Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

Dick Holden posted:

Where I live currently (Thompson, Manitoba) I have to drive 8 hours south to Winnipeg to do 5 minutes. Each trip costs me around $500

Blimey. As someone who's been putting off going literally down the road to a gig for months now, I respect that. Long term (actually not that long term, just get a PA and a space), it might be a whole lot more viable to set up your own space. There's bound to be people around who want to give it a try, and you'll get plenty of stage time as MC. Just find a bar that's quiet on a certain night, go in and say, "hello, sir! I notice that you are quiet on [sampleday]. Could we talk about hosting an Open Mic night?" They get more people through the door, you get your night. I seem to remember there being lots of good guides on how to do it - for the UK, at least. Same queen same rules. That is how everything works.

Also, your sixth set is really good for a sixth set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

Question Mark Mound posted:

standard that I want to live up to,

Out of interest, have you been to any open mic nights just to watch yet? If you have, you'll see the most comforting-yet-terrifying sight there is: there are some really bad people out there. And it didn't stop them!

So yeah, you won't rock it on your first attempt. But you're not supposed to...

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value
Well done mate! As far as first times go, it sounds like it went rather well.