Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Holy dicks, I just caught up.

I've always lived in an urban atmosphere. My first camping experience was fourth of july last year (Northern Lower Penninsula, MI).

You've inspired me to dick around with tools. I made a pallet garden last Friday! Had a great time. I'm in the process of stripping paint off an old antique mirror then restoring the wood. Let's see where this takes me.

Thanks to everyone here, especially apatite for being badasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Backov posted:

$10 is lowballing it. $20. This is a finite commodity.

Don't forget, it's "Hand Made", "Gluten Free", "Free Range", "Organic", "Low Sodium", and most of all "Gourmet".

Don't sell yourself short, apatite

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

You stroking out, buddy?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I burned out my drill trying to make a hammock stand.

Cordless drills are stupid.

Where do you thrifty motherfuckers find cheap tools?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Garage sales.

Oh, well loving duh.

Quit following me around, making sense 100 HOGS AGREE.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I didn't have a need for a power drill so I bought a Black and Decker one for like 30 bucks and it died the first time I tried to use it like an adult.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

JEEVES420 posted:

I have had a Black and Decker cordless drill for like 10 years now and it has done just fine. I do a ton of woodworking and have used it for all kinds of projects. Granted I know when to use it and have a corded drill for heavier duty jobs. Don't assume it will do any and all drill work and its not a piece of poo poo.

I didn't have any tools a year ago. I have no experience with tools.

I started loving around with quadcopters and built a set around that, but that doesn't really include a nice corded drill. Mayhaps that's my next purchase. I had no luck this weekend on garage sales.

That said, my hammock stand is now complete. I felt pretty great having made something that wouldn't go away when I turned off the computer (I spend wayyy too much time playing video games). It felt even better when I caught 2 of my roommates sharing the hammock, fully blowing my mind that it would hold 2 normal-sized people without collapsing.

Warm fuzzies all around. Once again, thanks for the inspiration, apatite.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Faerunner posted:

Kreg Jig(tm).

Thanks!

I'm not really understanding what the Kreg Jig is, do you have a bit more info? I looked up the site but it's a bit over my head.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I found out my friend, who works at Lowe's, has access to some pretty cool reclaimed wood. I might need to keep trying my hand at this woodwork poo poo, since I think I've caught the bug.

I've also caught my knuckle on a carriage bolt and skinned it down to the gooey white stuff. I'm fairly sure it's terminal.

My soft, velvety, IT hands cannot handle the goddamn heat, apparently.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

:3: The girlfriend and the cat seem to like it.

This is the last I'll mention it in this thread, I'm sorry I highjacked it.

Come back, apatite... This is what happens when I'm left alone.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I'm pretty jealous of your sustainable living.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Don't under estimate how much you could gouge us though.

Not empty quoting.

I would 1000% rather help an SA person than whatever company sells a comparable product.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

apatite posted:

There are a couple of spiders that have been living in our house with us for over a year, they don't bother anybody they just eat bugs. All hail the spider king!

You mean dogs. :colbert:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693793

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

apatite posted:

We are moving up in the world. 3.2 ft^3 electric fridge/freezer and pure sine wave inverter.

Now I can ditch that stupid giant 1950s propane Servel fridge that takes up as much space as a 275gal water tank and uses more propane than our kitchen stove/oven and water heater combined. It doesn't even have much space in it for food, it's just gigantic.

:boom:

Very nice. I went the opposite route. I live with about 7 people in a slum and we just picked up a mini-fridge to host our drinks, since I'm not drinking warm beer and there's no room in the regular fridge. :(

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Suffer not the prickly ones to live.

I'm sorry about your generator, did it survive?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

What he said.

apatite, my dumb rear end is now attempting to learn to dovetail.

I have some lovely wood, some lovely chisels, and moxxy. Let's see what happens next.

Current count: 10/10 fingers.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Frogmanv2 posted:

Sharp chisels make dovetailing a lot easier.

I got a dremel this weekend. Now to figure out how to sharpen poo poo without losing bodyparts...

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
The only ways I have seen it done online through my brief research have been grinders and I don't own one (closest thing I had was the dremel).

I def. need a whetstone though. Thanks gents.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Ah, the North Eastern Tobacco-Hating Woodwiener. Life truly finds a way.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Do you get any turtles out there?

:3:

I like turtles.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

DreadLlama posted:

I asked in the metalworking thread and I'm 95% sure I'll be heading to civilization between now and October to buy an oxy/mapp welder.

In the meantime I found some maple trees a while ago and according to your thread there's money in those trees so now I kind of really want you to post thousands of pictures of of your evaporator because I'm kind of planning to copy you.

It looks like you're using that 20L as a holding tank and preheating the sap around your chimney. I remember thinking that was nifty when I first saw it. But how are you metering the flow rate? Have you got a float valve in the top of that tank? Manipulating the height of a float valve inside a tank would be how I'd control flow rate. Like, a fluid will act as though its head is only as high as the height of the float valve filling it. So you could have a 30 meter tall holding tank feeding into your 20L tank, and if you've got a float valve 7 inches off the bottom, it only flows like there's 7 inches of water, total. I believe this is how carburetors work. What did you do?

He's so much a man that he simply wills it done.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Snow inside too? Tough break, dude.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
:bubblewoop:

Welcome back!

I recently found out that milkweed is basically all Monarch Butterflies eat and their numbers are dwindling. How much milkweed is around you?

Also, what's the progress on your orchard? Have you and your horses(dogs) made any progress at setting it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Keetron posted:

Hey, did you survive Snowpocalypse 2016?

Also, more pics?

He's dead, Jim.

• Locked thread