Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

That sounds like most of my jokes. Some of them are ones I know I should pull the plug on, others are jokes I stand behind and just feel they need work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Did you record yourself?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Record every set. Then listen to it repeatedly and take notes on what works, what doesn't, what you hosed up, what you improvised, etc. If I can't remember a joke idea five minutes after thinking of it, there's no way I'm going to be able to remember that great tag or riff from the night before.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Okay, here are MY thoughts:

Don't ask how they are. I still do this sometimes, so I understand that it just happens sometimes as a way of getting started, but they've probably heard it 1,000 times before you.

I liked the opener on the second set a lot more, but I felt like you stretched it too far.

The cop joke got a chuckle out of me, but I would cut everything past the first joke.

Stop fidgeting with the mic cord. You're probably not aware of it until you watch back through, but little things like that tell the audience that you're nervous, which can make them nervous too. It can take years to find any real confidence on stage, so, until then, you're going to have to fake it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^agreed, you need to break the ice somehow, but "how's everybody doing" gets done to death. I think a simple hi is much better.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Some of this will seem obvious and some might seem dick-ish, but I’ve helped run a few (one before I moved and one currently) and I really enjoy it. It’s a big commitment, if it’s something that you actually want to succeed. You want to get comics there so it will have content, but also audience members (this is the hard part) so that it’s worth going to. More audience means more comics. More audience also means it’s more likely to go well. Talk to the bar and try to get them to offer drink specials to people there for the mic. This will help draw a crowd. The old one I helped run gave a free beer to anyone who went on stage (we capped it at a certain number for the sake of time).
Enforce time. Mother of gently caress, enforce time. Five minutes at most. Give a light at four and have them acknowledge it (otherwise, shine it in their face). If they go over time, consider cutting the mic. Maybe give them a little extra if you can tell their wrapping a joke up, but don’t let people abuse the mic. This makes the other comics feel cheated.
Don’t act like it’s a big, important showcase. It’s not. No one wants to pay a cover to see your open mic. But, take it seriously and be professional about it. Start on time. Don’t show favoritism. Make people sign up in person 15min or so beforehand. Draw numbers for spots. Have a respectable sound system. Is there a stage? Not having a stage is a real hindrance to how well people will pay attention. If possible, face people toward the stage/performer.
Comedy isn’t like having a band, it requires people to pay attention. You can’t be as strict about people talking, because they probably didn’t come to see you, they came to drink (probably w/ friends) and you happened to be there.

(Sorry, this has gotten long and rambly. I could go on, but I’ll cut it off here)

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^in the past few months, your posts have shifted quickly from "that didn't go well" to "I'm killing it". I'm not saying I don't believe it, because I've had snaps where sets start to go really well for a few weeks, but I would caution you not to mistake "doing better" for "crushing". I've had friends do this and they think they're about to get their big break, only to have a string of sets eat plates full of hot poo poo and bring their confidence crashing down. A quick look at your post history makes me think your still relatively new, so, from one newbie to another, I would suggest not submitting to festivals or the like because the last thing you want to to get a bunch of exposure and not be absolutely ready to blow the roof off the place. I try to remind myself that my year 2 material might be the best drat material it could be at this level, but it's still year 2 quality.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

You're not giving that impression. I just meant I've seen people get ahead of themselves. Some people would disagree with me (and it be perfectly valid), but I'm of the belief that you don't want to overexpose yourself before you're really ready. Some, like me, would say keep your head down and develop. This is why I chose Denver over NY or LA. Others say fling yourself into the deep end and work your way up. I don't think either approach is better or worse and I'm just telling you what I would do.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^another good thing about a line like “I'll leave you guys with this" is it gives the host a cue to get ready.

Also, I've heard of Dirty Dicks from a podcast that I really like. It might be a tough room, but I've heard a lot of good things, so just relax and have fun.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^that is a very good post.

I know a lot of comics who runs shows and are pretty relaxed with time, but I know even more who take it very seriously. I fall firmly into the second group. For a showcase or thing where people's time caries, I always ask when someone wants the light. For a standard open mic, you get five minutes with a light at four. If you don't acknowledge the light (pointed at the back wall), I'll shine it in your face. If you go over your time and aren't quickly wrapping up a joke or just keep going, I will light you in the face until the sound guy fades out your mic or you get off the stage. I will absolutely remember you.

I know I'm a dick about this, but it's a matter of respect for the show, the host, the other comics, and the audience.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The thing I dislike about "well, that's my set" is you drop it at the very end. If you do three minutes when the host expects you to take five, it can catch them off guard and leave them scrambling from the back. It's not a big deal, but it's just a nice little thing you can do to help the host.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ugh, I once got paid to do 20min + host for a show and bombed the whole way through (so did everyone else. It was a hell gig), but, dammit, I did my time. Everyone else, minus one guy, went waaaaay short because of how bad the thing was, so I kept having to stretch for time between people. It was a nightmare, but was hilarious in its own way.

Sataere posted:

I get that, but I don't really have anything better. When I'm done, I'm done. I think my sets have a feel when they are wrapping up, but I could very well be wrong.

