Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Teeth says it's a rodent of some kind. Maybe a mole or a gopher?

Moles have a similarly delicate zygomatic arch but eastern moles are too small. 7 inches is huge, and if complete, this skull would be about half that.

But probably not gopher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The incomplete zygomatics are totally throwing me off. Are they both broken?

It also seems like all the teeth are missing, along with the ends of the premaxillary that would have supported them.

I'm not too sure about rodent. I went down this list of oklahoma mammals looking at their skulls and none of them have partial zygomatics, which is why I'm thinking the ones on your skull are broken.

I'm no skull-ologist but this one is kind of stumping me.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

The incomplete zygomatics are totally throwing me off. Are they both broken?

It also seems like all the teeth are missing, along with the ends of the premaxillary that would have supported them.

I'm not too sure about rodent. I went down this list of oklahoma mammals looking at their skulls and none of them have partial zygomatics, which is why I'm thinking the ones on your skull are broken.

I'm no skull-ologist but this one is kind of stumping me.

If they're broken, they're each broken in exactly the same place in exactly the same way.
I agree that the premaxillaries are probably missing.
The geometry of the skull didn't seem to fit rodents well. There are also no molars; no teeth of any kind in the skull.
We're usually pretty good at bone ology, but were stumped too.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

apatite posted:

"Early" bear hunting season is not until September, not sure if it is possible to get a nuisance permit but probably wouldn't bother trying. If it keeps coming back to gently caress with stuff the "appropriate" method of dealing with it is to call the state conservation dept. and they will shoot it or trap it or give it picinick baskets, depending on their mood at the time.

We have the privilege of being the place where the rest of the state dumps their nuisance "problem bears" to get them away from campsites/camps etc. Works out real great for us, as you can see.

Really we just need to not be dumb n00bs that leave foot outside overnight after -cooking delicious meats in the open air-
Or just eat all of the bear before the cops show up.

Failing that eat the cops too.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Parts Kit posted:

Or just eat all of the bear before the cops show up.

Failing that eat the cops too.

It has not come back, or at least has not hosed with anything (there isn't any food or garbage outside, this probably helps).

Since you all have some incredible blood lust though, I did murder two porcupines which are an unprotected species in this state and you can murder them whenever and as often as you want with just a small game hunting license.

There are still plenty more on the property, I've been giving them a free pass for almost a year and the population exploded again. These two were killing mature hard maple trees, of all things.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Suffer not the prickly ones to live.

I'm sorry about your generator, did it survive?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Suffer not the prickly ones to live.

I'm sorry about your generator, did it survive?

Yeah it was the chinagen so it had no problems, still works fine

(like this:)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

What he said.

apatite, my dumb rear end is now attempting to learn to dovetail.

I have some lovely wood, some lovely chisels, and moxxy. Let's see what happens next.

Current count: 10/10 fingers.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I hear porcupine are the tastiest meat. We need a status report.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cannon_Fodder posted:

What he said.

apatite, my dumb rear end is now attempting to learn to dovetail.

I have some lovely wood, some lovely chisels, and moxxy. Let's see what happens next.

Current count: 10/10 fingers.

Sharp chisels make dovetailing a lot easier.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Frogmanv2 posted:

Sharp chisels make basically any operation using chisels easier...

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Frogmanv2 posted:

I got a dremel this weekend. Now to figure out how to sharpen poo poo without losing bodyparts...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I got a dremel this weekend. Now to figure out how to sharpen poo poo without losing bodyparts...

Probably not using a dremel...

The cheapest way is probably to get a piece of flat glass or stone (kitchen supply places often have flat granite offcuts, glass suppliers might well have float glass offcuts) and several grits of wet/dry paper, plus probably some sort of honing guide.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would guess the cheapest way would be to buy a fine flat file, clamp it firmly in a vise, and then work the beveled side of the chisel down the file surface. Once it's reasonably sharp, you'd do the same thing, but with a whetstone instead of a file.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
The only ways I have seen it done online through my brief research have been grinders and I don't own one (closest thing I had was the dremel).

