Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

But won't they be upside down? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yes, but you can apply a 180 degree rotation upon import in your editor of choice.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Yeast posted:

Don’t worry the lenses will work in other countries too.

But the focus rings will work the other way.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I have a z50 and I just bought a 28-200 as an all around outdoor lens and I’ve been pleased with it. I’m wondering though if I should return it and get that new 28-400? Over kill for shooting kids sports and such?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Keep the 24-200. 400mm (600mm) is cool for birding, but probably way more than you need for kids sports. 28mm (42mm) on the wide end is pretty cramped on a crop camera, too.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

therattle posted:

But the focus rings will work the other way.

Most non-Nikon users would say that's the right way. :smugissar:

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Any suggestions on what to look for to get a couple older used lenses for a Nikon D200? My mom gave me her old D200 and a fairly cheap-feeling 70-300 lens over the weekend and I'm having a lot of fun shooting with it. Very different experience than my Olympus E-M5 I've mostly been shooting with, and a few of the images I got out of it just playing around have really impressed me for the age of the camera. I'd like to get one or two shorter lenses to play around with but am a bit overwhelmed by the sheer number of options out there. I'm thinking maybe a 35-50ish equivalent prime and a shorter zoom lens would be fun to grab and mess around with.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The 17-55 2.8 DX is an amazing lens for the price these days.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I adore my 35mm 1.8 its so cheap but so so so so good

I also really love my Sigma 18-35 1.8 but that's getting up there in price. Might not be worth spending $800 on a lens for a body that old.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
35mm 1.8 DX is a no brainer for a DX owner. They go for £50 on second hand sites these days, buy 2!

For standard zooms the 18-55 2.8 is good if a bit hefty. 16-80 is an excellent do it all travel lens now it's come down in price. (Forgot this was an E lens so won't work properly)

Worth noting any lenses that are newer AF-P lenses won't work on the D200. AF, AF-S, AF-I, G and D lenses all work fine. The AI, AI-S and E will partially work.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 2, 2024

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Thanks! Looking at the 35mm 1.8 now and will definitely grab one second hand for that price. The 17-55 also looks like a good option if I can find a deal, will keep an eye out.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Get the 16-80mm f/2.8-4 VR over the 17-55mm if you can find it cheap. It's optically very good and the DX 24-120 VR equivalent. E: forgot it doesn't work on the D200.

16-85mm might also be a good option. Sigma also has some good zoom lenses in this range, their 17-50 can be found cheap.

35mm is a nobrainer.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 2, 2024

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Should note that I started my wildlife stuff with the uber cheap 70-300. It's an okay lens that gives you good reach for local birds and squirrels and bunnies n' stuff if you're into that.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Also consider the small 24/28/50/60 F2.8 D primes.
They go for pretty cheap and are fun lenses.

Optically they have soft corners but as intended for FF a DX camera chops those off anyway.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
D200 is pretty noisy at high ISO but with the new AI denoise stuff I'm getting a lot of mileage out of my old D200 NEFs. I only wish I hadn't shot so many irredeemable JPEGs with it. Was I too lazy for post processing back then? Dumb.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

Mega Comrade posted:

Also consider the small 24/28/50/60 F2.8 D primes.
They go for pretty cheap and are fun lenses.

Optically they have soft corners but as intended for FF a DX camera chops those off anyway.

I'll second this and add a rec for a 20mm for their compactness. Full frame lenses excel on DX/half-frame plus have extra utility if you ever acquire a full frame body.

There's an almost exhaustive catalog of Nikkor glass at this link if you're feeling particularly detail oriented whilst shopping around: http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/specs.html

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
50mm 1.8 is also an amazing lens for the price and if the D200 is a 2/3 frame the it works really well as a short portrait telephoto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Anyone shoot with the AF-S 28mm 1.4E? Is it really a massive step up from a 24-70 2.8? I don’t care if I lose the zoom as I usually shoot on the wide end.