I promise, it's not hard to work this into your set. I doubt you're writing such tightly woven sets that you have to worry about breaking the magical hold you have over the audience.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Shovelbearer posted:

If my set ends on something where I can't very smoothly throw in a "One last thing..." type of deal, I just move the mic stand back in front of me during the last couple of sentences for a visual cue. Of course I'm still a semi-noob so sometimes I end up stage-blind and having to search for the mic stand. I've gotten that pretty under control recently but I actually got an accidental laugh by grabbing the wrong mic stand one time.

That's a really good move too. I usually tell my first joke or two with the mic in the stand, take it out for the middle, then put it back for the last joke or two. I hate when I forget and finish my set, only to realize I haven't even moved the stand back and fumble awkwardly to get it back while the host of walks up and stands there.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Definitely move the mic stand. Also, don't fidget with the mic cord. It's distracting and tells the audience you're nervous. I did it my first time and I see newbies do it all the time.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

freud mayweather posted:

I like the fact that everyone here is a stickler for resetting the mic stand. I hate when I'm hosting and someone hands me the mic when they're done. Or when an "Urban Act" drops the mic. Reset the stage, you diva!

Also, if you can't find space to slip "this is my last joke" into your set, you're probably not being conversational enough.

Most of the people I've seen hand the mic back have also had that look of panic in their eyes, so I've given them a pass. One dude at a mic the other day just set it on the stool and walked off. Wtf. We had a dude do a mic drop at the mic I used to help run and we told him we would ban him if he ever did it again because the venue was amazing and let us use their (high quality) equipment and that poo poo ain't cheap.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Great job breaking the tables with a photo of empty tables.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

There are very few things in comedy more frustrating than having a joke crush the first time you tell it then never getting another laugh in the subsequent tellings because you will keep telling it far longer than you should because of that goddamn first time.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Shovelbearer posted:

Well I'll tell you, I had a really good time at the Real Comedy Spot 2.0, which is on like 82nd street or so. It was only like a 20-person room maybe but it felt like a party, and Hyjinx is a great host. Saw a good variety of styles and it was fun performing in front of them. The opposite end of the spectrum was the Sweet Basil Thai restaurant open mic, which was griiim, even though I like Aaron who was hosting it. Even Nathan Brannon, who I consider super hilarious, was getting polite chuckles at most. And honestly, I watched a few sets at Dante's and it didn't seem that bad. Guys were getting decent reaction as long as they were doing premise/setup/punchline.

I don't think I've ever had anything but a bad experience at open mics that are happening in a restaurant. No one goes to Ted's Cheesesteaks expecting to hear dick jokes on a Sunday afternoon, so the chances of it being a pleasant surprise to them is slim, at best. And, yes, that is a real open mic in my city.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I usually regret most decisions I make, thinking the other option would have been a better use of my time. As long as you do something with that page of standup, it won't be a waste.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

As a Denver resident, I have the pleasure of seeing Matt Monroe (and IDT and Zach Reinert, for that matter) on a pretty regular basis.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Haven't worked with him, but I've had the pleasure of seeing him a poo poo load.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I mean, without hearing exactly how he told it, that just sounds like a premise that anyone could get to. It's a pretty easy bit of observational comedy. He could have lifted it, intentionally or from hearing Norm's bit and not realizing it, or it could just be parallel thinking.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'd be hesitant to say that those Urban Dictionary style "sex position" jokes were Patrice's either though.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

For the record, I wasn't saying Patrice stole those "jokes" either. I'm saying they're street jokes and I'd be annoyed to hear any comic telling them.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've been slacking way too much for the last few months, so, to make myself get off my rear end, I issued myself a challenge. I have to do 100 mics by July 1st, or I owe a friend $1,000. I have to record each set and upload it to a shared Drive folder. I picked a friend I know doesn't want to see me fail, but will hold me to it if I do (he's also one of, maybe, two people I don't mind being able to listen to my open mic sets, should he choose to). I have the benefit of living in a place that I could hit 12 a week if I really wanted to, so averaging 4 a week isn't unheard of. I could double up Sunday and Monday and be done, but I've been spreading them out and hitting different mics. I'm a few behind, but I could hustle for a week and be back on track easily. It's not going to be easy, but it's definitely gotten me writing a lot more and, after shaking the dust off, I'm really enjoying performing again.

Edit: also had a twitter joke featured on College Humor today. Not really a big deal, but anything I can act like is an achievement is nice

XIII fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 2, 2016

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Currently posted up at the bar, shame drinking a beer after bombing. Feels good to chase your dreams.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

HEY NONG MAN posted:

The last time I went up I spoke exclusively about Arbys for five minutes straight.

Is your name Preston?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Is she a fellow comedian? because if not gently caress it, just tell the jokes.

And, if she is a comedian, gently caress it, just tell the jokes. And I think there's a difference in telling a joke about a tired subject (OK Cupid, Tinder, etc) and telling a joke that involves said tired subject. Airplane jokes have been beaten to death, but I still hear good ones from time to time. Kyle Kinane's bit about the dude eating pancakes out of a bag on a plane is goddamn fantastic.