a monster in a special final credits battle -- ie, a bonus battle where every monster represents someone from the credits!

Final Thoughts

Defender's Quest II is still fairly early in development, but we figured our newsletter subscribers would want to get in on the ground floor.

Let us know if you have any questions, especially if you're a journalist or blogger and want to write about this!

You can reach us at:
leveluplabs@gmail.com

Or on twitter:
@larsiusprime
@leveluplabsllc

Thoughts?

The better art essentially removes any criticism I've ever seen anyone have of DQ1. The super secret special guest musician makes me hope that there's a Super Energy Apocalypse-esque ending song in this one, but I can only dream. :) Being able to give away a copy of DQ1 to friends for preordering DQ2 is pretty nice, or just getting both in one if you don't already have DQ1.

The best thing is the story snippit. In Defender's Quest 1 it barely seemed like the party had a second to stop, they were just making an endless dash across the Pit, being constantly hounded. Having a place for some downtime and story that doesn't get interrupted by monsters should be nice. I wonder if technology will be used to upgrade cities, and if there will be optional / secret technology that unlocks special stuff?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
As long as they rebalance archers a bit I will be happy, loved the first game outside of the silly story.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

The Gunslinger posted:

As long as they rebalance archers a bit I will be happy, loved the first game outside of the silly story.

This time around it's going to be a bit more difficult for there to be one gamebreaking 'class', from what I've heard.

There's only one of each character in each 'class', and around a dozen characters. So even if one is better than the rest, chances are you're going to be using in synergy with everyone else - instead of just spamming the battlefield with six of that unit.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

It's funny reading their official forums and then realizing the archer death zones you're so accustomed to using are actually post-nerf death zones. Haven't read them in awhile but I think I remember someone saying that they used to be able to hit targets right next to them too.

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

The new site's going up soon and will have all the newsletter info and them some. As for our special musical guest, I'm afraid it won't be Scott Johnsgard (he wrote and performed the Super Energy Apocalypse song) -- he tragically died a few years back.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
http://www.defendersquest.com/2/

The Defender's Quest 2 site is now live, which means the game is available to preorder. Which you really should do, because it gets you a Defender's Quest 1 key immediately to do whatever you want with. Give it to a friend so they can play through the game, maybe swipe any good cards they manage to grab, or give it away to goons via SteamGifts for some contributor value.

There's also a few Starbound-like tier options, if you want extra stuff. You can read more about the game on the site.

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Jesto beat me to the punch :)

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Jesto posted:

http://www.defendersquest.com/2/

The Defender's Quest 2 site is now live, which means the game is available to preorder. Which you really should do, because it gets you a Defender's Quest 1 key immediately to do whatever you want with. Give it to a friend so they can play through the game, maybe swipe any good cards they manage to grab, or give it away to goons via SteamGifts for some contributor value.

There's also a few Starbound-like tier options, if you want extra stuff. You can read more about the game on the site.

Awesome. I already owned the first game on GOG but I'm looking forward to getting a Steam key for it, just so I can write a glowing recommendation of the game and hopefully convince people on my friends list to check it out.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
Should we be posting here for "collaborations for 4 packs"?

... cause if so, I'm down for a 4 pack of Alpha tier. Yes. Alpha. :colbert:

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
I can't imagine Lars would possibly object to you tossing some extra cash his way, so go for it. :) 4-packs are there for a reason.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Jesto posted:

I can't imagine Lars would possibly object to you tossing some extra cash his way, so go for it. :) 4-packs are there for a reason.

Well aware, but $150 is a lot for me to dump right now. I'd rather take the "I'll pay $37.50" route instead and mostly goons are the only ones I trust.

VVVV: I could've read better too. Sorry bout that. :3:

Malek fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 30, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Edit: Nevermind, I misread.

What I meant was, it's okay to use this thread to organize 4-pack buys, I think.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 30, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Well, it's starting to look like Lars is some sort of wizard or something, because he never stops perfecting his work. Gotta admit, it's pretty nice to see.

quote:

So, I'm sitting on a few finished and nearly-finished translations that I have not pushed out yet. I'm *terribly* sorry about this as many people have put in a lot of hard work and I want people to enjoy what they've created.

Here's where we're at:
--German: text basically done, might need some proof-reading
--Czech: text done, might need a proof-read
--Japanese: text done, needs more font support from me
--Russian: I think text is done, needs more font support from me in cutscenes
--Chinese: I'm in touch with a chinese translator but I haven't started playing with this just yet. Definitely needs font support
--Korean: can't remember
--Spanish: can't remember
--Polish: can't remember
--French: can't remember
--Portuguese: can't remember

Every translation basically needs the following things to be considered well and truly done:

Text (completely translated text)
Proof-reading (fix typos, mispellings, errors, etc)
UI tweaks (when words don't fint)
Font support (for occasional foreign characters, and/or whole new font sets (cyrillic, asian, etc))
Community sign-off from native speakers that translation "looks good enough"

I must admit I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I didn't want to put out translations that weren't totally ready. However, this whole thing has been a learning process and I feel that perfectionism might have been a mistake. If I had put stuff out earlier, we'd have gotten feedback and could have improved it all by now. For instance, the (mostly complete) Russian version of Defender's Quest is already up on pirate sites. That doesn't really bother me, but it does signal that I'm not filling a need -- right now the pirates are providing a genuinely better product for Russians!