I def. need a whetstone though. Thanks gents.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Not with a dremel. Especially for chisels. You'll get an edge, or at least something resembling one, but won't get the consistent edge you need with stuff like chisels and other such tools.

Sharpening comes up in the TFR knife thread from time to time. Personally I am a whore for using DMT dia-sharps after having used a set of water stones (that had to be regularly re-flattened since I was sharpening a straight razor) for a while. They are not cheap though. I've got posts in that thread on the stuff I've used so far if you want to filter for that, if nothing else might help you find the conversations faster since that's a long rear end thread.

As for guides, I really like this DIY solution from said thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417183&pagenumber=81&perpage=40#post405421909

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cannon_Fodder posted:

The only ways I have seen it done online through my brief research have been grinders and I don't own one (closest thing I had was the dremel).

I def. need a whetstone though. Thanks gents.

Grinders are great for putting an initial edge on something, but they aren't great for really sharp edges. If you have a lathe and are constantly needing to resharpen tools, then sure, but you don't use those for dove tailing.

Get a hone guide, some whetstones and you will be fine. You can use the dremel to take out any nicks or to put a new angle on your chisel, then then whetstones to get them really sharp.

Or look up the scary sharp method, which is the sandpaper on glass/granite/flat hard surface.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

There exists a dremel tool for exactly this. It's just a shame they didn't just make it an attachment that your dremel powers.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Ozmiander posted:

There exists a dremel tool for exactly this. It's just a shame they didn't just make it an attachment that your dremel powers.

That looks both needlessly complex and fragile. Also probably a bit spendy, knowing dremel.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Magnus Praeda posted:

That looks both needlessly complex and fragile. Also probably a bit spendy, knowing dremel.

It'll probably be totally fine and reasonably high quality. Coming with thirty replacement sharpening stones.

But no replacements for the fiddliest of tiny screws that hold said stones in place that you absolutely will lose after replacing the stone once. No one will offer this screw for sale on the internet anywhere. Go buy a whole new unit.

I loving hate dremel and rotary tools in general.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

I want to make a gif from all these pictures taken last night at the start of a WICKED thunderstorm..... dancing trees.... back to having problems getting files off my phone though :)

It is very interesting when a serious summer storm like this approaches.

Maybe we can get you to feel it through the internet.. The gif would help.

You are standing in a clearing in the woods, surrounded by 30-50ft trees. The smoke from your cigarette wafts upwards, hardly a breeze in the air. Birds are all around you in the treetops singing their delightful songs-- aside from this and the trickle of water in the stream you hear nothing.

The leaves start to rustle for a moment as you continue to fiddle with a string trimmer carburetor.

The sky begins to darken.

The trees begin to bend and then spring back.

You look up, a storm is approaching at 30-40mph.

The trees are now dancing and a light mist is falling.

Cue darker sky.

It is almost as dark as night

BOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM lightning and thunder at the same time, so close the old dog pisses herself and howls.

The trees are bending sideways, the rain begins to pour.......

Your cigarette is wet and your string trimmer carburetor is full of rainwater. Defeated, the only option is retreat.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

This is right before the rain started, you can see the last frame gets blurry due to rain drop

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Enjoying nature while smoking a cigarette :negative:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

goodness posted:

Enjoying nature while smoking a cigarette :negative:

And fixing a gasoline powered internal combustion engine.

My "carbon footprint" would still be smaller than most if I walked around all day puffing on huge fat rich guy cigars, don't get your panties in a bunch.

I bet you use power from a coal fired power plant? *flicks cig at you*

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

apatite posted:

My "carbon footprint" would still be smaller than most if I walked around all day puffing on huge fat rich guy cigars, don't get your panties in a bunch.

He/she's probably more concerned for your lungs or your ability to appreciate your bounty* with all five senses.

(*depending on mosquito levels)

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

That's not so bad, then. I appreciate the concern. (the mosquitos are terrible)

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Smoking helps keep the mosquitos away! :science:

Also long time lurker... love the thread, secretly plotting ways to buy a big piece of land in the wilderness myself.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cigarettes have a pretty minimal carbon footprint, because both tobacco and paper are made from plants, and plants take their carbon from the atmosphere. There's still some carbon footprint from manufacture and transport, but no more than any typical consumer product really.

