Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Sataere posted:

To put it simply, his joke was "If they are protesting gay people, why aren't they at gay people's funerals." Mine clearly is not. But the lingering doubts remain.

I just can't get past the idea that the catalyst came from watching someone else do comedy. I mean, we are both talking about how the Westboro Baptist Church protests funerals, but they are two very different jokes. (And mine is way funnier)

I do this poo poo all the time. Half of my notebook is just my conclusions to other people's setups that they completely wasted. I agree with Ror, whether or not I'd USE a given joke depends on how distinctive the concept is - "Westboro Baptist Church pickets funerals" is something anyone could think of, "I caught fire while freebasing" is not. And it's not like the WBC is some obscure organization you'd never otherwise have heard of.

If you're both in the same showcase, or just perform in the same spaces a lot, you might think about starting the bit by explicitly calling back to theirs. People love asspats like that and you'd have to verbally mention the difference - "I think you're overthinking the WBC, they're not trying to do that, they're trying to do THIS."

I would also consider just talking to the other person about your idea for the joke, and just ask if they'd mind. A lot of people like the chance to give insight and if you play up how different the joke is they'll probably just be flattered. Worst case scenario, you could offer to let them take the joke and do what they want with it. Of course, I'm in Pittsburgh where our most prolific comics just talk about :tvtropes: and Doctor Who, so giving people original material is like the noblest charity there is. Anything to get more quality up there.

I think finishing other people's setups is an awesome exercise to do privately if nothing else - it's like creating a vacuum where you can develop your own voice, which is like priority number one.

Here's a question for experienced folks, I'm trying to get a venue for a regular open mic, ideally at a bar. I don't know if I should go to the bars I'm considering in person during the day, or e-mail first, or call, or what. No idea how bars decide what they want to host or even how to present my concept - the only show I've organized was at a theater. Does anyone (FactsAreUseless) have any pointers for making a good pitch?

(e: trying to sound less boastful)

Abitha Denton fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

My thing never ended up happening. I still have not ever participated in an open mic. Here's the story: I tried to go to an open mic night at a bakery only to discover that the person who was supposed to be organizing and hosting it never showed. Two weeks later I came back for their next one, which they promised to have a store employee set up. He was "too busy." So I just said "fine, I'll just host the next one, how hard can it be?" The person in charge told me to show up the first week of October. I did, and showed up to meet a handful of other comics and no audience. One of the comics said "Everyone thought it was next week, we just showed up to figure out what the deal was." Since we had about a 1:1 comic:audience ratio, it got moved to the following week... which I couldn't make.

On the drive back from the first canceled mic, I struck a deer. So I guess my advice would be: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Aw boo! I'm sorry to hear that. Didn't realize that meant it didn't happen when I was scanning the thread, my bad. I hope you find a place at some point!

If anyone's curious I ended up getting some pointers from someone locally, who recommended picking a place where they know your face, or come in a few times to get them to know your face before pitching. Which feels like the obvious thing to me now that someone said it, so that's embarrassing.

freud mayweather posted:

don't worry about the comic to audience ratio. even in nyc a ton of the mics have no audience. you can still do good work.

This is 100% true, especially practicing at open mics. In my experience even nice comics don't laugh that much so if you can get a good response at an empty mic you're gold.

If we have people here who want to get into it and don't live in places with loads of spaces to practice, does anyone have any feelings on posting/critiquing videos just made at home? That might be embarrassing/hard to do without a live audience but it couldn't be any more awkward than this guy (terrible stand-up YT link) and I love talking about jokes and deliveries.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Smerdyakov posted:

awesome poo poo

This is great, thanks so much for your insight! The video promos are a fantastic idea that I should work on.

I ended up setting up a pilot event at a bookstore just to see who was interested and have a little more to bring to the bar I want to use, since I'm not really tight with the staff yet.

Secretserviced posted:

Anyway, figure I'd try to start a debate about Twitter. I know it's just a website that doesn't translate as well as you'd think to performance, but it's a great way to just get in the habit of writing down any joke or jokey thing you come up with, no matter how dumb it may be. So it's basically a writing exercise that really improves your joke writing and has the potential to kind of get you noticed.

Downsides though, I've been writing some decent stuff and you'd think it have picked up more people, but it just doesn't seem to build much if any momentum. Maybe I'm just bad at promoting it I don't know. I'm @Reedinkski on twitter if you want to confirm your suspicions

Followed! Your stuff is cute. I don't know much about getting noticed on Twitter, but I use it to record shorter jokes so if anyone steals 'em there's a record. Because I'm a paranoid old lady who thinks that could happen. It's also just a nice way to organize stuff so you can't lose it like with notebooks, and usually other comics with Twitters are flattered when you follow them, so if you want to network it's like the least humiliating form of rear end-kissing possible.

As far as I can tell if you really do want more attention on Twitter you'd probably want to participate in more hashtagging stuff so people can see you on those feeds, and get into conversations with more popular people with similar styles. I think most of the people with a lot of followers also tweet like a thousand times a day, though, so only you can decide if it's worth the effort.

I reckon Smerdyakov has the right idea.