Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Greek Tragedy posted:

Oregon trail.
I'm putting together a set for an open mic in Spokane and I had a bit about Oregon Trail. But I'm also from north Idaho/eastern Washington, so maybe it's a regional thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

XIII posted:

I'm from Arkansas and I'm going to write an Oregon Trail bit now, just because.
Well I'm going to write a bit about your stupid state, so there. What's in Arkansas again? Nothing? You just added a prefix to "Kansas" because you couldn't even come up with your own state? This could be difficult.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Greek Tragedy posted:

Where you hitting a MIC in Spokane? I live in E. Washington too and used to live in Spokane actually, that's where I started stand up.

Do I already know you???
I've never performed before, so I doubt it. It's just something I've been thinking about doing for a while, so I thought I'd give it a try.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Greek Tragedy posted:

You should. At the very least if you decide never to do it again, you can mark it off your list of things to do in your life. Less than like 1% of people in the world ever try stand up, or some crazy number like that.
Let me know if you find yourself in the TC or near. I run the open mic here.
What is the TC?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My open mic got canceled and I hit a deer on the drive home. My comedy career is off to a beautiful start.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Actually I got really lucky. It was in the middle of the lane coming around a curve, but it jumped away from my car rather than into my windshield. All it did was give me a small dent, smash my turn signal, and break the casing to my headlight, but not my headlight. Which is good, because I'd already lost the headlight on the other side some time earlier and I was about 20 miles from any sort of lights. I actually already had a bit about having a smashed-up car, but I'll probably throw in something about this as an opening line.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So the place where I was supposed to do that open mic canceled again because the guy organizing it never got around to it. So now I'm organizing and hosting an open mic next Thursday. Here's the problem though: I have absolutely no idea what the gently caress I'm doing. I've never even participated in an open mic. My plan right now is to get a sign-up sheet, try to sign people up about a half hour before we're supposed to start, and then introduce people. Hopefully that is correct. I'm going to give everyone between three and seven minutes.

My bigger concern is that the venue seems really lovely. It's a small bakery and they're planning on putting us in a back corner. There's a PA system but it's not really a stage, half the room can't see us, and there's no real captive audience. I might try and talk them into letting people stand in a better spot, at least.

It's probably going to be a trainwreck. This should be fun for everybody!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Greek Tragedy posted:

If you're looking for one in Spokane, I know that the Goodtymes in the valley let's open micers go up before their sunday shows. I'll be doing a sunday show there next month actually.
I'll keep that in mind. There's also supposed to be a Chinese restaurant that has one. I'm organizing one at a small vegan bakery called Boots, but I don't expect many people to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Abitha Denton posted:

Does anyone (FactsAreUseless) have any pointers for making a good pitch?
My thing never ended up happening. I still have not ever participated in an open mic. Here's the story: I tried to go to an open mic night at a bakery only to discover that the person who was supposed to be organizing and hosting it never showed. Two weeks later I came back for their next one, which they promised to have a store employee set up. He was "too busy." So I just said "fine, I'll just host the next one, how hard can it be?" The person in charge told me to show up the first week of October. I did, and showed up to meet a handful of other comics and no audience. One of the comics said "Everyone thought it was next week, we just showed up to figure out what the deal was." Since we had about a 1:1 comic:audience ratio, it got moved to the following week... which I couldn't make.

On the drive back from the first canceled mic, I struck a deer. So I guess my advice would be: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.