Smoking will still probably kill you, though. If you're lucky you'll be like my best friend's mom: she was having back pain, went into the hospital, turned out her cancer had already metastasized and she was riddled with it, and she died in two weeks. She was in her fifties.

At least consider switching to e-cigs. You'll still be taking nicotine, but your lungs will be in a lot less danger from all the tar and combustion products.

ANYWAY that interlude about the rain was very poetic and makes me want to go be outside in the woods again, so thanks for that. Can you give us any status update on your housebuilding progress? Or has that basically stalled while you do some work and earn some money, etc.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Life is good!!!!!! Enjoy it while it lasts you might slip in the shower and kill yourself tomorrow

apatite fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 16, 2016

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

apatite posted:

I meant you are killing yourself while trying to enjoy life. Pretty dumb after all this work you have done.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

goodness posted:

I meant you are killing yourself while trying to enjoy life. Pretty dumb after all this work you have done.

I see you have trained thoroughly in the art of persuasion. Clearly apatite will see the ERROR OF HIS WAYS now. If only there were more people like you, the scourge of smoking would have been vanquished years ago!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I see you have trained thoroughly in the art of persuasion. Clearly apatite will see the ERROR OF HIS WAYS now. If only there were more people like you, the scourge of smoking would have been vanquished years ago!

Reading this thread and seeing the passion op has about this project and life in general, it was just baffling honestly to learn that he smoked. I would have though all this hard work would have imparted an appreciation for health and life.

goodness fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 14, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
not to backseat mod the thread, but can you guys gently caress off with the smoking holier than thou nonsense? Yeah we get it. I don't smoke, he does, you guys don't, no one is going to change over an internet argument and all it will do is poo poo up the thread. I want to read about apatite's adventures, not you guys smugging at each other. I doubt he wants to read it either, and this kind of stupid goonery only serves to get people to walk away and give up on their thread entirely.

apatite, I know how you feel about not making any progress, I haven't gotten a drat thing done in like a week or two. I keep saying I'm going to, and then getting home from work late and going right to sleep. Ever figure out that wonky generator issue you were having? I forget.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
loving goons ruining SA.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

kastein for president 2016

apatite fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 16, 2016

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

apatite posted:

Should we now have a discussion about my over the top alcohol / marijuana consumption? (please let's not)

WHY ARE YOU MAKING A WONDERFUL LIFE FOR YOURSELF AND THEN DIMINISHING YOUR ABILITY TO PERCEIVE IT, HUH?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

apatite posted:

Have mentioned it in the thread before but I sometimes have serious depression issues / frequent existential crises... All this hard work didn't impart anything on me, it is an outlet for my frustrations with the world in general and the oft repeated feeling that my participation in it is absolutely meaningless and it would not matter one little bit if I drop dead right this moment.

People close to me have died from heart attacks, freak car accidents, drunk drivers, TREES FALLING ON THEM IN THE WOODS, cancer, all sorts of poo poo. Hopefully some day soon I will quit smoking but in the mean time let's have a foot race and see who wins? (Hint: I am in pretty fuckin badass physical shape and live an active lifestyle beyond many people's grasp)

kastein for president 2016

Should we now have a discussion about my over the top alcohol / marijuana consumption? (please let's not)

So your solution to not feeling like you had an effect on the world was to remove yourself from it even further? I would understand if you wanted to separate yourself from the troubles of the world, which is my motivation for building a sustainable community. But if you lack the fulfillment of making an impact than moving away from everything seems counterintuitive.

I would like to know what you consider over the top marijuana consumption :350:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

goodness posted:

So your solution to not feeling like you had an effect on the world was to remove yourself from it even further? I would understand if you wanted to separate yourself from the troubles of the world, which is my motivation for building a sustainable community. But if you lack the fulfillment of making an impact than moving away from everything seems counterintuitive.

Right! It is a nifty self-fulfilling prophecy where everybody including me can go gently caress themselves.

Have a few pics because I'm being unnecessarily combative today and we should all like, totally try to get along, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Ah, the North Eastern Tobacco-Hating Woodwiener. Life truly finds a way.

• Locked thread