Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!
I'm so happy to have found this thread! I knew there was one in EW and another in RGD but I'm glad to have found one dealing with the actual work of creating comedy, stand up in particular.

I started doing stand up just last summer, at the age of 27. I currently live very far away from any major city centre, so one thing I wanted to accomplish in my trip back home (family reunion) was to do stand up just once, just to say that I did it. I've been a huge fan of stand up from a very early age (Dad got me hooked on Steve Martin and SNL back when I was just a wee lad) and I never even considered it a thing I could do, it just wasn't performed in my city and I had never met anybody who did it. I just considered comedians on television to be magical creatures who were birthed out of some Hollywood vagina.

What started out as a one time thing now has me completely obsessed. I think of jokes almost everyday, I do my best to write them down and save them into some long term format so that I don't forget. Since this posting I have been on stage 6 times, bombing once. Where I live currently (Thompson, Manitoba) I have to drive 8 hours south to Winnipeg to do 5 minutes. Each trip costs me around $500, but to be completely honest I don't even think about the money; I'm addicted to that high produced from being on stage in front a group of strangers and somehow managing to make them laugh. It's honestly the best I've ever felt about myself, coming down from the stage and having other comics tell you that you did a great job, it truly is one of the best feelings.

I have two sets recorded and would love to share, if that's cool let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!
Here is the latest set I've done (sixth time getting up), which is awful since now it is over two months old. I really need to move out of this place. http://soundcloud.com/richardjburke/20121028-234940/s-M5ycE (I just relistened to this and it was a terrible experience, a lot of it sounds so hacky)

Smerdyakov I listened to both of your posted sets and I liked the second one much more, maybe it was just a better crowd? It's obvious you're very comfortable on stage, you sound very natural, but the one piece of advice I would have is to have some sort of pause before your punchline. It felt like you were rushing through some of the jokes, while I think giving the audience a moment to ponder what it is you will say next would give your already established punchlines more of a kick when delivered. The mom material in the second clip was great, you can probably work more on that and develop it into five minutes on just your that subject.

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!

Zero Star posted:

Mine's coming up on Wednesday. I'm terrified already. What if nobody laughs? :ohdear:

Thing is, I'm trying to treat it as a learning exercise, but I'm still absolutely quaking.

I forget where I heard it, but someone once said that the only goal they had for their first set was to get one laugh. When they got two they felt like they were already ahead of the game. That being said the first time I ever got on stage I got an applause break, and then bombed my face off a couple sets later. Even if you crash and burn there will always be a chance to redeem yourself.

The one thing that I repeat to myself before I get on stage is this: "you're going to die, you're going to die, you're going to die...", ad infinitum. What I'm telling myself isn't that I'm going to die on stage, it's that one day I'm going to die, and getting up in front of a bunch of drunks for five minutes to say some silly things pales in comparison to the inevitability of my own death.

Also, stretch.

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!
So tonight I went to an open mic for the first time in over a year, to a crowd much bigger than I had anticipated. It went so-so. I was much more nervous than I thought I would be, and forgot the end chunk of material I had prepared. A lot of what I thought would work well fell flat, and a lot of what I thought wouldn't hold peoples attention got the best reaction. I'm looking forward to getting back up, working on material and just plain being on stage. I am suddenly reminded of all the reasons why I took a break, however I am excited to improve. I was invited back so that's good.

Don't know why I'm posting this, just had to share it with somebody. :)