Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm telling you all that I'm going to sign up for an open mic Tuesday night so that I can't back out of signing up for an open mic Tuesday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

XIII posted:

Post this on your Facebook so your friends will put pressure on you to follow through. That's what I did.

I don't have a whole lot of friends here---I just moved up a week ago. I have told a few of my friends from back home.

e: I did just tell the friend who normally talks me into doing uncomfortable things and he wants me to tape the show.

How do you all rehearse? I'm currently talking to the stuffed lion who sits on my television.

captain platypus fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 26, 2013

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay. Thanks, you two!

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Apparently my phone only does half-minute video, but I did get up there.

I can see why you'd want to film. It's a five(?)-minute period where I was just on autopilot and I don't know how I did. I got some laughs and compliments, though.

Funnily enough, my favorite part got almost no laughs, and something that I didn't even consider a punchline did.

Thanks for the help!

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Question Mark Mound posted:

So I've only done three open mics myself at the start of the year and haven't done anything for a long time, does anyone else get stage blindness/deafness - as in you can't really see or hear if you're getting a response - while you're up there? After I listened back to a recording of my first one I got enough laughs, but I really could not tell whatsoever at the time how I did.

I could tell whether I was getting a response, but the whole thing---even though I clocked it MANY times at five or more minutes---went by in a flash and didn't allow much time for analysis or self-correction.

quote:

I'm signing up for local improv course just to get my performing confidence back up again since I haven't done anything for ages

Heh, me too. You don't live in Maine, do you?

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Question Mark Mound posted:

Well it seems that I'm doing another open mic a week before that improv workshop starts!
Gonna try some new stuff which I'm not sure is as funny as what I had before, but it's a little more confessional and personal so I hope that can earn me a few points with the crowd.

Good luck! Gonna film it?

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

jumba posted:

You could probably get 2 minutes of material out of that alone.

Yeah, seriously. I used my accidental three-hour walk from Bangor, ME to Orono as my five-minute bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AA is for Quitters posted:

Just popping in to this thread to say that the local bar does open mic on the third thursday of every month...

and thanks to this thread I worked up the courage to sign up for it. Worse case scenario I end up getting a drink in exchange for making an utter fool of myself and get to cross something off the bucket list. Best case scenario,I get a few laughs.

That's the best way to think about it. Break a leg! (I didn't even get the free drink.)