I really appreciate all the time and effort fans have put in on this, and my new feeling is it's best to just put these out, give credit to the fans who have made them, slap "beta" tags on various translations as necessary and note that some may still need some work, and start getting some feedback. I have some more work on my end that's required to support these translations, so I'll push through that as I can.

(For those who are worried about this distracting from Defender's Quest II - it's a good point, but the main reason I'm doing this is to prepare DefQ1 for any winter sales that our partner sites might run, and expand our international audience, hopefully driving some pre-orders. I'm also working on a small *super secret* DefQ1 update anyway, and it makes sense to fit this in).

Now that I have experience with this under my belt, I've also learned I should get this taken care of much earlier in the process. I'll try to hire professionals for the biggest languages for DEFQ2, but fan translations will always be welcome, including "alternative" translations if someone disagrees with the official ones ;)

Language packs for everybody! And another DQ1 update? Sounds awesome to me. :)

If you haven't preordered DQ2 yet, please consider doing so. If DQ1 is any indication, they will go above and beyond any expectations to give you the best product they possibly can. Most developers would have quit updating DQ1 after the release of gold edition.

They've continuously updated the game with Mac/Linux support, modding functionality, painstakingly hammered out every bug possible and even created another mini-campaign for people to play through for free. I'm sure every it of preorder funding will help them make DQ2 as fantastic a product as they can.

http://www.defendersquest.com/2/?page=preorder

They've already hit 390 preorders, help 'em hit 400! :toot:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Also, if you didn't see, there was a post on RPS about DQ2:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/04/guard-times-defenders-quest-ii-mists-of-ruin/

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Hey everybody :)

German + Czech translation drafts are up on Steam's test_public beta branch:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/218410/announcements

Also:

Jesto posted:

Uh. Lars?

What is this? :stare: Is there some great big mystery locked away inside of Defender's Quest?

The answer is now YES.(In the beta branch version).

larsiusprime fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 25, 2013

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

larsiusprime posted:

The answer is now YES.(In the beta branch version).

I want to knoooooow. Looks like playthrough #3 is upcoming :)

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Just to be clear, it's not a huge content update or anything, but should be a fun little hunt nonetheless.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
http://ia600808.us.archive.org/2/items/JpsInterviews2/leveluplabsinterview.mp3

Lars and Anthony talk Defender's Quest 1 and 2 in an interview, as well as some stuff about the Book of Secrets update. :)

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Looks like the update is live on Steam, with the new content inside. You start off by clicking the button on the main menu to obtain the Book of Secrets, equip that and it's supposed to do... something, somewhere, in some sort of scavenger hunt. There's a new area that appears in the desert while the book is equipped and certain things apparently happen in certain menus, battles or cutscenes to indicate if a secret is hidden there that can be used in the new area.

Anyone up for the challenge?

Also, DQ is on sale at 67% off ($4.94), if anyone is interested. http://store.steampowered.com/app/218410/

Jesto fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 28, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jesto posted:

Looks like the update is live on Steam, with the new content inside. You start off by clicking the button on the main menu to obtain the Book of Secrets, equip that and it's supposed to do... something, somewhere, in some sort of scavenger hunt. There's a new area that appears in the desert while the book is equipped and certain things apparently happen in certain menus, battles or cutscenes to indicate if a secret is hidden there that can be used in the new area.

Anyone up for the challenge?

I've had to take a break from secrets after racking my brain on Payday 2, but it sounds like in this case there's been a conscious effort to make the secrets 'figure-out-able.'

I'm in!

Do I have to be in New Game + or play at hard difficulties as far as you've seen?

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Looks like you can be in either mode to have the secrets appear. Clicking the Tips button with the Book of Secrets equipped causes one flash to occur, if you want to see what it looks like.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Time to call in sick for the next week to decipher this code:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Time to call in sick for the next week to decipher this code:

Yes I'm quite sure that's not a code.

:nsa:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
The first letters spell out 'this isn't a code.' Not that that means anything.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
:stare:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218410/

90% off. $1.49 for the next 48 hours. If you've ever wanted it, now is the time.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
About 12 hours left now, who knows when it will be this cheap again? :)

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Got it and it owns

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Jesto posted:

:stare:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218410/

90% off. $1.49 for the next 48 hours. If you've ever wanted it, now is the time.

Picked it up because of this actually. Really fun game. I've been enjoying it so far, only up to Act V (I just got access to dragons) but I've been trying to defeat the extreme challenges as soon as I can. Can't wait to see the sequel.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
I don't suppose anyone here would be interested in doing a Let's Play of Defender's Quest in the LP subforum? I'll toss a preorder for DQ2 your way if you do. Comes with a key for DQ2 when it's out and a key for DQ1 immediately.

Not sure how well a TD/SRPG LP would work, but odder games have before.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Jesto posted:

I don't suppose anyone here would be interested in doing a Let's Play of Defender's Quest in the LP subforum? I'll toss a preorder for DQ2 your way if you do. Comes with a key for DQ2 when it's out and a key for DQ1 immediately.

Not sure how well a TD/SRPG LP would work, but odder games have before.

I was thinking of doing one but 1) I have yet to complete NG+ and 2)I don't know whether to record the battles or just screenshot them. Most battles after a while just consist of you placing your dudes and then hitting "x4" so I doubt videos would be a good idea. Yet screenshots don't show off how your characters act and whatnot. Let's Plays are hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Edit: Moving to the new page.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 28, 2014

• Locked thread