Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Xenix posted:

I finished the Quantum Thief last week and just started The Fractal Prince, but something about the ending of TQF has been bugging me. Why did Jean tell Isidore that he wasn't his father? It was heavily implied (especially at the end, when Isidore stole the watch) and explicitly spelled out (by Jean and Raymonde's mutual friend) that he was. Did he mean that body wasn't physically Isidore's father? Did he just not remember, since he only recovered a fragment of a memory from his memory palace? I guess it doesn't really matter, but it's just been in the back of my mind, bugging me.

Because he wasn't. Jean le Flambeur was in the memory prison and got out. The King of Mars was an earlier copy who was sent to mars before this, and probably participated/led in whatever revolt against the prison happened. This Jean, le Roi, was Isidore's father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Neurosis posted:

I took this to be a reference to the relationship between Sydan and Mieli. Sydan was never as dedicated to Mieli as the other way around, otherwise she wouldn't have sought out the singularity.

Mieli was apparently in proximity to one of the Sobornost singularities being created, I imagine almost anything could happen there. It seems to me that she herself might well be a created entity with motivations set by the Pellegrini. Or, the Pellegrini might have just hacked her memories to create Sydan. Or a host of possibilities. Or it could just be that Sydan wasn't that into her, as you say.

Velius fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 6, 2014

• Locked thread