Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Maybe if I'm part of that mob, I can help steer it in wise directions.
I performed at my first open mic night this past Wednesday and I'd like to receive some honest criticism. My friends and family have all told me they think I did great, but I am looking to see what I can work on.

Keep in mind this is my first time up on stage and I only did about 3 minutes: http://youtu.be/HAZqxkMnODA (I apologize, not the best quality)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Barracuda Bang! posted:

I have another friend who said the same thing you did. I'm not ready with a set yet, but I'll keep it in mind and reach out if I go in that direction. Thanks, though, that's a cool offer. I hope to take you up on it one day

Best way to get a set ready is to sign up for an open mic and tell your friends. You'll have no choice but to come up with material or else you'll look silly backing out.

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

I have an upcoming open mic this Friday and I'm thinking of opening with a bit about how Batman really took being an orphan hard. Do you think that is too alienating to the crowd, or that by this point everyone pretty much knows Batman's origin?

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

http://youtu.be/rxNlRdKeEY0

A portion of my latest set. This was only my second time on stage so I'd appreciate any feedback people have. I already know I need to try to not look at my notes.

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Dr_Amazing posted:

Just as a random guy I thought it was funny. Loved the first half, especially since I'm totally a jacket guy. The zombie stuff felt a little stale to me though. What was the ending to the twilight joke?

When they're having sex does the girl have to invite the vampire's dick in?

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

I know this thread isn't the most active, but I'm looking for some advice. I feel I'm a strong writer, and I've been told as much from some people I know in the area, but I am struggling to get my actual performance to match up with the writing. I'm very laid back on stage and I think it's preventing me from getting more consistent and potentially larger laughs. Any advice to come out of my shell a bit? To become more active on stage? Besides just "do it".

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Serious Cephalopod posted:

Use your phone to record yourself. Audio and visual. Do your jokes normally on one recording, and in s very exaggerated way in another. Impersonate am energetic comedian in one recording. Watch them when you're done, compare the audience reaction. Compare your physical movements.

If your problem isn't that you don't know what sort of energy to bring, but rather that you feel uncomfortable bringing energy into your act, I find that impersonating wrestling announcers helps me amp up my energy. Also, people get really excited when you holler " let's get ready to ruuuuumble!"

Also, of you want to post YouTube videos for critique I will totally critique your performance.

Absolutely, I'd love to hear some feedback: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jSN9d68iAI

That's my most recent set from this past weekend (my 8th time up on stage).

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Serious Cephalopod posted:

Notes as I watch your video:

You're stepping on your punchlines by not giving people enough time to laugh.

You need more bravado. Your light up shoes joke is good and had a good tag, but if you say "... When I lay my beautiful head down on my pillow" and say it like you don't feel confident being beautiful, it's awkward.

I don't know why no one laughed at the going to prison to avoid work joke.

Your energy over all is really low. Strike that- you start out low and seem to gain energy from audience reaction. You're supposed to be putting energy into the audience, not the other way around.

Are you doing the box step on stage?

You've got some really solid jokes and you got good audience reaction. You can improve by maintaining a consistent energy and paying more attention to your on stage movements.

Thanks for the honest feedback. I am confident in my writing, I know it's my performance that's hurting it. I'll try to come out more energetic this weekend and see how it goes. I'll also try to be a bit more "in place", not stationary, but less unneeded movements.

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Love Stole the Day posted:

The Ralphie May video I quoted above this post here might be really good for you to watch:

• Don't drink at the club
  • Don't bring your notes on stage - learn your material and be professional
  • Shave the facial hair - there's a reason why female comedians pull their hair back and why there aren't any people with beards and whatnot on TV

Maybe it's just because I'm not Canadian, but you seem extremely nervous and awkward on the stage. It's not in a funny way, either....

You're also extremely monotone. Your voice is uninteresting to listen to -- it's like Ben Stein from Ferris Bueller. Case and point @1:45

I stopped watching halfway through because it was just too awkward.

I don't think his facial hair advice is as relevant today as it was then, pop culture has accepted beards, just off the top of my head both Zach Galifinakis and Louis C.K. have facial hair.

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

XIII posted:

I'd be hesitant to say that those Urban Dictionary style "sex position" jokes were Patrice's either though.

They 100% weren't, nobody who knew him would dispute that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Mescal posted:

I see your point, but I don't think it applies in every case. The bit in question is funny because it's long. I mean it's funny at the beginning too, but if I cut it down there would be no concept--it's a meditation on, and in-depth analysis of a silly subject that deserves no such attention. I like stuff like that, hence the mention of Stewart Lee.

I like to talk for five minutes from the perspective of a person who's either not sane or living in an alternate universe. And when I commit and the mood's right, people are more than happy to join me on the crazy train to anywhere.

I ended up doing one of these weird conceptual bits for the show in question. The mic was wireless so I walked around the whole place, even upstairs making a loop around the balcony, which was fun. I definitely got their attention for my set. I think it went pretty well.

I was a wreck beforehand though, I was sure everybody'd hate me, and I don't usually get nervous any more.

I think you're missing the point a little bit. You do stand up to find the bits that always work, not the ones that work if you commit and the mood's right.