Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Poggs
Jan 6, 2013
I'm more of an improv guy myself, but I have some stand-up buddies and have tried it myself. Charleston, SC has a pretty healthy stand-up scene that's being cultivated by a few very dedicated people. I've only done open mics, bombed most times, but got some decent laughs a few times too. The best part of the scene here is that everyone is very supportive. Even if you bomb, you get applause at the end of your 5 minutes.
The more dedicated stand-ups I know keep paper and pens with them at all times, as has been mentioned. They also schedule times once or twice a week to sit down and write jokes together. I can see the pros and cons to this-- It's great to have someone to bounce your ideas off of, but it can lead to lots of inside jokes and self referential humor. That works fine in a self-contained scene, but it can limit the wide-spread appeal of your jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU