Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

That sounds like a recipe for getting snatched and murdered

Sataere posted:

When she is back in town, three to four times a week and as many as 12 times, because I can hit late mics.

Dream come true. :hfive:

I can't even imagine where i'd be with that kind of time on stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

freud mayweather posted:

Has anyone from your local scene ever been in hilarious trouble with the law?

I found out today that this local joke theif/catchphrase comedian robbed his friend at gunpoint, then got caught because he forgot his wallet at the scene of the crime, and then texted the kid threatening him again to give his wallet back. Here's the story: http://m.ctpost.com/local/article/Bumbling-robber-faces-20-years-10897012.php

We also have a comic in jail for stealing $250k worth of wine, and a couple years ago an open miccer tried to rob a gas station with a katana and the police killed him.

He told the guy "everyone is food". Amazing.

not technically my local scene by probably my secondary scene: a dude took a baseball bat to the mic host and took swings at everybody that tried to help. The host got his skull fractured and almost died, and one of my friends got his ankle broken trying to stop the guy.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

freud mayweather posted:

I actually read about that. The article was passed around amongst comics here. Where was it?

Seattle, Wa (actually i think it happened in Renton? but it's like a suburb, so essentially Seattle)

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Thursday night I legit headlined my own show for the first time. All the advertising featured my name and face, and I felt comfortable and at home on stage and they rewarded me with copious amounts of laughter. It felt amazing. After one of the best closing jokes of my career so far, the host took the mic, gave me an unsolicited hug (which the other two male comics did not get), held me in this side hug and said to the crowd "And there she is folks, and now you know why they kicked her out of 4H. She couldn't keep her calves together!"

It's a real mystery why more women don't do stand up, amirite?

I'm happy with how the set was and everything else about it was great, but I was just loving irked because no loving way would he have said some poo poo like that about a dude.

Greek Tragedy
Aug 4, 2008

Sataere posted:

Also, because I got caught up on my soapbox, congrats on what sounds like a great show. I'm just getting my first feature work in a couple of weeks. I can't wait. I also need to start honing my set, because the last few minutes are not up to the standard that I demand from myself. I really don't want to do two extra minutes of crowd work. :v:

Thanks! Also thanks for all the backup (I've been insanely busy and just came back to this thread tonight). Awesome about feature work! I think we should all celebrate all the milestones, it's a tough business. So you can take this or leave it but it was given to me by Auggie Smith who is definitely in the top 5 comics I've ever worked with (I can't remember who he said gave it to him, but here you go). Once you get a really great 5 minutes or a great closer or whatever, move that up and make it your opener, so you have to beef up (or write) more material to get to the end. You can totally put that back as your closer of course whenever you want, but I tried this when i was first going for longer sets and it definitely helped me get my entire set more consistent. I ended up putting my closer back at the end but the rest of my set is better for it, I feel.

Break a leg!