Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BulletRiddled
Jun 1, 2004

I survived Disaster Movie and all I got was this poorly cropped avatar

I haven't done stand-up in about five years, so last week I gave it a shot. Not 100% happy with how it came out, and I totally bungled the second and third jokes, but I'm thrilled with the first bit and there's some salvageable material in the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJU-7lh8UO0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BulletRiddled
Jun 1, 2004

Getting back in to stand-up after a 10 year hiatus, this is my second show after getting back in. Tried doing an entire routine based around one theme, which I've never done before. I'm not terribly happy with the middle bit, but I think the beginning and end are pretty good. I have a decent idea of what I need to work on, but feedback/criticism is always welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQXIyqfeM5Y

BulletRiddled
Jun 1, 2004

Love Stole the Day posted:

• Don't drink at the club
  • Don't bring your notes on stage - learn your material and be professional
  • Shave the facial hair - there's a reason why female comedians pull their hair back and why there aren't any people with beards and whatnot on TV

Maybe it's just because I'm not Canadian, but you seem extremely nervous and awkward on the stage. It's not in a funny way, either....

You're also extremely monotone. Your voice is uninteresting to listen to -- it's like Ben Stein from Ferris Bueller. Case and point @1:45

I stopped watching halfway through because it was just too awkward.

Thanks! I was trying more for a dry/depressed sound, but it really didn't come across the way I wanted. I wasn't drunk, but my nervousness definitely made it seem like I was. I think the previous performance I posted was a lot better. I'm fine when I have someone to play off of, but as soon as I'm by myself I sound all unnatural and stilted.

A lot of my nervousness comes from me having trouble remembering my lines. It seems like no matter how well I know my material, the moment I step on stage or in front of a camera, it all leaves my head. What do you guys do for this?

Also, the beard stays.